1. 1. Who will win this years cup

• Colorado
    • Detroit
    • San Jose
    • Tampa
    • Toronto
    • Philly
    • Other

One player doesn't make a team, Goon. Ribiero and maybe Kovalev has had moments, but there ARE quality players on Montreal (Theodore, Ryder, Bondra, Chara, etc.) just like there are good players on Boston (Raycroft, Samsonov, Bergeron, Thornton, etc.)

I not a fan of Carve a leg either, plays when he wants to, million dollar talent, but not too motivated. As for Ribiero, the guy has a big mouth and hopefully next year someone will shut it for him. Good players do their talking with their play on the ice. Hockey is starting to look like basketball with all of the smack talking on the ice.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed there's a segment of hockey fans out there who just don't like non-North American players period. You wouldn't happen to be part of that segment, would you? I figure since you've dissed Jagr now in addition to Kovalev... maybe you're just one of those fans who like players from the United States and Canada exclusively. My apologies if that assumption is inaccurate.

Don Cherry's posse basically.

Imagine what the NHL would be like without the likes of Forsberg, Federov, Lidstrom, Hasek, Sundin, Jagr, Gonchar, and others.

Yes, it worked in years past, but the NHL today is more physical. Therefore, take out Europeans and you basically got the CHL: Goon hockey with a few skilled scorers here and there.

Commie got even for the cheap elbow that Hatcher gave to Lombardi in period 1 last night. Didn't see the Commie hit myself, but from the Calgary web site:

A Red Wing gets a standing ovation at the Pengrowth Saddledome -- that would be Derian Hatcher who crumpled and exited following a hit from Flames d-man Mike Commodore. Earlier in the game he side-swiped Flames centreman Matthew Lombardi. Lombardi left the game in the first period but returned in good shape..... Miikka Kiprusoff was voted fan MVP with 64%, Martin Gelinas came in with 29%.

I stayed up and watched the finish. Hatcher was coming across the Flames blueline with his head down. Whistle blows the play offside about a half second before Commie finishes a check on Hatcher. Not a huge hit, but solid...puts Hatcher down to the ice immediately. The crowd roars and if I'm not mistaken, begins chanting 'Com-mo-dore, Com-mo-dore' for about 30 seconds! I think the winning goal came about 2 minutes later.

It was a great hit. Hatcher played physical all game long. Yes, I'll even say that he was playing cheap hockey. This game really reminded me of the Denver/UND NCAA game. Both goaltenders were playing out of their minds good hockey. Gelina was the recipient of a good pass (or was it a rebound off of Joseph?) and got it into the net. It wasn't a lucky goal, it was just being in the right place at the right time.

Commie had a great series and got props from the commentators.

A note on the refs: Kerry Frasier is one of the finest refs in hockey at any level. His partner, however, was a dumb@rse.

Kerry Fraser is easily the best referee in the NHL. The rest of them are not qualified to to officiate a no-checking, no slap-shot, beer league in western Walsh County.

This, however, should not surprise anyone when one considers the fact that we have morons such as Gary Bettman as commissioner and even less competent people such as Andy Van Hellemond and the worst of the worst, Leon Stickle, in charge of officiating.

I've noticed there's a segment of hockey fans out there who just don't like non-North American players period. You wouldn't happen to be part of that segment, would you? I figure since you've dissed Jagr now in addition to Kovalev... maybe you're just one of those fans who like players from the United States and Canada exclusively. My apologies if that assumption is inaccurate.

Apology accepted. I like plenty of non-North Americans. Lidstrom is my favorite defenseman in the whole league. Hasek was amazing. Khabibulin is who helped the Lightning turn the corner. Fedotenko is a personal favorite for his heart. I'd like Jagr if he had half of Feds' heart.

Don't be mislead by my appreciation of a physical game. I like watching skilled players too. Who wouldn't love Forsberg? Selanne and now Gaborik. Sturm, Hecht, Ekman, Frolov, Zetterberg and Timonen are all Euros I appreciate very much.

Who I dissed are two players who appear to put themselves before their team. Who disappear when they are needed most.

DaveK,

Check out a Rangers discussion board and see what their feelings are about Kovy's two stints over there. They consider him to be a selfish, gutless bum - a tradition he seems to have maintained in Habtown.

I stayed up and watched the finish. Hatcher was coming across the Flames blueline with his head down. Whistle blows the play offside about a half second before Commie finishes a check on Hatcher. Not a huge hit, but solid...puts Hatcher down to the ice immediately. The crowd roars and if I'm not mistaken, begins chanting 'Com-mo-dore, Com-mo-dore' for about 30 seconds! I think the winning goal came about 2 minutes later.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't you just say that the hit was after the whistle? If so, Commador should have gotten a penalty for Roughing or something. Eh, maybe its just that I'm looking at it thru Redwing glasses and I'm pissed that the wings didn't force the game seven back at the Joe.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't you just say that the hit was after the whistle? If so, Commador should have gotten a penalty for Roughing or something. Eh, maybe its just that I'm looking at it thru Redwing glasses and I'm pissed that the wings didn't force the game seven back at the Joe.

