3. Minnesota

4. C.C.

5. Wisconsin

6. DU

7. SCSU

8. MSU-M

9. MTU

10. UAA

UND is still a good team without Bucks and Zack.

The WC has been so boring with the lackluster play of the US that I guess I'll get ready for college hockey with some picks.

1. UND

2. Wisco

3. UMD

4. CC

5. MN

6. Denver

7. SCSU

8. MTU

9. UAA

10. Mankato

Want to place 10 frosh MN lower but can't see anyone below that passing them (except maybe Denver).

2. Wisconsin

3. Minny

4. Duluth

5. MI Tech :0 They have some scoring. A few good D-man. A goalie that is capable of winning games and a good incoming class by Tech standards. This is still an off the wall pick, but I do see them getting better the next couple of years.

6. CC

7. Denver

8. Cloud

9. Kato

10. AA - I see them coming close to their winless record a few years ago.

WI and UND should be the top two teams. WI has a very loaded roster.

After that it is a crapshoot. The Gophers were hit hard with departures, but like usual have a strong incoming class. Plus if Potulny stays healthy he should put up good numbers.

Duluth, CC and Denver are all about in the same boat IMO, Duluth and Denver lost the most. Denver lost the most, but always does better than they should. I see these three fighting for for the middle, although all have a chance at 3rd.

I really don't think Tech will finish 5th, but I think they could with their roster. Plus if they actually do well, I can go back to this post and pretend I know what I'm talking about. :p

Cloud should have be good in net, which can win games. But man do they look crappy after that.

Kato should be better than last year. They can't get any worse.

AA is going to be terrible. What few good players they had last year are all gone. Alaska is a beautiful place to visit, but I can't blame people for not wanting the 10 hour plane rides every other weekend.

2. UW

3. Minny

4. UMD

5. CC

6. Denver

7. SCSU

8. Da Tech

9. MSUM

10. UAA

I agree with a lot of what jloos says, but I don't see it happening quite that way for Tech. Unlike UAA, Tech was able to retain some of their star players, but MSUM and UAA lost a lot this off season.

SCSU still doesn't have it down the stretch, but I'd expect them to start strong. UMD does a LOT with relatively little up front, so I think they could give Minny a run for their money for the #3 spot.

I believe the top five slots are going to be tight this year. Tighter than last year.

UW is #2 by their potential. Bruckler had a great year last year but the year before wasn't so good. If he can keep up his numbers, he'll give the Badgers a chance to make a strong run against the Sioux.

Denver has simply lost too much to truly contend, but even so, Gauther and Statsny (who could walk away with WCHA ROTY honors) should keep them afloat. Remember that Berkhoel stunk the first half of the season last year and they won the NC.

The sorry loser goes to UAA. I don't know how Hill is going to keep his job after this season, but I hope he does. UAA coaching is like coaching the Bengals or the Devil Rays. There really is no great way to win with this team. Yes, Hill did recruit these guys, but junior performance doesn't always equate to NCAA production. Plus, the location of the school has a detrimental effect on recruiting.

1. UND - Guys will step up and score. Defense is second to none.

2. UMD - Very close at the top. UND would be wise not to need another season sweep if they want to win the WCHA.

3. UW - These clowns are a lot more likely to underachieve than either UND or UMD.

4. UM - Could fall out of home ice if injuries occur.

5. DU - Nice group but like the U of M needs to find a way to replace Berkhoel, Caldwell, Dora, James, Kieth, Bull and Laatsch. I think DU is the most likely of my home ice teams to falter.

6. CC - They will have to win a lot of 2-1, 3-2 games to gain home ice.

7. SCSU - This might be generous.

8. AA - I really have no idea but it appeared that King, Glencross, and Fournier were their best players at the Final Five, none of whom return.

9. MSU - Should play in several entertaining games again.

10. MTU - If the existing proposal to enforce the rules occurs they have no chance.

My picks from last year, some good some bad. Here is the thread.

1. UND - Glorious return to the top. Claims the McNaughton anchor.

2. UM - Fail to capture the "ultimate", settle for another NC.

3. DU - Down again, up again, down, guessing an "up" season.

4. UMD - Scoring questions.

5. CC - Probably the only team in top five that could lose home ice.

6. SCSU - I can hear the whining about Dahl already.

7. MSU - More of their ties turn to losses than wins.

8. UW - I just love putting them down here.

9. MTU - Still better than AA.

10. AA - Three wins.

1. UND

2. Wisco

3. UMD

4. CC

5. MN

6. Denver

7. SCSU

8. MTU

9. UAA

10. Mankato

Want to place 10 frosh MN lower but can't see anyone below that passing them (except maybe Denver).

