SiouxSports.com Forum

How many Locals Kids are UND going to overlook

Fetch

in the next few years ?

Were any of the players that have done well the past few years (from ND) recruited by UND ? Or were they walk ons at the schools they went to ?

Seems we missed a few ?

I hope UND does all it can to get these (& keep a eye on) these kids

I know Juniors in H.S. that are getting looks already from some schools.

in the next few years ?

Were any of the players that have done well the past few years (from ND) recruited by UND ? Or were they walk ons at the schools they went to ?

Seems we missed a few ?

I hope UND does all it can to get these (& keep a eye on) these kids

I know Juniors in H.S. that are getting looks already from some schools.

The only "local" kid that the Sioux arguably missed was Grant Potulny. That set in motion a chain reaction in which his younger brother Ryan followed Grant to Minnesota. Danny Irmen, a friend of Ryan Potulny, followed him to Minnesota. I know Danny's dad Don, and he was upset that the Sioux did not recruit Danny. However, Danny was also a Gopher fan and said that he was going to go where his friend Ryan went. The bottom line is that you are not going to get all of the recruits from your own state. If that was the case, we would have never gotten Zach Parise and Brandon Bochenski, who were both recruited by the Gophers and are from the Twin Cities.

If you consider that the Sioux have 6 kids from ND, they have done pretty well. Additionally, would you honestly rather have Brady Murray and Drew Stafford or Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen? No offense to Ryan and Danny, who are great players, but I like Murray and Stafford better.

What players are you referring to? 

It happens.......How many MN players have the Gopher's "missed" that could have played there and instead played for UND?

Good gawd!

The old arguement 'ours are there, yours are here Sioux/Gopher discussion' is a complete farse. Minneapolis proper has about as many citizens as the state of ND.

Realize that Minnesota and Massachusetts put about two-thirds of the college ranks on skates. No kidding.

Per capita, North Dakota has done pretty well for itself putting out recruits and keeping them. I hope that always continues. It's fun to see people you know do well in a sport that you love. I have some good ones about Panzer and Blake.

So someone do the math and tell me I'm wrong when I say ND is fairly comparable to a lot of the big hockey states if you figure that ND still has only about a dozen or so teams, historically has had only about a half-dozen, less population, and teams have farther to travel, blah, blah, blah... I think we do pretty well, hell the ice rinks get pressure ridges in our state.

This actually touches on the issue of when the WCHA broke up cuz the four M's didn't like that ND, UD, and CC didn't have any players and asked Canadiens to play. Minnesota is the state of hockey, period. Be proud of that.

But, the Sioux rule! :D

As far as HS juniors getting "looks" from teams, doesn't UND have verbals from current HS juniors TJ Oshie (Warroad), Taylor Chorney (S-SM), and Brian Lee (Moorhead)?

Which few were "missed"?

I think If I am not mistaken they will be seniors in High School next season?

I thought I read that some where.

Additionally, would you honestly rather have Brady Murray and Drew Stafford or Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen? No offense to Ryan and Danny, who are great players, but I like Murray and Stafford better.

We will see how this plays out. In '05-'06 Murray/Stafford and Potulny/Irmen will likely be the best players on their respective teams.

Sorry I have been busy & distracted

How many Wcha (or other league players from ND has there been?) Seems like quite a few ?

& I know some of the Talent at Central Now are going to end up somewhere

I love our Canadians & Also Love to snatch one out of the backyard from the Goofers ... But it is special to see ND Boys make it & if they were making it in ND would be even better

The Morelands are an interesting problem. With older brother going to SCSU, I would think that Dahl has the inside track (incredible as that may seem). I am not sure if Blais will recruit Matt, but he does look good. It is hard to say whether or not Blais will make a run for him just because he's a home town boy. He usually goes for who will fit with the organization, its tradition, and the style of play Blais endorses. If anyone doesn't fit to that, they don't get recruited.

I have faith that whatever he decides will be the right decision, even if that means Matt becoming a star at Swoon State Community College.

We will see how this plays out. In '05-'06 Murray/Stafford and Potulny/Irmen will likely be the best players on their respective teams.

I agree that this needs to be played out, and all four players are very talented, but I would rather have Potulny/Irmen. I just double-checked and the Goph's are slated to have them for the next three years.

Kidding aside, while all four players will IMO be productive I think the chances of Murray/Stafford leaving early is greater then Potulny/Irmen.

The Morelands are an interesting problem. With older brother going to SCSU, I would think that Dahl has the inside track (incredible as that may seem). I am not sure if Blais will recruit Matt, but he does look good. It is hard to say whether or not Blais will make a run for him just because he's a home town boy. He usually goes for who will fit with the organization, its tradition, and the style of play Blais endorses. If anyone doesn't fit to that, they don't get recruited.

I have faith that whatever he decides will be the right decision, even if that means Matt becoming a star at Swoon State Community College.

Matt Moreland is talented, but he needs a year or two of junior hockey before you can make the determination whether he is good enough to play for the Sioux. Several people on this board last year about this time wanted the Sioux to go after Kasey Moreland, who just completed a perfect EDC and State tournament in which he gave up no goals. The verdict is still out on Kasey. He was 6-15-1 with a 3.54 GAA and .904 save % on a bad Sioux Falls team. Kasey may still turn out to be good enough, but have enough faith in Blais to make the correct decisions. It is great to have local kids, but not at all costs. Tyler Palmiscino is a good example of a kid who would have been better off going elsewhere.

The Morelands will not go to SCSU, Jake had a major problem with Dahl, to the point of almost quitting. Look for guys like Mcintyre, the Moreland's, Sando, Marto, and the Lamaroux's(?) to get a chance here. Matt M would be a great fit here cause of his size, Mcintyre has as much heart and desire as he does skill, Sando is just like Moreland, big and skilled, Marto may have more upside than any cause he may be the most skilled defensman ND has ever seen, and the Lamaroux's live hockey, the whole family, they are all exceptional players and I hope to see them in Sioux attire in the next few years!!