SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU schedule

mustangfan

Is Montana Tech the type of team the NDSU fans wanted to see when going D1?  I know their in a bind with their schedule, but an NAIA school.  They never played one when they were D2

I think we all knew the schedule would be tough. I like the fact that 9 games are against I-AA teams. Montana Tech should still draw 8-10k fans.

Massey Ratings.

#224 Concordia St Paul

#325 Valpo

#445 Wayne St

#461 Montana Tech

#469 SW State

#482 Crookston

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Bison Fans--

Answer my questions for me legitimately, please.

1. Why are you "D1" as is quoted hundreds of times by your supporters on your board and ours? What factors make you D1--players, coaches, fans, staff?

2. Why is your program better than UND's as is stated so many times lately? Factors why.

I just want to hear legit reasons why.

UND-GARY,

1. As the 2003-2004 season winds down as NDSU's last in Division II, NDSU athletics must follow Division I rules and regulations from the NCAA for the 2004-2005 season. That's the major factor for the DI references.

2. Are you talking football or athletic programs in general? If it's just football, yes, UND's program has been better lately. Where has it been stated that NDSU's has been better? NDSU will be in a higher level of competition starting next season, but that doesn't necessarily mean that NDSU will be better.

The schedule should be bad for this year. They're just lucky that Cal-Davis, UNC, and SDSU are with them. Next year should be the interesting schedule. If you can't start getting decent home games by year two, the luster will certainly wear off.

What are the odds on UMC playing against NDSU next year? :lol:

Anyone have Northern Colorado's, SDSU's, or Cal-Davis schedule handy?

Here are the schedules for all the Great West Football Conference members minus NDSU as the schedule has not been totally released yet since one more game is needed. Top 5 I-AA conference in the Gateway Conference member Indiana State was rumored to come to Fargo. But that is highly tenative

http://greatwestfootball.ocsn.com/scheds/gwfc-scheds.html

I am very happy with the schedule. Valpo and Montana Tech are most likely easy home wins but Northwestern State of Louisiana and Cal-Poly were both rated in the I-AA top 25 last year and should be very tough opponents.

It seems that no one mentions from the Sioux clan mentions anything but the Valpo and Montana Tech poor games. However, there are three very good I-AA teams coming to Fargo this fall. The third good home game being Southern Utah for homecoming.

If you look at last year's schedules from UC Davis and Northern Colorado, no I-AA opponents (other then them playing each other) were on their schedules.

This upcoming year is a lame duck year as NDSU (and SDSU) are considered DII teams in the eyes of I-AA or higher opponents but are considered I-AA against DII or lower opponents.

Given that fact, I am very happy with the schedule.

It seems that no one mentions from the Sioux clan mentions anything but the Valpo and Montana Tech poor games.  However, there are three very good I-AA teams coming to Fargo this fall.  The third good home game being Southern Utah for homecoming. 

And by the same token, all we seemed to hear from certain NDSU fans for the past few years regarding UND's schedule was Crookston, Crookston, Crookston. Never mind the fact that UND still managed to win the NCC and advance to the national championship game in two of the four "Crookston years." It should come as little surprise that some UND fans are going to give a little of that grief in return in response to NDSU scheduling an NAIA opponent and a non-scholarship school.

I am a big NCC fan and am sorry to see ndsu leave. Actually I think their schedule while crappy is better than I thought it would be. They have a few d1aa schools on their schedule. I thought they would end up with even more naia teams. Still don't think it is worth all the extra expense but the jury is out on their ultimate success. I wish D2 would change the playoff system to at least not punish d2 teams for playing d1aa teams. It would be neat to still play some 1aa teams. It seems like a win-win situation for UNO or UND to continue to play ndsu/sdsu once in awhile.

Oh yeah one other thing - when you SIoux fans are looking at your 2004 fb schedule and you are trying to figure out your record for next year you can put a big "L" beside the UNO game in Omaha. You haven't won down there since we reinstated our budget cutbacks in 96 and you won't be winning this year either.

Considering I was expecting that four low Div II or NAIA teams would have been on NDSU's schedule this year, Taylor actually did decent, especially with Nickels (sic) St., Northwestern (st.), and Weber St. I would question however, how much enthusiasm the schedule will generate among anyone but the most die-hard fan.

Taylor almost certainly had scheduling options with Northern Sun schools such as Crookston and Southwest State or even Dak-10 schools, but he gambled and won by not going that route. Montana Tech is not the media and political embarassment more local schools would have been. (Montana Tech, Montana State, no difference to the discerning fan. :lol: )

One other point: recently in the Forum there was a story about WDAY reporting the Big Sky presidents voted unanimously not to accept NDSU/SDSU. Forum sources said no such vote took place. My own educated "guess" is that both are partially correct. A vote probably took place among the presidents to seriously study certain schools about joining the Big Sky. NDSU/SDSU were unanimously excluded from the study group at this time, which may be reconsidered when their probation period is closer to expiring. Southern Utah almost certainly is being studied. Which leads to the next point:

50/50 odds that Southern Utah will be invited to the Big Sky within the next 15 months. With St. Mary's dropping football, this would really mess with the Great West's plan for an IAA auto bid as a five-school conference would not be eligible.

yah, the bison fans get a little edgy when you poke fun at their schedule. Bohl was on coaches show tonight and he didn't mention the team called MONTANA TECH. And by the way no phone calls were being taken. HMMM. I think even Bohl is embarressed by the NAIA team.

