SiouxSports.com Forum

It's here!

The Sicatoka

Some of the data appears right-on, while some, shall we say, appears "optimistic." For instance, the likelyhood of both Hale bros. weighing exactly 220 lbs is pretty darn low. However, Massen is now listed at 219 lbs, and I'm sure that is correct.

Brandt is up to 167 lbs. That's good, since we need goaltenders who can stand their ground in net.

As for the heights, perhaps they measured a few guys with their skates on this year!

Tim & Swyg (1440 am) just completed an interview with Dave Hakstol. Just some notes: Watching the team yesterday, Tim said that the thing he noticed most was the lack of a veteran goal tender. There are 4 goal tenders currently at practice, which is a good situation for purely "practice" reasons, as it can be like a shooting gallery out on the ice. The coaching staff expects "ups and downs", but the bar will be set where it's always been, high expectations. Doesn't matter what "others" think the team is capable of, sneaking up on others is just fine. (I'm paraphrasing and these aren't direct quotes -- so please don't quote me on other hockey boards.) As far as high expections, talk turned to Colby Genoway and Zach Parise. As to ZP, Coach Hakstol stated that fans should remember that he, ZP, is an 18 year old freshman who'll be adapting to the WCHA, he's very good but there will be an adjustment. He also stated that once you have one conversation with ZP you'll realize what type of person he is and that he is a mature young man, he'll handle the situation just fine.

A description of the d-men: solid, physical, puck holding, take care of your own end, hard nosed. Opponets will want to keep their head up - Matt Greene 1/2 hit someone yesterday and it was brutal, full-on contact....ouch. Tim stated that "punching is in his repertoire" in regards to MG and that "if someone deserves to be punched" Prpich is the guy to deliver that message. About Brian Canady, it was mentioned that he was injured, was likened to a Burggraf (tough and a fan favorite), they are anxious to have him at full strength. Tim mentioned that the team will probably have to work on their pentalty kill. :D A little talk about who'd replace Ryan Bayda and Tim Skarperud. They're confident players will step forward, using TS as an example from last year as someone who elevated his play. Some lighthearted joking about JN and goal posts.

I didn't catch if any coach, besides FB coach Lennon, will be on the Coaches' Show tonight (6:30pm). I'm assuming that there will be some hockey talk.

jk - no problem, it's the least I can do. The contributors to this board are very informative in your/their speculations. If I was to add my speculations I'd come across as a complete dufus..... so I feel that if I can pass along news tidbits I'm doing a little to "pay my way" on this forum. :D

If I was to add my speculations I'd come across as a complete dufus.....

Then I wouldn't have to be in the boat all by myself. :D

Good info. Sounds like very level comments.

I am curious what comments, if any, were made about Genoway, being his name was mentioned in your post?

Dagies - CG was mentioned specifically (but the phone was ringing off the hook at work and I missed most of the talk on CG). I think, listening with one ear, Tim commented that from 1 day of watching CG practice would it be out of line to think CG will be 2nd line center - Coach Hakstol was non-commital - but it sounded like CG has been impressive.

My biggest fear when posting is that I'll be called a "troll" or likened to everyone's favorite "dwarf from the east", a dufus probably isn't too bad because at the end of the day, to slightly misquote Sally Field - I just want everyone to like me, really like me!!! :D

Over the summer, the expectation for Colby Genoway was that it would take him through December to get comfortable with this level of play. Then, as we get into January, he would be an impact player. I don't think that has changed.

I know he hasn't looked out of place in captains scrimmages, but he hasn't been a dominating player either. He's pretty much been average.

I'd be a little worried about the comments regarding the goaltending. While it is nice to have four guys going for the job, somebody really needs to breakout and take it. However, if the rest of the team does their job and keeps the puck out of our own zone and in the other end, it may be less critical. MAY, being the operative term. :D

I wouldn't worry too much about Genoway. Blais has had him on the shelf for a year, and I doubt he'd waste that on somebody who didn't have the potential to step in and contribute as he got used to the pace of the game.

