SiouxSports.com Forum

new players

courtney

Travis Zajac (F) - Salmon Arm Silverbacks (BCHL)- Selected #20 overall in the 1st round of the 2004 NHL Draft by the New Jersey Devils. He plays on the wing. I believe he was among the leading scorers from the BCHL and one of the finalists for BCHL MVP.

Rylan Kaip (F) - Notre Dame (SJHL) - This player is touted to be much like Rory McMahon. He was a 9th round draft pick of the Atlanta Thrashers (or one of the other expansion teams).

Ratislov Spirko (F) - Tri City (USHL) - This short, but skilled winger is one of the fastest in the USHL this past year and has been on two World Junior CHampionship teams for his country (either Czech or Slovakian, I can't remember). He's been a USHL All star at least once.

Kyle Radke (D) - Grande Prairie (AJHL) - Offensive defenseman was surprisingly passed over in the 2004 NHL draft after being projected as a 5th or 6th rounder in some scouting reports. This AJHL Defensive player of the year has a highly touted shot from the point and is very good defensively.

Phillippe Lamareaux (sp?) (G) - Lincoln (USHL): Short, aggressive, and skilled, this goaltender is the ranking USHL Goaltender of the Year.

That's most of what I know. I'm sure what I missed will be be added and what I've gotten incorrect will be corrected.

Feels good to be back in SS land... now

Genoway will most likely be a third center after playing a good portion of last year as 1st or 2nd center (1st while Parise in WJC).

As previously mentioned on this board Murray may try his hand at center, may have played some in BCHL. Also, Stafford could too.

That makes 4...Drop the Puck!

Feels good to be back in SS land... now

Genoway will most likely be a third center after playing a good portion of last year as 1st or 2nd center (1st while Parise in WJC).

As previously mentioned on this board Murray may try his hand at center, may have played some in BCHL. Also, Stafford could too.

That makes 4...Drop the Puck!

no, you're dumb

Here's some 411 on Zajac from Hockey's Future

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=3999

Travis Zajac

Prospect Grade: 7.0 B

(Click Here for info on Prospect Grades)

Profile Contributed By: Jared Ramsden

History

Zajac played for St. James of the MJHL during the 2001-02 season before coming to the Salmon Arm Silverbacks of the BCHL. He quickly became their top scorer, and lead the team to the best record of the BCHL for the 2003-04 season. Zajac was selected to play in the 2004 BCHL All Star Game for the Interior squad, and later after the playoffs were completed was named to the Interior Conference 1st All-Star Team. At the BCHL award ceremonies, Travis walked away with the Most Valuable Player Award for the Interior Conference.

Zajac was selected by the New Jersey Devils, 20th overall in the 1st round of the 2004 NHL Draft and he has committed himself to play for the North Dakota Fighting Sioux of the NCAA in the fall of 2004.

Talent Analysis

Zajac is an especially smart player who has flown under the radar of most scouts until only several months before the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. An absolute game breaker, he is most of all an offensive player with all the tools you could ask for in a potential NHL scoring line player. A strong skater with amazing top-end speed, but even more impressively, he makes great moves while in top speed; a trait even few NHL players possess. Zajac has an edge to his game both physically and offensively. Not happy unless he's won something, he possesses an innate ability to galvanize his teammates both with his on-ice play and his off-ice leadership, and backs it up with great defensive awareness. His skating allows him to rundown almost anybody on the backcheck. This earned him a great deal of penalty-killing responsibilities as the season wore on. Top tier vision gives Zajac an impressive playmaking ability to go along with his already great package. He doesn't go into traffic as much as you'd like to see, nor is he quite as physical from game to game as you'd want.

Future

Zajac, who is just starting his NCAA career at the University of North Dakota will have an impact in New Jersey, but that impact will have to wait. Zajac needs time to fill out his frame, and further develop his game. The feeling from most scouts is that Zajac has the tools to be an impact NHL'er, but what remains to be seen is if he will be a top line scorer, or an elite checker with scoring skills. The Devils should have an even better idea of what to expect in the future from Zajac after he completes his first collegiate season.

Stats

Year

Team

League

GP

G

A

Pts

PIM

2003-04

Salmon Arm

BCHL

2002-03

Salmon Arm

BCHL

Having to wear a number worn last year, which standard would you have to try to live up to: the number for Spirko or Zajac? :0:p

And when's the last time UND had a "34" on the roster?

NDFan: As a recruiting class, this year's juniors were Parise, Prpich, Greene, and Marvin. Fylling also came back from the USHL and Genoway became eligible and started playing with this group (but both only had three years of eligibility remaining). There weren't many open slots behind that big senior class.

• 2 weeks later...
The quote says some coaches think the Sioux went 5 for 5 with impact players.

Question: Anyone ever heard Kaip's name mentioned when it comes to top recruits? Me neither.

"Sleeper" possibly?

I think he could be a Porter type player. He didn't exactly play in a well scouted league, so other teams may not have been familiar with him. If he puts up numbers even close to what Porter did last year he will be an impact player.

I think he could be a Porter type player. He didn't exactly play in a well scouted league, so other teams may not have been familiar with him. If he puts up numbers even close to what Porter did last year he will be an impact player.

If that is indeed the kind of player he is, what a great find.

I wish I could find where it was mentioned, but it was said that Kaip was a player of the style of Rory McMahon.

From the Grand Forks Herald:

Four noted

Four UND players are listed on the Inside College Hockey Web site in rankings of the top forwards, defensemen and goalies joining college hockey as freshmen this season.

Earning the No. 1 ranking among incoming college forwards is UND's Travis Zajac, a first-round draft pick by New Jersey of the NHL last June.

Another Sioux recruit, Rastislav Spirko, is rated No. 5 nationally among the incoming freshmen forwards.

UND recruit Kyle Radke is listed No. 2 among incoming college defensemen, behind Minnesota Gopher recruit Alex Goligoski,

The fourth UND freshman rated highly on the Web site is goalie Phil Lamoureux, who is ranked No. 3 nationally behind Boston College recruit Cory Schneider and New Hampshire recruit Kevin Regan.

The Grande Prairie Storm Webpage (Kyle Radke's Junior Team) says that two polls suggest that ND may place 5th overall Nationally.

I look forward to following the team and players.

Wish I lived close enough to get to some games!

The Grande Prairie Storm Webpage (Kyle Radke's Junior Team) says that two polls suggest that ND may place 5th overall Nationally.

I look forward to following the team and players.

Wish I lived close enough to get to some games!

THe Sioux will be aiming a bit higher than that.

Here is the GP Storm article.

Bashaw, you may want to check out the web cast (pay for) or the free audiocast. Links are on the front page of this site.