I stayed up and watched the finish...the whistle blew almost simultaneously with Commie's finish on the check. As the video shows, he got kinda wrapped up in the refs and falling bodies and added a little extra after the whistle...but if you watched the game, you know that they were blowing the whistles many extra times because it was so noisy in there the player on the ice couldn't hear them...a penalty under those circumstances would have been a huge injustice...You have to admit that the Commie check was fun to watch...

Apparently the incompetent referees in the NHL do not seem to care whether or not a hit, legal or otherwise, occurs after the whistle has been blown.

Case in point: Game 5 laffs/Flyers. Jeremy Roenick is cross checked in the back of the head by Nik Antropov. Antropov's stick even touches the face of a linesman. This occurred probably 15 seconds after the whistle had been blown. Antropov receives a minor penalty even though it is beyond dispute that he intended to injure another player.

No major penalty. No misconduct. No suspension. No do you realize why some players take matters into their own hands when the League fails?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't you just say that the hit was after the whistle?  If so, Commador should have gotten a penalty for Roughing or something.  Eh, maybe its just that I'm looking at it thru Redwing glasses and I'm pissed that the wings didn't force the game seven back at the Joe.

If so, it almost makes up for the fact that Hatcher nearly took the Flames player's head off in the first period with an elbow.

No major penalty.  No misconduct.  No suspension.  No do you realize why some players take matters into their own hands when the League fails?

Officiating in the NHL is a farce. Bertuzzi's suspension means almost nothing now that Antropov has been allowed to swing his stick with impunity. The league needs to consistently hand down suspensions for using the stick with intent to injure whether it is the regular season or the playoffs. How does Ekman get a suspension and Antropov does not?

Damn good question, Ruffian. Antropov is a whiny P.O.S. who deserves to be throttled. If I remember correctly he hit J.R. TWICE, not just once while the dumb assss linseman had J.R. tied up.

All because the big p*u*s*s could not take a hit.

Well the only good thing about the Redwings be out of the playoffs is that Lighting now have home ice advantage throughout the playoffs. Second, Ruffian to answer you questions thery are fairly simple. First you're about 30-45 mintue drive from where I live on I-4. I live in Thonotosassa for which is just before you get to Plant City from Tampa. Third, I did go to a couple of Lighting games this year for the first time. The reasons were simple. First my mother who just passed away a couple of months ago for whom I was taking care of had alizheimer's for a long time. Not only that I have finally gotton to move around after having a stroke. I hope that answer your questions. Now as for this series between philly vs leafts I'm hopping for philly, but in this game anything can happen. In closing all I would like to say is just for fun course, GO LIGHTING.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

Commodore had a sweet breakaway pass to igilna

And Iginla almost scored to put the Flames up in the game.

Great to see the Dead Things out of the playoffs. Good for Calgary.

Dave, did you watch the Flyers/Leafs tonight? Did you see the Tucker hit on Kapanen in OT? Kapanen did what gutsy hcokey players do. He made the winning goal possible by not making the play stop.

Doesn't matter that he's a Euro or not. I saw Ron Francis do it a few years ago after a hit by Scott Stevens. Darryl Sydor crawled off the ice after a high ankle sprain. It's the playoffs. Guys like Kovalev and Ribiero don't belong on the same ice as those I named.

Attention Colorado Avalanche, you're needed on the first tee. You will be following the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.

Conference Finals time....

Bolts in 5...The Toronto series wore Philly down. Their only hope is to take it 7 games in a physical series.

Flames in 7...gutsy team, Mikka Kiprusoff is the hottest goaltender in the playoffs aside from Nikoli Khabibulin.

This round...Go Flames, Go Lightning

I don't see that the series wore the Flyers down. In fact I think they are building towards greater things, just as they should be. I also see a close team that draws inspiration from each other. The Lightning are the same and it should be a very close series. I love both teams and whoever loses it will break my heart.

Conference Finals time....

Bolts in 5...The Toronto series wore Philly down. Their only hope is to take it 7 games in a physical series.

Flames in 7...gutsy team, Mikka Kiprusoff is the hottest goaltender in the playoffs aside from Nikoli Khabibulin.

This round...Go Flames, Go Lightning

go flames, go flyers!

Worn down? Whatever. Actually I'd put the Saturday games favor towards philly coming off a three day rest after a great series rather than tampa sitting on their hands for eight days after a blow out easy four.

Tampa's only hope is Obie Wan

Sharks beat a better team that didn't show up to play. Flames beat a better team that couldn't focus. I wonder which will be better in the long run. Although I would say the flames have had a harder schedule so far

go commodore!

What's great is that the money teams are all out and hopefully this will sink in to some of the gm/coach/owner mentality Buying teams really doesn't work right now and won't for the next five years or so.

Btw, if you're looking for the OFFICIAL END OF PRO HOCKEY IN AMERICA look out for that matchup between traditional hockey rivals, the San Jose Sharks and the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I've never been to Florida, but do they watch a lot of hockey there in June? How about that San Jose area? I know it's "hotbed" but for hockey?

Will a Final with these teams get TV ratings above the Little League World Series or will ABC just pull out the old Arm Wrestling Championship from Pomona in 1972?

Look out.

shep