Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
F'n Hawks

Struggles recruiting certain positions

Recommended Posts

Linebacker in 2014 recruiting: 

Dylan Harmston

Daquan Baker(started at New Mexico then eventually transferred back)

Tajhe Hartley

Hudson Walton

Dylan Bakker

Marcus Jenkins Moore

2015 

Mason Bennet(originally recruited as OLB)

Donnel Rodgers

Jade Lawrence 

Tanner Palmborg

Keelan Poole(we know what happened to him)

Andre Steiger

Sawyer Knick

Brock Schaide

2016

Jake Geier

Cam Hunt

Dijon Murray(big miss, thought he would be good)

Jaxson Turner 

Ray Haas

Matt Marler

Jake Rastas

2017

Noah Larson

Leif Bungum

Brysen Swenson 

Hayden Reynolds 

 

This list include both OLB and ILB, and signees that may have never ended up at UND. ILB has been the area of concern lately, as well as the O-line 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

43 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Linebacker in 2014 recruiting: 

Dylan Harmston

Daquan Baker(started at New Mexico then eventually transferred back)

Tajhe Hartley

Hudson Walton

Dylan Bakker

Marcus Jenkins Moore

2015 

Mason Bennet(originally recruited as OLB)

Donnel Rodgers

Jade Lawrence 

Tanner Palmborg

Keelan Poole(we know what happened to him)

Andre Steiger

Sawyer Knick

Brock Schaide

2016

Jake Geier

Cam Hunt

Dijon Murray(big miss, thought he would be good)

Jaxson Turner 

Ray Haas

Matt Marler

Jake Rastas

2017

Noah Larson

Leif Bungum

Brysen Swenson 

Hayden Reynolds 

 

This list include both OLB and ILB, and signees that may have never ended up at UND. ILB has been the area of concern lately, as well as the O-line 

2014 was the killer recruiting class for ILB and OLB, all would have been RJr or Sr this season.    They were all busts. 2015 & 2016 look good so far.  What happened with Geier & Steiger this season?  They seemed to disappear off the radar with Murray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

 

2014 was the killer recruiting class for ILB and OLB, all would have been RJr or Sr this season.    They were all busts. 2015 & 2016 look good so far.  What happened with Geier & Steiger this season?  They seemed to disappear off the radar with Murray.

Both in the coaches’ dog house ALOT  for lack of effort and general don’t-give-a-rip attitude on the practice field. Big misses, especially the former, IMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

 

2014 was the killer recruiting class for ILB and OLB, all would have been RJr or Sr this season.    They were all busts. 2015 & 2016 look good so far.  What happened with Geier & Steiger this season?  They seemed to disappear off the radar with Murray.

Wow that was definitely a killer at LB that recruiting class.  This class was the class in limbo, we had no head coach for a month....Bubba and staff hired end of December and beginning of January.  I pointed this out on a different thread that Bubba's first true recruiting class would have been Sophomores this year if redshirted.   This junior class in 2017 would obviously in a normal situation play a big role as by juniors guys have the experience and are expected to step up.  While there were some good players in this class, due to late coach hire and trying to fill in a class in my opinion is part of the issue.  If this class is a little weaker than normal....and we experience a bunch of injuries.....that leads to a result which we saw playout this year.  Somebody else posted the two deep numbers by year, more than half of the two deep were freshman and sophomore.  Can't say that I know this for sure, but I'd be surprised if there are too many years where there are more freshman and sophomores in your two deep than juniors and seniors for UND or at the FCS level for Top 10 teams.   It's things like this that some people don't take into account in the trickle effect of everything that happened this year that snowballed into perfect disaster.   That said, it's still 1 strike against this staff as this year was horrible.  Time to rebound strong next year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Both in the coaches’ dog house ALOT  for lack of effort and general don’t-give-a-rip attitude on the practice field. Big misses, especially the former, IMHO. 

If you were healthy and could not play ILB for us this season  I would say move to a different position or move to a place you may have a chance to play.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O line Recruting:

2014

Colton Boas

Jacob Francis(ended up a TE)

Adam Stiner

Brendan Slaight

Demon Taylor

Grant Aplin

Dylan Beck

2015

Elijah Grady

Patric Rooney 

Bryce Blair

Kevin Camy

Justus Merz

2016

Nathon Nguon

Sean Russo

Ryan Tobin 

Bennet Helgren

Noah Mortel

Devan Hunt

2017 

Jeremy Jenkins

Connor Kruse

Wil Prine

 

Thoughts on O-line recruiting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2014 and 2015 most didn't pan out. Hopefully that 2016 class all hits because they're the upper classmen for the next 3 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

O line Recruting:

2014

Colton Boas

Jacob Francis(ended up a TE)

Adam Stiner

Brendan Slaight

Demon Taylor

Grant Aplin

Dylan Beck

2015

Elijah Grady

Patric Rooney 

Bryce Blair

Kevin Camy

Justus Merz

2016

Nathon Nguon

Sean Russo

Ryan Tobin 

Bennet Helgren

Noah Mortel

Devan Hunt

2017 

Jeremy Jenkins

Connor Kruse

Wil Prine

 

Thoughts on O-line recruiting?

2015: two massive losses with Grady and Merz !!  

The 2016 class, mainly do to attrition, has been the most impressive class of OL recruits.  I was most excited with Bennett.....he has size and his hudl tape was very impressive.  I know he was hobbling around most of his true fresh year with an injury ....not sure if that is still an issue or not.   Tobin is the real deal but like most....needs to gain weight.  Mortel and Nguon look solid as fresh.  

2017: Kruse looks very capable of contributing from everything I have seen.  

Next years recruit , Slater , has potential to start as true fresh. 

 

Together as group ....the OL needs to work on the footwork, leverage aspect and leg strength.  They were pushed back off the line way to much last year.  The tackles biggest issues were hand use and footwork.   They protect the edge so it's a little different in blocking style.   

There's definitely potential but need capable coaches to coach them up 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×