SiouxSports.com Forum

The (Highly coveted) OETKB Rating System

OETKB

So Drew already made it? Cause from my knowledge he's still under a "try out"

Sioux fan,

You are more correct than I. It is just a "try out" and I suspect he would be considered a "walk on" if he makes it, right?

The other point is that ANY player I believe, can sign with a pro team at any time between now and August which keeps open the possibility of Jones leaving I guess.

shep

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Drew already made it? Cause from my knowledge he's still under a "try out"

As a "walk-on" you don't actually "make the team" until you try out and Blais says "you're in."

Technically I could show up on the first day of tryouts and try to make the team. Although the fact that I've never played organized ice hockey and don't even own a hockey stick might make it tough for me.

There are around 6 players "trying out" Jesse could be one of them but do the Sioux need another D? they just cut Beaverson. A try out doesnt mean you make the team. there are people who tryout every year. how many make it. The last i can think of is Pat O leary and he only got a year or two then he got cut.

The ND connection could have been a lot bigger this season. Brad Volrath was a very late cut this past year, I heard he got cut after pictures, but not sure. And Karl Sabin would have been on the team but he was academically unable to get into UND. Very unfortunate, as he is a very, very talented player, and a good guy.

And not just any one can tryout. Blais has to ask you or if you contact him he has to approve it.

I was told by Coach Hakstol that each year they put up signs in the rink the first weeks of September inviting players to try out for the "walk-on" spots...how does Blais approve those folks?

P.S. Not trying to call you a liar, or anything, just wanting clarification.

And Karl Sabin would have been on the team but he was academically unable to get into UND. Very unfortunate, as he is a very, very talented player, and a good guy.

So is he academically elgible this season?

O'Leary got a raw deal.

From what I know of the situation O'Leary was screwed. Then again Blais probably had the misfortune of meeting his father and cut him just for being related to such an a-hole. :sad:

There is not going to be room for any walkons unless some more players leave. I believe UND has "open" tryouts every year, but there are personal invitations for some to attend the tryouts. I doubt any player not "asked" to try out has ever made the team.

Sabin was cut by the Ice Sharks (or Chicago Steel) of the USHL, I think he ended up playing for Bismarck, not sure what happened to him since then, but I highly doubt he would have been "on the roster but for his academics", not many NAHL players play D1, even less for teams like the Sioux, unless they move up to the USHL.

That Volrath kid was in the team picture at the beginning of the season. I don't remember him from ND hockey, where is he from?

Sabin and Volrath both played for GFC. And I don't think Sabin ever played for the Ice Sharks/Steel. He went to Licoln after his junior year but didn't stay the whole year because he wouldn't have been able to graduate from H.S. down there. Then he went to Bismarck and was one of the big reasons they were able to win the championship there. He wasn't the average NAHL player (or AWHL as it was...). And hey... Bina's on the team, and he wasn't as big of a star in Bismarck as Karl.

Sabin and Volrath both played for GFC. And I don't think Sabin ever played for the Ice Sharks/Steel. He went to Licoln after his junior year but didn't stay the whole year because he wouldn't have been able to graduate from H.S. down there. Then he went to Bismarck and was one of the big reasons they were able to win the championship there. He wasn't the average NAHL player (or AWHL as it was...). And hey... Bina's on the team, and he wasn't as big of a star in Bismarck as Karl.

Bina also went on to Lincoln before coming to UND, where he was their top offensive d-man.

Sabin was drafted by the Sharks/Steel but did not make the team, not sure if he didn't want to go to Chicago or if they cut him. Where did Sabin play last year? Here is his all time Bismarck stats:

Karl Sabin 2001-2003 90 21 54 75 54.

75 points in 90 games is good, but not great. The only current D1 player that played a significant amount for Bismarck is Prpich's buddy Marco Peluso who had 63 points in 55 games - along with 269 pims :sad:

I'm not trying to get down on players like Sabin or Sando, but the reality is, they are not "top quality recruits" in fact they aren't even recruits. This doesn't mean they will never play for the Sioux but the odds are not in their favor. To say that Sabin "would have been on the team" may be your opinion, but I highly doubt it, not with NHL drafted players riding the pine most of the season.