SiouxSports.com Forum

Parise Practices...Will he play?

Walleye King

4/2/04

From a friend of mine in Jersey...

talked to zach for an hour tonight.. he says he won't be playing this weekend, but is hoping for playoffs!!! says he's thrilled to be in NJ, but the whole thing happened 'like a whirlwind'. he's living in a hotel for the moment, doesn't know his number yet even, although he's hoping for 17. I can't wait to see him out on the ice for us!!!! just a quick update!

It is going to be very dissapointing if he does not play. Also, would it not be a good idea to give him some in game experience before the playoffs start?

It'll be weird if he doesn't play a single game, but then plays for the playoffs. One last chance and that's tomorrow.

It'll be weird if he doesn't play a single game, but then plays for the playoffs. One last chance and that's tomorrow.

If Parise doesn't play during the regular season, what are the chances that he'll play during the playoffs? I'm thinking it will only happen if someone gets injured or the Devils are having trouble generating offense.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me that they would sign him the day after his NCAA season ends, only to have him sit out for the rest of the season. Parise is not exactly a checker, and they have two good centers on their top lines right now, I wonder, if he makes it into the lineup, where he will fit in.

If he doesn't play this season and there is no NHL next season, I'm sure he'll regret his choice. I think he was looking ahead to next season more than playing immediately. In my opinion he showed some class signing right away rather than leaving in August. The Devils are one of the few NHL teams that give college players a good shot at playing, they will not screw him over. When will the NHL get it, they are trying to figure out ways to increase scoring by changing the rules and equipment. Maybe they should give players like Panzer some playing time, instead of these goons that spend the entire game trying not to get scored on.

Maybe this St. Louis will get their attention.

Parise had an interview on the pregame show. I missed most of it and am hoping they replay it later. They talked a bit about his brother and how he played this year. Interesting that Parise called Brandt the #2 goaltender. The interviewer also asked if Hale gave Parise any advice and Parise said they went out to eat one night, but talked more about North Dakota than the NHL.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me that they would sign him the day after his NCAA season ends, only to have him sit out for the rest of the season.

The day Parise left, Blais pointed out that scouts sign prospects, not coaches. If the coach doesn't want Parise to play, he won't. Burns was quoted as saying that he didn't want to mess with the team's chemistry at this point of the season. That doesn't bode well for Parise's playing chances this season.

The day Parise left, Blais pointed out that scouts sign prospects, not coaches. If the coach doesn't want Parise to play, he won't. Burns was quoted as saying that he didn't want to mess with the team's chemistry at this point of the season. That doesn't bode well for Parise's playing chances this season.

You'd think that there'd be some talking with the coach. Why spend all that money to sign a guy that might not play? They could've just waited until after the new CBA in hopes of paying less for Parise.

IN watching today game between the Devils and the Bruins, I was wondering who Zach would replace if he was to be inserted in the Devils line up. I suppose barring injury we might not see Zach. If the Devils play the Bruins I am hoping the Bruins are just able to beat the Devils with or without Zach in the line up.

Only time will tell I guess.

IN watching today game between the Devils and the Bruins, I was wondering who Zach would replace if he was to be inserted in the Devils line up. I suppose barring injury we might not see Zach. If the Devils play the Bruins I am hoping the Bruins are just able to beat the Devils with or without Zach in the line up.

Only time will tell I guess.

In my selfish little world of Sioux hockey, it's going to piss me off if the Devils signed Zach and don't play him.

However, a player of his skill level is one hell of an insurance policy for them as they enter the playoffs.

If he doesn't play this season and there is no NHL next season, I'm sure he'll regret his choice.

And laugh all the way to the bank!! Deep in his heart he might have a few pangs about leaving but I'm sure checking his account balance while kicking back in Faribault next season might make him feel better...especially when the new rookies don't get squat after the lockout...FACE IT...Zach made the right choice for himself and who of us wouldn't have done exactly the same thing under the same circumstances. A great college career and a national championship would be a fantastic memory - but it doesn't pay the bills.