Valpo is terrible. Take it from somebody who played them last year. You've gotta remember that most of those I-AA nonscholarship teams aren't any better than division III teams (except for the ones out east). Valpo, Drake, Morehead State...all the schools in the pioneer league suck! Don't kids yourselves bison fans, most schools in the NCC would murder any team from that conference.

Just my opinion, but I think most Bison fans would take Valpo, Nicholls State, Northwest State, and Montana Tech over Ferris, Mesa, Delta, and Central Washington. UND fans might be the exact opposite - I don't pretend to understand what UND fans want in a non-conference schedule, but I do know what I like.

Personally, I think both schools have a lot to be happy about. UND has a lot of home games and NDSU plays nine DI-AA schools with five first-time meetings.

THIS UND football fan wants a non-conference schedule that will be exciting. The teams we will play this season have been pretty decent in the past, which makes for better football games. The players get more prepared for the conference season with games that are actually challenging.

Isn't that some of what a non-conference schedule is supposed to do? Help the players gel and mentally up for the rest of the season? It's hard to really get back in the swing of the regular season when you are on the sidelines watching the scrubbies after halftime.

just curious. if ndsu wanted to schedule a NAIA team, then why wouldnt they look a little closer geographically with a team that would at least be in the top 25, and would probably have a bigger draw beacuse of fan interest? i think we all know the reasons why they wouldnt. you be the judge. i just think its humorous that they still try justify it when we give them crap about scheduling an NAIA team, even though they have ALWAYS been on us about our schedule.

Final Rank Team Final 2003 Record

3 Sioux Falls (S.D.) 12-1

5 Dickinson State (N.D.) 11-1

6 Mary (N.D.) 10-2

18 Minot State (N.D.) 7-3

Just my opinion, but I think most Bison fans would take Valpo, Nicholls State, Northwest State, and Montana Tech over Ferris, Mesa, Delta, and Central Washington. UND fans might be the exact opposite - I don't pretend to understand what UND fans want in a non-conference schedule, but I do know what I like.

Personally, I think both schools have a lot to be happy about. UND has a lot of home games and NDSU plays nine DI-AA schools with five first-time meetings.

Obviously, you are certainly entitled to your opinion as to the relative strengths, or at least the name-recognition, of the respective non-conference opponents of UND and NDSU. I'd say that Weber St. was a good get for NDSU, but the rest of the non-conference games range from pretty good (Nicholls St. and NW St.) to horrible (Valpo and Montana Tech). UND's are all pretty solid, at worst. While I'm not a big fan of computer rankings, there's probably not any other way to compare opponents from different classifications. Here are the Massey rankings from the end of last season for anyone who's interested:

107 UND

111 Weber St.

113 NDSU

151 Delta St.

164 Ferris St.

165 Nicholls St.

181 Mesa St.

184 NW St.

225 Central Wash.

325 Valpo

461 Montana Tech

People can draw their own conclusions as to which team has the better non-conference schedule on paper. I, for one, wouldn't want to trade schedules with NDSU this year.

Like I said, maybe UND fans want something different than Bison fans.

All I know is that if I had to look forward to a couple decades of schedules in which a lineup of Mesa, C. Washington, Delta, and Ferris are considered to be as good as it gets, I'd be kind of depressed.

If I had to look forward to a couple decades in which 90% of the football talk on a Bison site was about UND, I'd be even more depressed.

All I know is that if I had to look forward to a couple decades of schedules in which a lineup of Mesa, C. Washington, Delta, and Ferris are considered to be as good as it gets, I'd be kind of depressed.

I don't believe anybody has said that this schedule is as good as it gets, but it's clearly a very solid division II non-conference schedule. Heck, a pretty good argument could be made that it would be a very solid I-AA non-conference schedule if you were simply judging the teams by their caliber as opposed to the label they have affixed to them.

If I had to look forward to a couple decades in which 90% of the football talk on a Bison site was about UND, I'd be even more depressed.

Let's face it, for the forseeable future there will still be plenty of talk about UND on your board, and about NDSU on this board. Mostly dealing with the alleged shortcomings of the other. That's no big surprise. I don't believe NDSU's schedule would be as big of a topic of conversation as it is but for the fact that some UND fans have heard the Crookston smack enough times to see this as an opportunity for a little payback.

Like I said, maybe UND fans want something different than Bison fans.

I guess I don't get it. UND plays Crookston, a fellow D2 team, for a few years, and took crap about it every single year, and that is fair. But when 1AA NDSU schedules NAIA Montana Tech, the response is "Look at our schedule as a whole, it is still good". What gives, can dish it out but no one can take it?