1. 1. Who will win this years cup

• Colorado
    • Detroit
    • San Jose
    • Tampa
    • Toronto
    • Philly
    • Other

This year it looks like the very, very experienced Red Wings will win the cup. Especially with Cujo back in the line up. The bigger issue is that this years champion will get to hold the cup for two years due to the strike in the near future. So the Wings will have it until the Coyotes (America's Team) claims it in 2005-6, or at least i'll keep telling myself that.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but Cujo deserves a cup more than anyone.

I will be cheering on the Flames (This year's Wild and Commodore) and the Leafs ("Steady Eddie" Belfour)!

I'm not a big fan of buying the cup (See Dallas, Colorado, Detroit, etc.), hopefully the new CBA will fix that, but if not I will continue to cheer for the underdog...and former UND alum.

Tough loss for Eddie tonight (44 saves on 46 shots)..too bad Lalime played well too (27 saves on 28 shots).

The Red Wings are overrated they will get knocked out by the Avs

:D *applause*

As for buying a team.... Kariya and Selanne both took pay cuts to come to the Avs. The Avs didn't bait them with huge salaries.

And that's the way it's done in the NHL nowadays, it may suck, but that's still the way it is. If you want to compete, you have to shell out the $$$.

Elizabeth

;) *applause*

As for buying a team.... Kariya and Selanne both took pay cuts to come to the Avs. The Avs didn't bait them with huge salaries.

And that's the way it's done in the NHL nowadays, it may suck, but that's still the way it is. If you want to compete, you have to shell out the $$$.

Elizabeth

As much as you frown on buying teams, I'd be very leary of saying that Detroit is buying the Stanley Cup. If that was the case, then Federov, Selanne, and Kariya would be a Red Wing. Here's why: Steinbrenner, has a tendency to buy World Series appearances (if not wins) buy simply buying everyone who may be of value on the market. Why? Because he can. Look at Rondell White/David Justice/ Jose Canseco a few years back. Did he need all three? No, but if he hadn't acted, a team like the Mariners, Red Sox (god forbid :D ), or the A's would have and you can't take a chance on competition.

That's why I dislike the Yankees so much. They buy players, not for need, but because they can. Same thing with the Rangers. And you're right. Sather needs to be fired as GM. It's ok if he assumes the role of Ranger's President or CEO, but GM duties and coaching duties should stay out of his hands. His coaching style and player types do not make a real competitive team day in and day out.

The Red Wings are neither the Yankees or the Rangers because they are picky. They choose players to pursue and have backup plans in case they fall through. When Federov went to the Ducks, they got Whitney, Hatcher, and eventually got Lang. Hatcher and Whitney are, the Red Wings feel, what it's going to take to fill Federov's skates. Lang gives them a power forward, something they've been desperate for for a long time now. They do not get because they can.

There is a difference.

The match ups for the conference semifinals are Sharks vs Avs , Wings vs Flames, Lightning vs Canadiens, Flyers vs Leafs who does everyone else have winning thes matchups?

Avs

Wings

Lightning

Flyers

--Elizabeth

I must be giving too much respect to the Avs. Why does everyone think the Sharks are going to win? I know the Avs have been unreliable all year, but who is scoring points for the Sharks? I also need to know that for my hockey pool. ;)

I really believe that Aebisher is the Giguere of the playoffs. I'm not saying he's going to be a flop in subsequent years, but he's stunk (relatively) as a backup under Roy (meaning that the Avs were beatable with him in net, whereas it was much more difficult to beat the Roy goaled Avs). The Avs are top heavy in scorers but fairly weak in defense (I can't name another Dman other than Blake). That means Aebisher is going to see more shots against better teams that are built on agility and speed, like the Sharks.

I feel the Sharks are going to win because they bring that speed and agility with a physical presence as well. They are good in the corners and their defense is gelling very well. Nabakov is underrated as a goaltender (except to the Sharks organization otherwise they wouldn't have traded away Kiprusoff). The Sharks don't have the dynamic finishers like Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk (sp?), Kariya, or Selanne, but they do have a very cohesive and role-oriented team, which can be dangerous as well (see last year's Anaheim and 1995's NJ Devils).

I really believe that Aebisher is the Giguere of the playoffs.

Not even close...The sole reason Anaheim made it as far as they did was Giguere. Colorado could have made it this far with Andy Kollar backstopping them...Dallas produced less offense than a World Cup soccer game. These are two pretty offensive teams. I'll give the offensive edge to Colorado, but defense goes to SJ as does goaltending, as Abesucksfersure is no where near the goaltender Nabokov is.

and speaking of flopping..............

1_floppa.jpg

:sad: