SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU schedule

mustangfan

NDSU's 2004 schedule is weak? Compared to who's schedule? Certainly not UND's. There are at least three teams on NDSU's schedule that would walk through UND's schedule undefeated: Northern Colorado, UC Davis, and Cal Poly. Northwest State, Weber State, and Nicholls State might lose one game, but would have a very good shot at running the schedule too. Anybody on UND's schedule have the remotest chance of running through NDSU's schedule undefeated? Didn't think so.

Are you saying we can all pack it in now because you have the answer key to the 2004 football season already?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drake and Valpariso?

In the 2002-2003 academic year, UND averaged more fans per home game than either Valpo or Drake did per home football game.

Now, let me finish that sentence:

In the 2002-2003 academic year, UND womens basketball averaged more fans per home game than either Valpo or Drake did per home football game.

The same can be said about NDSU's womens basketball averaging more fans per home game in the 2003-2004 season than Ferris State or Mesa State averaged for football in the 2003 season. Central Washington did average almost 500 more for football than Bison women's basketball, but 40% of DII football programs did not average as much as Bison women's basketball.

btw-Drake football averaged more than UND women's basketball in 2003/2004.

I am sorry to start such an uproar or stampede to this topic. Folks we have to admit tht the Bisonettes are right. Drake is a powerhouse. They won't go undefeated next year though. I saw four losses on their schedule. William Penn, the well documented Upper Iowa, Wisc. Platteville and of course the defending national champions Waldorf (entering their second year as a four year college.)

Wipe your brows and buckle your chin straps Bison....here come the Mighty Bulldogs.

The same can be said about NDSU's womens basketball averaging more fans per home game in the 2003-2004 season than Ferris State or Mesa State averaged for football in the 2003 season.

So a DII WBB averaged more than some DII FB programs. Yes. Can't disagree.

But what in the world is any DII womens BB team doing averaging more than any DI-AA football program?

I thought DI-AA football was an upgrade. Apparently, in the recent past, some DI-AA programs have been beaten by "the DII girls," as in BB, at the gate. Very disappointing.

I am sorry to start such an uproar or stampede to this topic.  Folks we have to admit tht the Bisonettes are right.  Drake is a powerhouse.  They won't go undefeated next year though.  I saw four losses on their schedule.  William Penn, the well documented Upper Iowa, Wisc. Platteville and of course the defending national champions Waldorf (entering their second year as a four year college.)

Wipe your brows and buckle your chin straps Bison....here come the Mighty Bulldogs.

I am not real excited about playing Drake.

Maybe MSU-Mankato should play them.

They might be able to improve from that "Goose Egg" last year.

The Mavericks did play Bemidji State close last year.

But what in the world is any DII womens BB team doing averaging more than any DI-AA football program?

I thought DI-AA football was an upgrade. Apparently, in the recent past, some DI-AA programs have been beaten by "the DII girls," as in BB, at the gate. Very disappointing.

With apologies to Vince. The same reason a DII women's BB team averaged more fans than over half of the DI men's hockey teams ;):D

Sicatoka,

As we are using an approximate figure of 2,500 for attendance, 16 out of 121 DI-AA schools averaged less than 2,500 for football last year. 60 out of 150 DII schools failed to meet that mark last year. There's overlap in football attendance between divisions. NDSU and two HBCU's would be the only DII schools in the top 30 for I-AA attendance last year. There were 43 I-AA schools that had better attendance than the worst I-A school last year. Only 8 DII schools (one of which will no longer be DII ;) ) could say that.

short version- DI-AA attendance is greater than DII attendance.

doclenz,

Holy Plasticman, Batman! What a stretch!

Slamming the schedule of an unconfirmed opponent of NDSU? :D

Better check the schedule of the team from the conference so nice, they play each other twice. ;) (Central Washington)

Tony has been back to the future. :D

By using "would", I thought you'd pick up on the hypothetical nature of my comments (see the italicized comments below). I'll be more clear: there at least three teams on NDSU's schedule that, if they played all of UND's 2004 opponents instead of their currently scheduled ones, would probably go undefeated. In addition, NDSU has three other teams scheduled that might be able to go undefeated with UND's schedule. I could be wrong - maybe Delta State or Central Washington have picked up another slew of transfers who will elevate their teams to the upper echelon of DII for one shining season.