Martin St. Louis is a sort of eye opener for more than one reason.

1. Martin proves that the college player can be a superior force on the ice in a capacity greater than that of a roleplayer.

2. That size doesn't matter: Ability does. That means players like Panzer may indeed get their chance.

Martin's performance may have helped keep Panzer in the league. It probably didn't hurt Murphy too.

I guess I am inspired by Martin. Let's hope that he keeps going down the path and not end up like Fleury.

Just a thought here...if, and it looks likely, that Parise does not play this year, then he would still have a chance to play pro hockey next year (if there is no season), wouldn't he? Being in San Antonio where we have an AHL team (by the way, Goren and Olson are on fire as of late), wouldn't Parise be able to play in the AHL with Albany? I would think so. And with a lockout, I would think the AHL would be a great place for Parise to play. IFF he can't play in the AHL, someone let me know, but for the dough he's getting and the chance to play in the AHL, I think he made a good decision...I certainly don't think I would have passed it up.

There is zero chance Parise plays in this year's playoffs. He did not play in any of the three regular season games left on the schedule. You have the defending champs. Burns already has his lines set. Big series with a division rival. NJD has a ton of centers, although only Gomez can be considered a serious playmaker the others are mainly grinders and checkers.

I do not doubt that Parise has more talent than Brylin, Larionov, Rasmussen, Kozlov, et al, but these guys have been playing all season. I seriously doubt that a team such as NJD would take a chance on a new guy who has never played in the NHL, does not know the system, does not know his teammates and has not yet had the opportunity to develop chemistry with linemates.

Whether or not it could work out is a different question from whether or not Burns will take the chance to see if it will work out. I don't see him doing it.

Yeah, Parise could play for the Albany River Rats next year. That's why NJD gave him a two-way contract. He'll make $80k playing in Albany where he'd make (report claim) $1 MM at NJ.

According to the Red Star and Sickle, Zach Parise recieved a 975,000.00 dollar signing bonus. That should make it easier for Zach to make ends meet if makes $80,000.00 if he has to play in Albany next season.

2. That size doesn't matter: Ability does. That means players like Panzer may indeed get their chance.

Martin's performance may have helped keep Panzer in the league. It probably didn't hurt Murphy too.

I guess I am inspired by Martin. Let's hope that he keeps going down the path and not end up like Fleury.

Lack of size can play only if it's made up by OUTSTANDING ability. I remember Panzer as a great play maker in college, but lacking a little bit in flat out speed...similar to Larry Olimb of Gophers or Brian Bonin etc. Then you have guys like Lee Goren, who does have size and can score, but lacks some of the skating skills. Sometimes you just don't know how they'll do until they actually get there and play. Many believed Paul Martin would have a tough time catching on right away, but if you look at his minutes game by game it's just mind boggling for a "college senior."

Lack of size can play only if it's made up by OUTSTANDING ability. I remember Panzer as a great play maker in college, but lacking a little bit in flat out speed...similar to Larry Olimb of Gophers or Brian Bonin etc. Then you have guys like Lee Goren, who does have size and can score, but lacks some of the skating skills. Sometimes you just don't know how they'll do until they actually get there and play. Many believed Paul Martin would have a tough time catching on right away, but if you look at his minutes game by game it's just mind boggling for a "college senior."

Uh, I never thought P Martin would have trouble in the NHL. I think (and boy am I going to be flamed maybe for this) he is far and a way better than Ballard.

I won't flame you. Martin is definitely a more complete defenseman...but remember Ballard was a winger growing up. He may be a very good power play defenseman in the NHL...who knows, maybe he could play forward again? Ballard's out-of-the-zone passing is fantastic. He can skate. His shot ain't bad either...this is akin to a kid who can throw a 90-mile-an-hour fastball...draft the arm, develop the player! :D