SiouxSports.com Forum

News Conference 2 p.m. Friday

PCM

HMMMMMMMMMMMM GUYS I WONDER WHAT THEY COULD POSSIBLY BE ANNOUNCING??? MAYBE THE ANONYMOUS SOURCE REPORT WAS CORRECT??? UH OH GOOD THING NOBODY PUT BETS ON IT WITH ME!!!!

Quit yelling, get off the computer and get back to delivering pizzas. :D

MAYBE THE ANONYMOUS SOURCE REPORT WAS CORRECT???

If the purpose of the news conference is to announce the hiring of Hakstol as head coach (which I suspect it will be), in no way does it prove that Thomas called Hakstol and offered him the job before he even applied for it.

All it proves is that UND went through the internal application process and that Thomas decided to hire Hakstol, the only internal candidate. It also proves that an anonymous leaker can make a mockery of the hiring process and create embarrassing problems for the university.

But, hey, why should anyone care as long as we can read about such groundbreaking events as the alleged selection of a new head hockey coach a several days before it actually happens? That's the important thing, right?

reporters dont look out for the well-being of universitys pcm. they report what they know. and yes, that is the important thing.

think about this..the Heraldo does the math...internal search + an obvious candidate = HAK'S DA MAN!!! Now - they can't say that with authority unless they can confirm it....Rog isn't biting so OH!!! WE FOUND AN ANONYMOUS SOURCE who confirms it...no one can question an "anonymous" source because we don't know who it is. FORTUNATELY (for them) it all plays out at many thought it would - and has - VOILA!!! THE HERALD'S CALL WAS RIGHT!!! HAKSTOL IS THE COACH!!! (see 30 point type headline in Fridays Herald - Guarenteed!) when REALLY they went out on a very short and obvious limb and it payed off. WAY TO GO HERALD!!!!! To quote Basil Fawlty: "You're masters of the BLEEDING OBVIOUS!"

Regardless of what many of you may think of Deekspizza, I agree with him/her. The anonymous source that I have heard was from a very close friend of Erin Hakstol (Dave's wife) who said last week that Dave Hakstol had been offered the job.

If anyone is interested, there is a good article from Jeff Kolpack in today's Fargo Forum about the hiring of Dave Hakstol and why UND should have opened up the search nationally.

Sorry, still no sale here. News should not be based on rumors. It should be based on verifiable facts. I've seen firsthand how the use of anonymous sources is abused by the media to create stories. Maybe you need to go through that experience before you're properly disgusted by it. The problem is, most of you have no idea what you're giving sanction to. You'll never convince me that using anonymous sources is a good idea, especially in cases such as this.

Here's Kolpack's column that skates referred to. The believe the site requires registration, so I'll just paste the text:

The University of North Dakota must be certain it is hiring the right man. Dave Hakstol is the only horse in a race for the top college hockey job in America.

It appears the Sioux assistant will be named the head coach, thus ending a search that extended from the administrative offices in Hyslop Sports Center all the way to the hockey offices at Engelstad Arena.

We will be left to ponder one question: Why not wait for the mandatory internal search period of five days to expire, and then see who's out there?

The UND hockey job is one of the most prestigious in the country in any sport. The man in charge gets to live in a shrine of an arena that has the best of everything. The pay – around $200,000 plus whatever else shows up in the office – is top notch. The town has hockey history and is knowledgeable about their team and their sport.

Why not see what other candidates have to offer? Interview them. Hear them out; their ideas and their philosophy and then stack it up among a list of finalists.

If Hakstol is good, and all reports point that way, then he will surface as the best coach available. But, in the meantime, bring on the competition.

Hakstol and assistant Brad Berry can man the store while the search is in place. Brian Lee and Chris VandeVelde, the two Moorhead High 2005 Sioux commitments, say a coaching change won't alter their plans. Recruits in general put more stock in the program in general than a coach in specific.

The assistants can recruit for the one month or so it would take to go through a national search process. UND's tradition, facilities and academic reputation would certainly keep kids interested until the school was certain it found the best candidate.

The NHL will probably not play this year. Maybe some proven, hot-name coach would say the heck with the pro game – I'm going back to college.

When NDSU was looking for a successor to Bob Babich as the head football coach, there was pressure on athletic director Gene Taylor to hire assistant coach Casey Bradley.

Former players backed Bradley. Influential boosters, no doubt, backed him. Casual fans backed him. And there was a lot to back; Bradley – like Hakstol – is a popular former player who went on to become a very good coach.

When it was discovered that Bradley and Craig Bohl were the two finalists, the gambling money was on Bradley.

Taylor didn't buckle. He hired Bohl, a coach who in retrospect had a better resume and better connections to hire Division I-quality assistant coaches.

We'll never know, it appears, who would have won out between Hakstol, Minnesota-Duluth head coach Scott Sandelin, Lincoln Stars head coach Steve Johnson or Warroad High (Minn.) head coach Carry Eades, or whoever showed up at the doorstep. This game was over before it started.

If Sandelin goes on to win a national championship or two and Hakstol doesn't, then school will be open at UND for second guessing.

By opening it up nationally, it would have eliminated that.

Readers can reach Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546 or jkolpack@forumcomm.com

The sun just rose in the west ... I finally agree with something Kolpack wrote. :D

This whole "process" has been a farce. Hakstol starts out with no room for error. If he f**ks up this program, he's gone in short order, and he can take RT and the in-laws with him. Hakstol may be annointed "head coach", but he has to prove he was the best person for the job, let alone that he can fill Blais' skates.

The sun just rose in the west ... I finally agree with something Kolpack wrote. :D

This whole "process" has been a farce. Hakstol starts out with no room for error. If he f**ks up this program, he's gone in short order, and he can take RT and the in-laws with him. Hakstol may be annointed "head coach", but he has to prove he was the best person for the job, let alone that he can fill Blais' skates.

I couldn't have said it better myself on both counts. :p

Little room for error, indeed. On the one hand, a nice position to start in with this very loaded team, but, if they fail along the way, Hak will take the heat.

I couldn't agree more and I believe there are a lot of fans/alumni who are feeling the same way about the situation.

I too never thought I would ever ever agree with Kolpack..but he nailed this nail right on the head!!!! if it does get messed up, kiss RT bye bye.....cuz this town will not stand by and watch a loser or medicore team on the ice...that there is no doubt...and what if the Herald source was someone very very credible...who was in some way tryin to force Hakstol to get hired...ever think of that???