SiouxSports.com Forum

Exciting finish

Fetch

Know whats cool? The WCHA's fourth best team wins the title by beating yet another "Eastern Powerhouse" college hockey team. HAHA.

Good job DU. Unbelievable.

Did I not go into the game rooting for Maine? Rooted for Notre Dame, they lost. Rooted for Miami, they lost. Rooted for UND, they lost, rooted for UMD, they lost. Rooted for UW, they lost, Michigan and Harvard, both lost. BC, lost. I rooted for Maine...... LOST!

Next year I promise to root against UND so that they'll win the NC.

And from now on, "Eastern Powerhouse" will only be a label ESPN puts on the HEA flavor of the month. Reality and ratings are two different things in this case.

:sad:

Did anyone hear Barry Melrose on NHL Tonite? He mentioned something to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing) 'nice to see a western team win it now and then.' Take a look at the past ten years, Barry...sheesh:

2004 Denver, 2003 Minnesota, 2002 Minnesota

2001 Boston College

2000 North Dakota

1999 Maine

1998 Michigan, 1997 North Dakota, 1996 Michigan

1995 Boston University

1994 Lake Superior State

By my count, I have 8 "western" schools and 2 eastern schools. And if you want to be REALLY picky and say that the WCHA consists of western schools and everyone else is eastern, it's still 5-5! Nice work, WCHA!

The last five minutes of "exciting" play, based on a couple of dumbass penalties, don't mitigate the fact that this was probably the most boring Title game I can recall. I remember when Maine was known for a pretty wide-open style of play, much like UND, Minnie, UNH or Mich. If Whitehead is adopting the "sit on your heels for three periods" style, I feel for the Maine faithful. Denver has always been a defensive squad under Gwoz. I think the strategy is to bore the opposition into doing something dumb, or put them to sleep. That said, congrats to Denver. *Yawn*

Rumor has it there was a big college hockey game going on tonight. Didn't see it. Was busy watching NHL minor league hockey on ESPN from 6 to 9.

If you were fortunate enough to be at (or watch) the Sioux-Gopher final at the X during the Final Five you had to shake your head at what you saw tonight.

Yuck. I want to s&!t on my TV. Trapping like that in college hockey.

I can't wait for the WCHA to resume operations.

I remember when Maine was known for a pretty wide-open style of play, much like UND, Minnie, UNH or Mich. If Whitehead is adopting the "sit on your heels for three periods" style, I feel for the Maine faithful.

I remember it, too :0

Fact is, you need the players to pull that off, and most of 'em are out west right now.

I don't blame Whitehead for that. What he did to get this cast of characters (admittedly led by a star goaltender) to within 1 point of the HE RS crown, HE tournament title, and to the NC game is pretty amazing.

Maine has a pair of real scorers coming in, and the sky's the limit for the rookie Leveille (led nation in assists with THAT offense ??? ). Hopefully something like back to the future is in the works.

Maine's PP killed them, just as BC's did Thursday.

Anyway, Congrats to Denver for out-Maine-ing Maine :sad:???

Maine has a pair of real scorers coming in, and the sky's the limit for the rookie Leveille (led nation in assists with THAT offense :0 ). Hopefully something like back to the future is in the works.

They also have a kid named Matt Lundin coming in. He's not a scoring threat...in fact his job is to do the exact opposite. He's a goalie from Apple Valley, MN...last goalie out of AVHS (Apple Valley High School) was pretty good! :sad:

They also have a kid named Matt Lundin coming in. He's not a scoring threat...in fact his job is to do the exact opposite. He's a goalie from Apple Valley, MN...last goalie out of AVHS (Apple Valley High School) was pretty good! 

God bless Minnesota High School Hockey :sad:

As much as I detest ANY team from ANY sport that hails from Colorado, I was really pulling for the Pioneers.

The 6 on 3 really showed the coaches confidence in his teams scoring ability. :sad:

Way to kill it off DU. Them Denver boys in the sin bin at the end were sure feeling the shame, weren't they?

These last few weeks just goes to show you what can happen when a team peaks at the right time.

Melrose....Get a life!

Cut Melrose some slack. He made the comment on NHL 2Night not Frozen Four 2night. If the average fan saw a list of NCAA champions they would most likely not consider schools like Michigan or even Minnesota as "Western" Realistically, only the Colorado and Alaska schools are located in what is commonly referred to as "the West", so I don't think Melrose's comment is that crazy. At least he mentioned the game.

:sad:

Did anyone hear Barry Melrose on NHL Tonite? He mentioned something to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing) 'nice to see a western team win it now and then.' Take a look at the past ten years, Barry...sheesh:

2004 Denver, 2003 Minnesota, 2002 Minnesota

2001 Boston College

2000 North Dakota

1999 Maine

1998 Michigan, 1997 North Dakota, 1996 Michigan

1995 Boston University

1994 Lake Superior State

By my count, I have 8 "western" schools and 2 eastern schools. And if you want to be REALLY picky and say that the WCHA consists of western schools and everyone else is eastern, it's still 5-5! Nice work, WCHA!

Not to be nitpicky or anything, as your point is a good one and well made, but I count 3 Eastern schools...Boston, Boston College, and Maine. So in the last 11 years it's been 8-3 in favor of the West. We Rule!!!!

Let's keep the Hobey and the NC west of the Missisip for another year...

Cut Melrose some slack. He made the comment on NHL 2Night not Frozen Four 2night. If the average fan saw a list of NCAA champions they would most likely not consider schools like Michigan or even Minnesota as "Western" Realistically, only the Colorado and Alaska schools are located in what is commonly referred to as "the West", so I don't think Melrose's comment is that crazy. At least he mentioned the game.

ok givem back nine NC's for Michigan but last time I checked, the Lousiana Purchase included everything West of the Mississippi.

Melrose thinks D1 uses the blue puck. I don't fault him, cuz on nhl he and pang are great. But like the sleeper commentators of all of the FF games, ESPN doesn't have a clue when it comes to D1. That's why there's no coverage, plus no money in it.

What is really sad is that the NHL is looking for more fans all of the time and they have shown reverse marketing when it comes to this. The fans of the pumpkin beaters of the NBA start by following college then graduate.

Probably like you I just have a problem when the sport and the level I love aren't cherished by the masses. Relish what we have. D1 men's hockey isn't having a lockout so for sure only 170 more days until we start seeing games again.

OH, by the way since when are college hockey fans average, ha.

Good job Denver, for sure good job to Adam B.

The best part of the game was that those two late penalties wiped the stupid smirk off of GWOZ's face (like the one he had on after their late goal against us, classy)