SiouxSports.com Forum

Karl Goehring

Canuck

Just read that Columbus has picked up the option on Karl Goehring's contract. The Blais hiring certainly bodes well for Karl, but he's still battling a numbers game on a depth chart that includes Marc Denis, Arturs Irbe and Pascal Leclaire.

Pascal Leclaire seems to be improving, but Goehring is still the better goalie right now. I don't expect Karl to the starting goalie for the Blue Jackets, but it would be nice if when a Columbus goalie got injured, Kasrl got called up at least once.

I think Karl has a shot at being an NHL backup someday if he is given a chance, but Columbus is bent on forcing Leclaire to develop. I am glad that CMB picked up his option though. I don't think Irbe will be a factor for too long because he is at the end of his career...it's Denis and Leclaire that are more of a depth concern.

PS. I heard that Karl and his wife are expecting a little bundle of joy, congrats to you both!

I think Karl has a shot at being an NHL backup someday if he is given a chance, but Columbus is bent on forcing Leclaire to develop. I am glad that CMB picked up his option though. I don't think Irbe will be a factor for too long because he is at the end of his career...it's Denis and Leclaire that are more of a depth concern.

PS. I heard that Karl and his wife are expecting a little bundle of joy, congrats to you both!

Ok, playing devil's advocate here:

When a GM gets a goaltender for "free" like he got Karl, there is no rush to get him to the NHL for accountability sake. Pascal Leclaire was a FIRST ROUND draft pick by the Blue Jackets. That alone makes it very hard to justify pulling Karl up instead of Pascal. If Pascal is just set in the AHL to rot, the Columbus GM has to account for selecting Pascal with a pick that could have gone to choose someone else, someone who could have been up as a winger, or traded the pick lower to save money.

I'm not saying I don't want Karl to make it to the NHL. I'm saying why they are always bringing up the goaltender who hasn't necessarily been showing the better numbers.

Let's assume Leclaire sucks and Goehring is great. Karl gets called up and does wonderful in the NHL, will anyone care that Columbus made a bad pick on Leclaire? Hell no, because they made a great free agent signing in Karl. The whole have to play the draft pick excuse is stupid, because it really doesn't make that much sense. Then again many GM's in many sports are complete dopes, so it isn't a suprise.

I was out walking with my wife the other night when Karl and his wife walked by. Yep, they are expecting a child.

Talked to him last week...still the same old Karl. He's working hockey camps on the east side for Scanny...great guy and a real asset to GGF since he's living here in the offseason. Told me the east coast (syracuse) wasn't his cup o' tea lifestyle-wise and he's rather live here...always knew he was the sensible type!

If Karl was about 3 inches taller, he'd probably be at least backup on some NHL squad. He has very nice numbers, and has always been tough mentally. However, I think he'll linger in the AHL, especially in Columbus' system, for some time.

Head coach? No, use some of the extra $$$ not going to Blais and hire him as "Goalie Coach". :);)

If Karl was about 3 inches taller, he'd probably be at least backup on some NHL squad. He has very nice numbers, and has always been tough mentally. However, I think he'll linger in the AHL, especially in Columbus' system, for some time.

Head coach? No, use some of the extra $$$ not going to Blais and hire him as "Goalie Coach". :);)

They say former goalies make the best coaches. Not sure why considering most goalies are insane. ;)

Karl still has some time to make it into the NHL, he has already proven he can play in the AHL. After his career is done I think he would make an excellant coach. For a goalie he seems pretty normal, but then again I don't know him personally.

I think that goalies watch and see what everyone does and how the team works and what makes it succeed. The whole game is in front of em.

Karl is wonderful. We miss his mom and dad too!

You've got it! The reason why goalies make good coaches and commentators is that they see everything. They can watch plays develop in both ends. A goalie's job is to keep pucks out of the net and to do that they must always know what is going on, where plays are developing, different player's tendencies, who will shoot, who will pass and to whom...

I would love for KG to be a goalie coach here and eventually head coach, but I would like to see him continue to play for now. He still has time to make it into the NHL and if not the NHL he should easily become an AHL all-star...I know that the fans in Syracuse love Karl and would hate to lose him so soon.

Talked to him last week...still the same old Karl. He's working hockey camps on the east side for Scanny...great guy and a real asset to GGF since he's living here in the offseason. Told me the east coast (syracuse) wasn't his cup o' tea lifestyle-wise and he's rather live here...always knew he was the sensible type!

His wife is a GF alum.

• 1 month later...
If Karl was about 3 inches taller, he'd probably be at least backup on some NHL squad.  He has very nice numbers, and has always been tough mentally.  However, I think he'll linger in the AHL, especially in Columbus' system, for some time.

Head coach?  No, use some of the extra $$$ not going to Blais and hire him as "Goalie Coach".  :lol:  :p

When was the last time UND had a goalie coach??