I agree with this prediction except I would swap 9 and 10.

I cannot see Alaska finishing everywhere but last. I agree with jloos' comments - after losing most of their top players and scorers they could have a repeat of their winless season.

Ok, because I'm so impatient this year I'll give my picks. Only a handful of weeks!

UND - A different season than we've had in awhile. All defense/goaltending, young great scoring. This should work in our favor. How about we return the favor against Bucky.

UM - I'd love to see us put them back in the cellar, but we only get to see them once...and early at that. They'll surprise a lot. Even with a highly unpolished team.

UMD - Sandy takes his team (almost) to the top again. This time without Hobey Lessard.

CC - Ok, I know they hardly have anyone, but I need a surprise pick. Last year they were young. They have great goalies, and I think they could jump on some teams. Their home ice struggle may just pay off this year, but they'll get injured against UW in the 1st round WCHA, and not make the NCAA tourney.

UW - Even without Suter they'll be potent...wait...can't remember if he's gone or not. I think he is...if they have him I'd put them ahead of UMD. Good young team regardles. I hate Robbie Earl.

DU - I think they'll be ready for a defense, but once again, they'll have to do it from 4/5th place...if they're lucky.

MTU - How about their goons and great scorers learn to play defense? Maybe we give them home ice? I don't think so, but they won't miss it by too much.

SCSU - Who do they have again? Even with an empty cabinet they have some good series and/or players who completely surprise (coole). This year...much like last year.

MSUM - This team is my sleeper pick :p:p Just wait, they'll jump out on UND in their first conference series...What? Oh, right, MANKATO! Yeah, they've got no chance.

AA - I feel really bad for Hill and his troops. They worked hard last year. I can't believe I'd say Fatty Fornier would make a difference, but he does/did. Glencross scored a great goal against UMD...slapper from just inside the zone. Good luck, but don't count on seeing Seawolves in the big dance :0

I can't wait!! Bring on Manitoba, drop the puck.

It appears that 6 teams have a legitimate chance of competing for the WCHA title and an NCAA title and very little separates these teams.

1. Wisconsin--the best goaltender in the league and the most returning players. Scoring may be an issue, but they were very young last year.

2. UND--The Sioux lose too much scoring with Parise and Bochenski. They will still be in the hunt with the best defense in the league, and could win the league if they can get balanced scoring. Freshmen forwards need to contribute right away.

3. CC--Great defense with Petiot, Stuart and Sweat, good goaltending with Zaba and McElhinny, and a lot of team speed. Question mark will be scoring.

4. UMD--Lose 2 key players with Lessard and Geisler, but have a lot of returning scorers with Schwabe, Stapleton, Hambly, Brosz and Caig. The D does not impress me that much, but Sandelin is a great defensive coach and seems to get more out of less talent than any coach in the league. This team could contend for title if D is solid.

5. Denver and UM (tie). Minnesota lost the most, but the well is not dry (Guyer, Tallackson, Irmen, Potulny, good freshmen class). UM reloads rather than rebuilds. Denver has a very good defense with Carle, Skinner, Laatsch and Larson. Lose key player with Berkhoel. If Denver gets great goaltending again, watch out. They have enough talent to beat anyone.

7. St. Cloud--has some talent, but always fade in the 2nd half with Dahl. Many off ice problems. However, transfer goalie Goepfert is supposedly very solid.

8. Mankato--last year was an abherration. Always competes.

9. MTU--some talent, but until they actually start winning, will be slated at or near the bottom.

10. AAU--lost what little talent that they had.

Very tight top 5-6 teams.

1. UND, UMD and UW. All 3 of these teams will be very good. UMD and UW should be able to score. If UND can score, they will win the McNaughton again.

4. C.C. They have 2 solid Goalies and good D. Also have a pretty good incoming call.

5. UM. Lost alot, but should still stay at home for the playoffs.

6. Denver. Big suprise last year, could they do it again?

7. SCSU. They will start off hot and fall apart by Jan.-Feb. :p

8. MTU. They still have Connor. They also add a new goon, who can score (supossedly).

9. MSU-M. Not as bad as UAA.

10. UAA. Lost most of their talent from last year (including the new pro superstar, Fournier).

Less than a month until the Manitoba game...drop the puck.

UW - Even without Suter they'll be potent...wait...can't remember if he's gone or not. I think he is...if they have him I'd put them ahead of UMD. Good young team regardles. I hate Robbie Earl.

What are you guys seeing with UofWisconsin. I am not seeing that great of a team. I see a team that is really young with a decent goalie that gets hot. I think UofM an UND are more talented...

