SiouxSports.com Forum

O-line

Never lost to the Bison

I think we need to quite worrying about d-back and focus on the offensive line. Here is the depth chart.

left tackle-Smith, Bauer

left guard-Braegelmann, Soll

center-Hendrickson, Storhaug

right guard-Kuper, Doescher

right tackle-Hoffelt, Bronson

The only experience is Smith and Kuper. Kuper may be a pre-season all-american but pre-season doesn't mean anything. The young guys may be able to get by on size and speed against some of the weaker opponents (Mankato) but they will need some experience to anchor them against tough teams like Omaha and from what I hear Smith is a soft spoken guy. Are the young guys, Braegelmann and Hoffelt, really ready to assume the starting roll?? Then what if there is an injury, the depth chart is not exactly deep.

It was only a few years ago that we had this type of turnover on the O-Line and it was a bad season.

You can have all the D in the world and a good QB, but if that QB is on his back, it doesn't allow the O to score too many points.

The difference between that season and this season is that they were coming off a National Championship and weren't as hungry the following year. They lost many games by a few points and last year they won those games. They could easily have lost 3 or more games last year without incredible finishes. I just hope they take that into consideration and don't take anyone lightly.

With two full-time starters returning (Smith in his third year of starting; Kuper in his second), plus another guy with some experience (Hendrickson), this is by no means among the least experienced returning offensive lines UND has had. And with 12 of the last 13 seasons being anywhere from solid to outstanding, it certainly appears that the Sioux typically have reloaded on the offensive line as opposed to rebuilding. Mussman's track record is very good in terms of coaching offensive linemen.

Considering that the three guys who graduated included an all-american (Olson) and two second team all-NCC guys (Dokken and Murphy), it's obvious that it was no shame for some of the new starters not to have cracked the lineup last year. In fact, Murphy is a good example of a guy who didn't start until his senior year, but did very well once he got the chance. Hopefully Hendrickson can do something similar in his senior year. I also look for good things over the next two to three years from younger guys like Hoffelt, Braegelmann, Bronson, Bauer, Soll, etc. Plus, with very good recruits like Yilek, Troen and Moe red-shirting, I think UND will be strong on the o-line for years to come.

Didn't Murphy transfer to UND from Wyoming?

Yes, he started out at Wyoming, and transferred to UND with three years of eligibility remaining. I believe he broke into the starting lineup sometime early last season after being a reserve offensive lineman/tight end during his first two years.

• 1 month later...

Neverlost- I don't think you need to worry about the O-line or Grossman... time will tell . From what I know they have reloaded vs rebuilding and all mentioned above will be just fine.. Mussman does a great job with these kids and I know that Greg Lotysz works with a few of these guys on his own time.

You guys have probably one of the best OL coaches in DII in Mussman. It's too bad since he's obviously going to follow in Schweigert's footsteps and become a head coach somewhere. Perhaps he'll stick around until UND goes DI to see if he can get on @ a DI school.

BTW, what's Kuper's story? He's from Alaska!?!

That's funny. The NW Regional cover man thinks this will be the toughest O-line Ferris has faced.

Of course, this troll will not likely be around after the game to eat his smack. We'll see how well Ferris fares at the Alerus in front of 10,000 fans.

That's funny.  The NW Regional cover man thinks this will be the toughest O-line Ferris has faced. Of course, this troll will not likely be around after the game to eat his smack.  We'll see how well Ferris fares at the Alerus in front of 10,000 fans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bob Eblen is a UND homer, what would you expect him to say? The best O line has already been faced in GVSU followed by Findlay. You saw what we did to them. I will be at the game wearing #79 with Bulldog on back and will be celebrating with the team as they fly back together compliments of UND. I am curious to see how you score points without a QB who can throw.

I'm having trouble with the quote button, but Bulldog posted:

"I will be at the game wearing #79 with Bulldog on back ..."

I'm out of state, but let's be sure to welcome him properly, shall we? Something like death by suffocation under a mountain of silly string.

I'm having trouble with the quote button, but Bulldog posted:

"I will be at the game wearing #79 with Bulldog on back ..."

I'm out of state, but let's be sure to welcome him properly, shall we?  Something like death by suffocation under a mountain of silly string.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL... I am the left guard at 6-4 and 327.

Please tell me Ferris has a team policy against talking smack on opponents' websites.  You can't be serious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It really is sad if a player is coming on a message forum and talking smack about his upcoming game---I have a feeing it isn't a player because I would hope they are practicing or lifting or watching tape on Monday afternoon--but it is Ferris so they probably have the day off ??? . That is really sad if it is a player--speaks alot about there program and the discipline we are gonna see on Saturday.

You guys are gonna get whacked by the way. You just don't understand what you are in for this weekend--I will give you the benefit of the doubt because of that. Just wait. You'll see.

GL this weekend--should be a good game to watch!

Neverlost- I don't think you need to worry about the O-line or Grossman... time will tell . From what I know they have reloaded vs rebuilding and all mentioned above will be just fine.. Mussman does a great job with these kids and I know that Greg Lotysz works with a few of these guys on his own time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bison -Yes we do play football in Alaska. As a matter of fact when Chris was a senior in High School we were ranked 10th in the western region by USA Today. The western region included schools like De La Salle, St Louis (Hawaii), Kahuku and a few other powerhouses. Chris was seriously recruited by a a few DI schools Oregon, Reno, Colorado and DI AA schools but Chris wanted to start by his sophomore year. UND did a great job , and they have honored every promise they made. The people in ND SD and Minnesota are a lot like Alaskans, the are very friendly and just wonderful people. It was very easy for Chris' mother and I to let him go because of the people we met on his recruiting visit. 2 national Championship games and hopefully 1 or 2 more just enforces the fact that we made the right choice