SiouxSports.com Forum

The (Highly coveted) OETKB Rating System

OETKB

It is that time of year again, where this hockey fan postulates endlessly about how good the next version of the Fighting Sioux will be. Using a proprietary, arbitrary, non-scientific method, we can draw on some history to see the indications:

2001-2002

6 Upperclassmen & 11 Freshmen in the normal roster

Average Experience rating = 1.9

Returned 6 players with 20+ points

Lost 2 early departures to the pros from the previous season (Lundbohm, Roche)

Result:

16-19-2 season (No NCAA games)

Comments:

This team never stood a chance. Too much youth.

2002-2003

5 Upperclassmen & 4 Freshmen in the normal roster

Average Experience rating = 2.1

Returned 3 players with 20+ points

Lost 1 early departure to the pros from the previous season (Bayda)

Result:

26-12-5 season (1 NCAA game)

Comments:

A very entertaining season, cut short by the inexperience of a still-young team. I consider an experience rating of 2.3 or so to be integral to the playoffs. This team played hard, but lost their scoring touch at the end.

2003-2004

11 Upperclassmen & 6 Freshmen in the normal roster

Average Experience rating = 2.3

Returned 8 players with 20+ points

Lost 1 early departure to the pros from the previous season (Hale)

Result:

30-8-3 season (2 NCAA games)

Comments:

Fantastic season. Top seed in the NCAA tournament, but couldn't get anything past a hot Denver goalie that eventually did the same thing in the National Championship game. Some vindication there, but the Sioux were the best team in the nation to miss the Frozen Four, IMO.

2004-2005

11 Upperclassmen & 4 Freshmen in the (anticipated) normal roster

Average Experience rating = 2.8

Returning 9 players with 20+ points

Lost 1 early departure to the pros from the previous season (Parise)

Personnel:

The Sioux have a talented core of offense lead by Bochenski & Murray, with a 1st Round Draft choice (Zajac) coming in, as well as a two-time Slovakian World Jr Tournament player (Spirko).

On defense, UND's "stay-at-home" core returns 90 points of scoring lead by Jones & Fuher. Three of the 8 or 9 seniors that will likely play are blueliners. They will be aided by Radke, who was the AJHL MVD award winner this year.

Indications:

This looks to be the most exciting season UND has had since 2000. The experience factor is huge. Has a 2.8 rating happened before? Certainly not in recent memory. Anything short of the Frozen Four will be a shame, given the talent and (we hope) determination this team should have.

Prediction:

National Championship #8

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, it might be 01-02 again.

No way. Like I mentioned above, even if Greene & Stafford are assumed gone to the NHL, there will still be "only" 6 or 7 freshmen playing in '05-06. That is a much smaller number than in '01-02, where 9 to 11 freshmen were dressed for a given game.

Again, the experience ratios:

'01-02 = 1.9 (very low)

'05-06 = 2.2 (conservative projection. Could be higher)

I consider an increase of 0.2 or more to be significant. For instance, the '02-03 team only rated a 2.1, but they had a pretty good season.

Of course, the closer you get to 2.5 the better, as that indicates a balanced team. The fact that UND will rate a 2.8 this coming season is exciting. It will leave them lower the next year, but not to the extent some are fearing.

In any case, next season is going to be great. Go Sioux!

Another fact I wanted to mention, but forgot:

This coming season, UND will likely have a roster with SIX GRAND FORKS KIDS and 8 ND kids.

Schneider

Bina

Fuher

Lammy

Ziggy

Massen

Fylling

Moreland?

Fantastic.

Me too, it might be 01-02 again.

The other difference is Blais is getting top 5 recruiting classes every year. The class two years from now will have a lot more talent (Murray, Zajac ect...) than the classes from the past. The class next year (Duncan, Chorney, Lee...) is already looking like it could be one of the best.

Also, the Sioux had horrible goaltending in 01' with Kollar and a freshman Brandt. Lammy who is one of the top goalie recruits to come to this school will be a sophomore and should have the top spot all locked up.

Basicall, with this years class being so solid up and down and next years recruiting class that's already looking good, I wouldn't worry too much.

Lammy who is one of the top goalie recruits to come to this school will be a sophomore and should have the top spot all locked up.