On the other hand, all (or almost all) of the teams on UND's 2004 schedule would struggle to be above .500, if they were to play NDSU's schedule instead of their own.

I'm not disputing that there are some (or perhaps several) teams on UND's schedule that might be able to beat Montana Tech or Valparaiso, but on some level you guys must be aware that NDSU's schedule is a heckuva lot tougher than UND's. That's all I'm saying.

When NDSU and UND used to have the same conference schedule it made sense to look at the two or three non-conference games to compare schedule strength because all else was equal. There isn't any overlap anymore so you have to compare the schedules in their entirity.

By using "would", I thought you'd pick up on the hypothetical nature of my comments (see the italicized comments below). I'll be more clear: there at least three teams on NDSU's schedule that, if they played all of UND's 2004 opponents instead of their currently scheduled ones, would probably go undefeated. In addition, NDSU has three other teams scheduled that might be able to go undefeated with UND's schedule. I could be wrong - maybe Delta State or Central Washington have picked up another slew of transfers who will elevate their teams to the upper echelon of DII for one shining season.

On the other hand, all (or almost all) of the teams on UND's 2004 schedule would struggle to be above .500, if they were to play NDSU's schedule instead of their own.

I'm not disputing that there are some (or perhaps several) teams on UND's schedule that might be able to beat Montana Tech or Valparaiso, but on some level you guys must be aware that NDSU's schedule is a heckuva lot tougher than UND's. That's all I'm saying.

When NDSU and UND used to have the same conference schedule it made sense to look at the two or three non-conference games to compare schedule strength because all else was equal. There isn't any overlap anymore so you have to compare the schedules in their entirity.

NDSU's schedule better be tougher than UND's. They're in the big time now. :D

To me, there is some basis to make comparisons between the 2 schedules. Last year, the Bison went into the home of the powerful Montana Grizzly and came home victorious. UNA went to Jacksonville St or whoever the Hell it was, a team ranked in the top 25 at the time, and defeated them. Central Washington went to Montana St, home of the Big Sky champion Bobcats, the "toughest 1AA conference in all the land", and sleighed that dragon. D2 National Champ Grand Valley went into Davis, CA, and took down the homestanding and Great Western power to be Aggies. It has been said before, and it will be said again, there is not much difference between the divisions. If these D2 teams, some of them playoff bound in the lowly NCAA division of 2, others not up to that task, could go into hostile territory and beat the heavily favored and superiorly talented ranked teams from the "greater echelon" I see no reason to believe that any team on NDSU's would walk through UND's schedule undefeated, or even that it can be said that NDSU's schedule is much tougher then UND's at all, because there are some non-playoff level teams on UND's schedule, the same ilk of teams that have sleighed the dragon before against "good" 1AA teams, and a lot of the teams in question come off of mediocre records last year. The proof is in the puddin, and NDSU mixed a good batch last year in beating the Griz, then losing to a few "lowly D2 teams". How quickly people forget.

Just the fact the NDSU went to Montana and beat them last season tells you there isn't much difference between the top level of DII and DI-AA --- HELLO --- NDSU was a good team but not a great team last season - as evidenced by their season record. You'd think a DII team slaying a DI-AA DRAGON like that would have ripped through their (self proclaimed now-PITIFUL) division!!!!!...oh...I guess not!!!!!!

(waiting for NDSU to melt down their "worthless" DII NC trophy's to make the new "BIG STICK" trophy to replace the nickel!!!)

STICK THAT!

Corella, Central Washington didn't play Montana State last year. They did play UC Davis though and got pounded 41-7. They also played Carroll MT (same league as Montana Tech) and got beat. So yeah, there is some comparison between the schedules, but not much. NDSU and UND don't even have any common opponents in 2004.

SiouxMeNow, if there's no difference between DII and DI-AA, prove it: insist that UND schedule Montana or NDSU. Ask Thomas to work to get the ridiculous rating system scrapped or adjusted. If he really wants to schedule NDSU again, that's what he'd be doing.

Maybe you have a point. Maybe DII's lower academic standards and softer transfer rules offset DI-AA's advantage in scholarships. I'd prefer to see it settled on the field rather than debated on a messageboard.