What are you guys seeing with UofWisconsin. I am not seeing that great of a team. I see a team that is really young with a decent goalie that gets hot. I think UofM an UND are more talented...

I agree. UW is young. REALLY young, but exceptionally talented. Earl is a great player but he isn't a Vanek or Parise. Suter is probably the best young defenseman in the WCHA, possibly the NCAA. However, they are still too young.

Bernd is a great goaltender when he gets in the zone in the net. If you rock him early, he's done. He had a great season last year, I won't deny him that, but his previous years were nothing to write home about. The big question is which Bruckler shows up this season. If last season's Bruckler shows up, they will be close to UND for #1. If not, they will be contending for the #3 spot behind UMD or UMinn

Wisconsin Records 03-04

Overall 22-13-8 (123 GF, 93 GA)

WCHA 14-7-7 (85 GF, 62 GA)

Home 11-6-6 (65 GF, 48 GA)

Away 10-5-2 (54 GF, 37 GA)

Last years scoring leaders

Rene Bourque, LW, Sr 42 16 20 36 0.86 74 3 1 0

Ryan MacMurchy, F, So 43 15 13 28 0.65 95 3 2 1

Robbie Earl, F, Fr 42 14 13 27 0.64 46 3 6 0

Dan Boeser, D, Sr 43 8 14 22 0.51 10 2 1 0

Andrew Joudrey, F, Fr 42 7 15 22 0.52 2 0 2 1

Tom Gilbert, D, So 39 6 15 21 0.54 36 1 4 0

Jake Dowell, F, Fr 37 6 13 19 0.51 48 0 2 0

Adam Burish, F, So 43 6 13 19 0.44 63 1 0 2

Ryan Suter, D, Fr 39 3 16 19 0.49 93 0 1 0

Ross Carlson, F, Fr 23 6 11 17 0.74 20 1 3 0

Jeff Likens, D, Fr 39 4 13 17 0.44 38 2 3 0

A.J. Degenhardt, C, So 43 8 8 16 0.37 14 2 0 1

Andy Wozniewski, D, Sr 43 6 8 14 0.33 104 1 3 0

Nick Licari, C, So 43 2 7 9 0.21 32 0 0 0

Mark Heatley, F, Fr

They only lose two seniors (and no early departures) and have a very good senior goalie.

I'm still only willing to put them into unordered 'groups' at this point.

Top group:

UND, UMD, Wisconsin.

Concerns for each?

- The Sioux lose offense.

- The Bulldogs lose leadership (Lessard and Geisler).

- The Badgers, because of the unbalanced WCHA schedule, play Minnesota, UMD, and UND four times each this year. (Last year they only had Minnesota for four and didn't go to Duluth or Grand Forks. That could be their tripping point.)

The middle group:

CC, DU, Minnesota, SCSU

The trailing group:

MSU-Mankato, MTU, UAA

I could maybe see MTU and SCSU switching groups. Minnesota's inexperienced defense keeps them in the middle group but they'll probably make a late run at the top group.

I agree to a large degree with Sica's picks, with the following exceptions: I predict MTU will finish in the middle group and SCSU will not (last group). I also predict DU will finish in the last group. They lose way too much, especially James, Berkoel, and Caldwell (he must have logged more minutes than either goaltender for them last year), for a team that was not impressive in the RS. I think they're going to have a NC hangover too. And any team the Gwoz coaches will suffer mightily on any crackdown of interference/obstruction like the NCAA is claiming to do. Finally, this is an even year and they have struggled for quite some time in the even seasons.

I agree with Sic's groupings except Bucky. Most young teams with great talent get better as the season progresses, last year they didn't. They started fast, and other then a nice series against UND they faded late. They just don't score enough yet, and I don't think Bruckler will match last seasons success. I put them in the middle group. UND and UMD have the best balance and experience, they will fight for the title and should be highly ranked all year. The Gophers are too young to expect much from early, but if the talent comes together could surprise late.

Does anyone have an opinion or info. on CC? Everyone seems to think they don't have any returning goal scorers but if Crabb, Sertich, Slattengren, and, most notably Sterling, can improve on their numbers from last year, they might be in good shape for at least a top 5 position this year, don't you think? They always have solid goaltending and Zaba proved he could play last year as a freshman. So coach Owens has an enviable goaltending delemma-McElhinney or Zaba. CC is my sleeper team that might surprise people.

By the way, who was the joker who picked UND to finish 7th??? I won't necessarily say they'll win the WCHA but really, can he/she honestly say that UND will finish that low?!?!