I wouldn't count on it. Jordan Parise is going to have something to say about that.

Anyone who thinks Parise won't at least share time in net is sadly mistaken,maybe when Lammy is a Junior/Senior. Parise was one of the reasons UND went as far as they did this past season and Parise played good enough to get UND to the final game. Parise had 2 goals scored against him in three tourney games. Thats not horrible goaltending.

Yes, but little Parise is gone now so Blais doesn't have to worry about upsetting the family.

But he does have to worry about upsetting the Shattuck pipeline.

I agree with Goon. I think JP will challenge for the No. 1 goalie spot.

Yes, but little Parise is gone now so Blais doesn't have to worry about upsetting the family.

Your so full of crap, by saying that ignorant stuff. Jordan Parise was the best goalie UND had last season Bar none. If anyone is one their way out (I am not sure anyoen gets cut) it would probably be the Senior goalie.

goaltending situations are hard to predict. Knowing blais he is going to - at the very least - give all em a chance to compete for the job. If there is a clear winner then that one will get the time. If there isn't, then they will share time like last year. That's how it is - it is entirely dependent on how the goalies play. Its hard to ignore looking at the politics of the situation but in the end - as the old saying goes - "Scoreboard, kiddo." :sad:

I've talked to Blais personally and he is predicting big things this year and next year for the Sioux! I cannot wait! As great as Parise was, (I think he is one of the top five Sioux players of all-time) I think they will be better this coming year without him.

GO SIOUX!

goaltending situations are hard to predict.  Knowing blais he is going to - at the very least - give all em a chance to compete for the job.  If there is a clear winner then that one will get the time.  If there isn't, then they will share time like last year.  That's how it is - it is entirely dependent on how the goalies play.  Its hard to ignore looking at the politics of the situation but in the end - as the old saying goes - "Scoreboard, kiddo."    :sad:

Here is the premise that burns my ass. You get people that assume the only reason Jordon got to come to UND was because he was Zach's brother or the pipe line from Shattucks. Hog wash. Anyone that saw Jordon play this past year knows that is effort this past season speaks for himself. Jordon playing in the final games of the season, also is a big statement by Blaiser, I have more confidence in you than my upper classman goalie. Personally if I was Brandt I would be a little worried.

I also predict no-one goalie is going to get all of the starts, Blaiser like to split time and go with the hot hand. Ala, off of the top of my head I can think of Andy and Karl. Brandt and Sievebida, Jordoan and Brandt. Notice all played about the same number of games.

I've talked to Blais personally and he is predicting big things this year and next year for the Sioux! I cannot wait! As great as Parise was, (I think he is one of the top five Sioux players of all-time) I think they will be better this coming year without him.

GO SIOUX!

Just look at the Texas Rangers now that A-Rod is gone. Let's hope something similar happens to us.

Well, I don't know JP personally, but I respect him more if he said that. I think he is a good player - but I also know what little bro meant to this team :sad:

I think its important that hockey players - good ones and bad ones both - know how to stay humble despite playing the BEST FREEKING GAME IN THE WORLD!!

:lol:

Couple of things to consider or question.

If there is NO NHL lockout, can Greene or more likely Jones still go pro? Is there a deadline to sign with a pro team?

To correct the ND connection, I understand that Drew Sando is going to Walk-on this year.

I don't want to revisit my Brandt rant, but IMHO Parise was the best goalie last year regardless of his lineage or little bro playing here.

shep

If there is NO NHL lockout, can Greene or more likely Jones still go pro? Is there a deadline to sign with a pro team?

To correct the ND connection, I understand that Drew Sando is going to Walk-on this year.

I don't want to revisit my Brandt rant, but IMHO Parise was the best goalie last year regardless of his lineage or little bro playing here.

shep

It is my limited understanding that a player can sign with a team at any time. The only pro restrictions with player movement occur with trading and some of the clauses within free agency (restricted, etc.).

It would be very odd if a player signs with a pro team during the season, but up until the beginning of the season, I would think it is possible.

Of course, I could be wrong. Hopefully we can get a more definitive answer than mine.

shep

So Drew already made it? Cause from my knowledge he's still under a "try out"