• Tampa
    • Toronto
    • Philly
    • Other

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those 8.00 seats are worth the camp out. How many do they sell for that price.

They have 200 $8 seats for each game and have been doing it for at least two seasons. I think it's great they didn't change the policy for the playoffs.

I heard this afternoon Commodore is out tonight. Lydman is in.

I don't have a link but I was told it came from a Dallas paper.

Lydman skating with team

Calgary defenceman Toni Lydman, out with a concussion since early in the Vancouver series, is with the team in Tampa Bay and practising. However, he is not expected to play in Game 5.

Calgary GM/coach Darryl Sutter said Lydman is going through a "protocol" and is tested every day.

"He's still in the protocol for days, so to answer truthfully, he has to get through today again," said Sutter when asked if Lydman would play.

Calgary Flames

Press coverage of Mike Commodore seems to be all the rage in Canada. In addition to the cover of Hockey News (Canada edition) and Don Cherry sporting a carrot-top wig on Hockey Night, here's two recent articles:

Today's Toronto Star

Flaming mop top tale grows - Homage to Commodore Cult-like

and the Calgary Sun from late last month

LIKE MIKE - Defenceman becomes most unlikely celebrity

which included this quote:

His dad has actually seen this before.

"Something a little like this happened to him when he went to the University of North Dakota,'' said Wayne.

"I think it has a lot to do with the way he plays and the way he is with people. He kinda roughhouses around on the ice and he has such an affable personality.

"He'll talk to anybody. At heart, he's a good guy and I think everybody picks up on that.

"The best part is a year and a half ago Anaheim coach Mike Babcock told him he shouldn't have been drafted and that he would never play in the NHL -- that he didn't have any skills.

"He's worked hard. He deserves a bit of attention.''

Man, people have always hyped HDTV as hockey's savior and I've never been particularly convinced. In the past, I've gone out of my way to catch a few of the HDNet games, and still couldn't bring myself to watch a full NHL game if I didn't particularly care about the teams (contrasted with NFL, in which I watch every game I can). In fact, I'm definitely of the opinion that the Sunday afternoon football games on CBS pretty much tie CSI as being the most impressive difference between 480i and HDTV.

However, tonight is the first time I've seen a hockey game in HD on ABC -- at least on my setup, it is so much better than the HDNet games it's unbelievable (I think it's a wash that HDNet, like CBS, is 1080i, whereas ABC is 720p; rather, I suspect it's more about the production/transmission facilities).

Don't get me wrong, I still think the uninitiated won't be interested in watching hockey on tv regardless of resolution, but that's a discussion for a different thread :sad: (Go Southeast Division, representing the East in the finals with 3 different teams in the last 7 years, though still looking for a Cup!)

Man, people have always hyped HDTV as hockey's savior and I've never been particularly convinced. In the past, I've gone out of my way to catch a few of the HDNet games, and still couldn't bring myself to watch a full NHL game if I didn't particularly care about the teams (contrasted with NFL, in which I watch every game I can). In fact, I'm definitely of the opinion that the Sunday afternoon football games on CBS pretty much tie CSI as being the most impressive difference between 480i and HDTV.

However, tonight is the first time I've seen a hockey game in HD on ABC -- at least on my setup, it is so much better than the HDNet games it's unbelievable (I think it's a wash that HDNet, like CBS, is 1080i, whereas ABC is 720p; rather, I suspect it's more about the production/transmission facilities).

Don't get me wrong, I still think the uninitiated won't be interested in watching hockey on tv regardless of resolution, but that's a discussion for a different thread :sad: (Go Southeast Division, representing the East in the finals with 3 different teams in the last 7 years, though still looking for a Cup!)

I saw a game in HD a couple weeks ago and thought it was unbelieveable. It really helps the average fan to be able to watch a game of hockey on tv.

Freakin' A, St. Louis sneaks one by Kipper to end it, not even a minute into second OT. The way the Lightning was skating, Calgery should have had it cause they was looking dead. I was half looking for St. Louis to pass out there on his post-game interview with CBC. Also, anybody notice that St. Louis looks a lot like the goalie from Slapshot??

Hey bigmrg74 to answer your question on Marty the answer is yes I should at least know comming for the Tampa Bay Area. Second last night's game overall if anybody there in Calgery said they didn't get there money's worth from watch game six then they have something wrong with them. Well, i'm off to camp out for those $8.00 tickets again & I hope to see everybody there Monday night. Win or Lose the Lighting gave it one hell of a ride.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

Tough loss for Commie. I feel really bad for him. He played so hard and tried so hard.

I had real mixed emotions about this series. I wanted Tampa to win because that would give them their first Stanley Cup and take them out of the doghouse. I wanted Calgary to win because I'd love to see the Stanley Cup up close and to see Commie sporting some new jewelry.

I feel bad for Calgary.

First redwing77 I agree with on your post. Second, Lord Stanley's Cup will be spending a lot of time at the beach getting a tan. Third I also had mixed emotions I went with the LIGHTING & also I wanted Mike to Win the cup so he could take the cup to Grand Forks.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

Lydman with a bad pinch.

Let's face it folks:  Tampa Bay showed up.  Calgary's D (excluding Miikka) did not.

It's a real sad thing for Commie.

Sutter should have left Commandore in. The kid played his heart out, and did nothing to warrent not dressing other than the other guy got healthy enough to play. I think Sutter outthunk himself with that move. I was pulling for Calgary, because the Cup should stay north of the 40 parallel, but its was nice to see that old dinosaur Dave Anderchuk(sp?) get to hoist the cup and be a kid once more. Not a bad move on the part of his wife there. :lol: Hope they use a lot of sun block for Stanley, He's not used to all that sun. :sad:

Still, TB did earn the cup, and it was a pretty good game, especially in those last 10 minutes. Just sucks that the flames took that penalty late but St. Louis did get wacked pretty good, they had to call it.