Nice to hear that Greene is already delivering the goods on the physical side. It should help if "The Matts", David Hale and Schneider step up their protection of our zone, and our shooters. :0

I'd be a little worried about the comments regarding the goaltending. While it is nice to have four guys going for the job, somebody really needs to breakout and take it.

Brandt, Sedevie & Sofie = 3. Who is the fourth goalie?

Great to hear Blais give Parise so much praise. He fielded a question that compared him to Hyrkac, and called him quicker with a great shot to boot. Can't wait to see how he develops over the season. Also glad to see him paired with Bochenski. That is going to be one very dangerous line.

The fourth goalie mentioned in the interview was not "identified".

According to an article in the spring issue of Native Directions about Mark Ranfranz, son of Flandreau-Santee Sioux Tribal President Tom Ranfranz:

"The younger Ranfranz was on the UND hockey team and hopes to rejoin the team during the 2002-2003 season."

Could Ranfranz be the fourth goalie? If so, how would that play at SCSU? :D:0

• 2 weeks later...

While surfing the web I came across an ode penned by a CC Tiger fan (Clay) - it pretty much sums up the anticipation of the coming week/season. Good job Clay, my nomination for "Bard of the WCHA" :

The dog days gone, September fading fast

It's time to check the mail--are tickets here?

To wonder how much longer can we last

'Til our first game--will this year be THE year?

The captains' practice thread (almost a book)

Just whets our appetites. What thrills to come

These first few games? Don't know yet where to look

For that performance sure to leave us numb.

A fresh new face--he scores!--will be the name

On all our lips. "A great shot--did you see?"

The goalie--"Sieve!"--will hear our echoed blame

And vanish into anonymity.

Who'll bring us joy this year, or dark despair?

We'll all know soon--October's in the air!

:D Drop the Puck!!

Nice green board; and since we have poetry, here's a leftover from 2000:

The outlook wasn't brilliant for Hockey East on that day;

When they started they had four teams but now one was still to play.

When Goren scored the 2nd goal and Ulmer did the same,

a sickly silence fell upon the patrons of the game.

The future had been so bright, just 3 short weeks before;

Two conferences had but two teams,

Hockey East had boasted four.

When AKPaul threw down a challenge, there arose a mighty roar;

"Not only will one be crowned the champ, they'll all be in the Frozen Four."

Then UNH was quickly beat, with BU soon to follow;

"Ah ha" cried the doubters from out west,

"don't your boasts now ring hollow?"

"We are the best, we deserve respect," the western fans have sung;

"If you would visit us, play us here, you would see the banners we've hung."

Then from those posters in the east there arose a lusty yell;

It rumbled from the eastern shore clear out to Wisconsin's dells.

"We are not done, you will soon see, with Maine and BC to play;

The talented Eagles and defending Black Bears for us will save the day.

Then finally the games did start, 6 periods of brilliant play;

No team could be declared a loser, but just two were to last beyond the day.

The Eagles of Boston College, brilliant talent far and wide;

The "rebuilding" Sioux of North Dakota, on a magnificent ride.

Soon the puck was dropped, back and forth, the players streaking by;

The wizardry of Jeff Farkas and Jeff Panzer on the fly.

But with the goals, in the third, the eastern crowd grew glum;

"If only Karl would let a third one in we'd have them on the run."

Back and forth the puck was flung, from skate to board to stick;

The tension in the stands and homes was palpable and thick.

"Kill him, Kill the ref" someone shouted in the stands;

And its likely they'd a-killed him had not Jerry raised his hand.

With a smile of Catholic charity, great York's visage shown;

He stilled the rising tumult, he bade the game go on.

Once more the puck was dropped, once more the shots did fly;

But to the disappointment of the Eagles, Karl would let no more go by.

The Eagles were relentless, Farkas, Gionta and Bellefueille;

Hobey Baker Mike Mottau, with Allen, played all day.

Who would be the hero, help proud Clemmensen and his mighty saves;

Those Eagles of Boston College, until the final buzzer, seemed to come in waves.

Oh, somewhere in this famous land the sun is shining bright;

BC's band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light.

And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;

But there is no joy in Beantown, Hockey East has struck out..... (apologies to Ernest Lawrence Thayer)