Until UND and NDSU play again, I guess you'll have to be content with Bakken and Schultz telling everybody that UND has the best football team in the state. Maybe they can award you a trophy every year. I'd suggest something tasteful, fashioned from the coproliltic leavings of an extinct species of horse :D because that's all it'd represent.

Bottom line, it is plain dumb logic to say that there are potentially 6-7 teams on NDSU's schedule that could go undefeated if given UND's schedule. There are no teams of the caliber of Montana on there, and even Montana was defeated by a non-playoff Division 2 team. With your logic, then NDSU should have walked through their schedule last year and took home a national title because they beat such a storied 1AA team, when, in reality, they were at home watching the playoffs on TV after having lost to 2 D2 teams, one of them a non-playoff team also. It simply doen't make sense.

Corella, Central Washington didn't play Montana State last year. They did play UC Davis though and got pounded 41-7. They also played Carroll MT (same league as Montana Tech) and got beat. So yeah, there is some comparison between the schedules, but not much. NDSU and UND don't even have any common opponents in 2004.

SiouxMeNow, if there's no difference between DII and DI-AA, prove it: insist that UND schedule Montana or NDSU. Ask Thomas to work to get the ridiculous rating system scrapped or adjusted. If he really wants to schedule NDSU again, that's what he'd be doing.

Maybe you have a point. Maybe DII's lower academic standards and softer transfer rules offset DI-AA's advantage in scholarships. I'd prefer to see it settled on the field rather than debated on a messageboard.

Until UND and NDSU play again, I guess you'll have to be content with Bakken and Schultz telling everybody that UND has the best football team in the state. Maybe they can award you a trophy every year. I'd suggest something tasteful, fashioned from the coproliltic leavings of an extinct species of horse :D because that's all it'd represent.

Tony,

You make ridiculous and outlandish requests. Is Roger Thomas the head of the NCAA-DII Football committee? You make it sound as if all he needs to do is snap his fingers, and VOILA!!!, no more SOS Index.

Another thing, the top DII teams are capable of beating ANY DI-AA team in any year. You guys showed it last year by beating Montana. Stop thinking that because you are DI-AA, you are a superior football school. Simply put, youre not.

The best part of this thread is that the Bison fans keep yammering about great their SCHEDULE is ... :D;)

Win a trophy,

Win a nickel,

Have nicer facilities than your DII brethren,

THEN talk about how great you are.

Till then, don't gloat about Southern Utah.

Which teams on UND's schedule would you favor to beat Davis or UNC?

Personally, ask me after the season's over.

Isn't that why schedules are played?

Right now it's all posturing and supposition, unless someone really does have the answer key and isn't letting on.

In 2001, Central Washington had a 4-7 record. Their 2002 schedule included the defending D2 champ, a D2 semifinalist, and 2 I-AA opponents (including the eventual Big Sky champ).

If I would have boldly proclaimed 2 years ago at this time that Central Washington would not only go undefeated, but also beat each of those four opponents by at least 10 points, I would have been told I was crazy. CWU finished the 2002 regular season 11-0.

In 2002, North Alabama had a 4-7 record. Their 2003 schedule included a game against a I-AA opponent, a road game against 3 time defending GSC champ Valdosta St., not to mention the fact that UNA plays in one of the top 2 or 3 conferences in D2.

If I would have said last year at this time that UNA would be playing in the D2 semifinals with a 13-0 record, again, I would have been told I was crazy.

My point- it's foolish to proclaim that a group of teams would go undefeated if only they played a different schedule. You have no idea what teams might suddenly fall flat on their face (see NDSU 2002) or come out of nowhere to be a dominant like my above two examples.

I can say this with certainty, however: NDSU now plays in a division where 1/3 of all the schools give out less scholarships for football than Minnesota-Crookston. Bison fans will be treated to home games with two such schools and the Montana equivalent of Valley City State. Have fun! :D

Tony, it really pains me to see you proclaim that you have upwards of 7 teams on the NDSU schedule that could run the table given UND's schedule. Last year, if I looked at UND's schedule and asked myself if Montana had it, would they be able to run the table. I probably would have said yes, but then a team that doesn't even qualify for the playoffs or win the "lowly D2 NCC" goes and beats them, and Montana was supposed to be the cream of the crop. Certainly no one around the country has or will put UC-Davis, Cal-Poly, Weber St, Valpo, Nicholls St, whichever non-cardinal Louisiana school it is, UNC, or anyone else I see listed in Montana's class. That is really all that needs to be said to refute the statement. NDSU proved last year by beating the nation's premier 1AA program in Montana that if a non-playoff D2 team can do it, there are a good 20-30 other D2 teams that could easily give a 1AA powerhouse such as Montana a run for their money. With that out there, how the Hell could as many as 7 teams on NDSU's schedule run the table given UND's, when NDSU proved the exact opposite point last year against a team a many times better then anyone I see on the Bison's schedule this year??

In 2001, Central Washington had a 4-7 record. Their 2002 schedule included the defending D2 champ, a D2 semifinalist, and 2 I-AA opponents (including the eventual Big Sky champ).

If I would have boldly proclaimed 2 years ago at this time that Central Washington would not only go undefeated, but also beat each of those four opponents by at least 10 points, I would have been told I was crazy. CWU finished the 2002 regular season 11-0.

In 2002, North Alabama had a 4-7 record. Their 2003 schedule included a game against a I-AA opponent, a road game against 3 time defending GSC champ Valdosta St., not to mention the fact that UNA plays in one of the top 2 or 3 conferences in D2.

If I would have said last year at this time that UNA would be playing in the D2 semifinals with a 13-0 record, again, I would have been told I was crazy.

My point- it's foolish to proclaim that a group of teams would go undefeated if only they played a different schedule. You have no idea what teams might suddenly fall flat on their face (see NDSU 2002) or come out of nowhere to be a dominant like my above two examples.

I can say this with certainty, however: NDSU now plays in a division where 1/3 of all the schools give out less scholarships for football than Minnesota-Crookston. Bison fans will be treated to home games with two such schools and the Montana equivalent of Valley City State. Have fun! :D

Yes, and 95% of those schools (including Valparaiso) would wax UM-Crookston and MSU-Moorhead. Call it conjecture if you wish, but there is no doubt in my mind, and I would put a considerable amount of money on the outcome.

I will have a lot of fun watching NDSU play UC-Davis, Cal-Poly, Northern Colorado, and the two Southland teams. By the way, I also think Montana Tech would beat UM-Crookston and MSU-Moorhead and also we only play non-scholly at home.

Tony, it really pains me to see you proclaim that you have upwards of 7 teams on the NDSU schedule that could run the table given UND's schedule. Last year, if I looked at UND's schedule and asked myself if Montana had it, would they be able to run the table. I probably would have said yes, but then a team that doesn't even qualify for the playoffs or win the "lowly D2 NCC" goes and beats them, and Montana was supposed to be the cream of the crop. Certainly no one around the country has or will put UC-Davis, Cal-Poly, Weber St, Valpo, Nicholls St, whichever non-cardinal Louisiana school it is, UNC, or anyone else I see listed in Montana's class. That is really all that needs to be said to refute the statement. NDSU proved last year by beating the nation's premier 1AA program in Montana that if a non-playoff D2 team can do it, there are a good 20-30 other D2 teams that could easily give a 1AA powerhouse such as Montana a run for their money. With that out there, how the Hell could as many as 7 teams on NDSU's schedule run the table given UND's, when NDSU proved the exact opposite point last year against a team a many times better then anyone I see on the Bison's schedule this year??

The only problem with that is that in DII there is a huge difference between being a playoff team and being one of the top 16 teams in the country. I would have easily put NDSU in the top ten last year, and given that there may have been a dozen DII teams that could have beat Montana on any given day. But Montana was far from being the premier team in I-AA last year. There is no (and I mean no) DII team that could have touched Delaware last year. I will stand very strongly by that statement too.

Montana Tech isnt bad enough to play Montana Tech. Based on how this schedule is coming along they'll probably end up playing the Kindred Community College in the first round, or maybe they'll get lucky and meet the 3rd grade Langdon kickball All-Stars. The move to Division 1 is pointless for the bison. Instead of playing St. Cloud State they get their homecoming against the Southern Utah University Thunderbirds. One more thing to make fun of the bison for.