SiouxSports.com Forum

Final thoughts on final five

01grad

I just watched the tape from the championship game for the first time. It was tough knowing the outcome but I wanted to take it in again.

It was a very exciting game, but very poorly played at times by both teams.

The 3 main areas for us to improve in before we are ready for next weekend:

(1)Goaltending and (2)turnovers (giveaways) in each others own zones killed each team. Brandt looked awful. The only good save he made was the time he dove out to knock the puck away to stop the breakaway. I think that Blais felt since we already were pretty much guaranteed a #1 seed, both goalies should have a chance to play in this tournament because each contributed greatly in getting us to this point. Since Brandt had more experience he would be getting the bigger game and better team. I realize that the Alaska game was a different situation, but Parise looked pretty good and in my opinion probably perfomed better against the gophers. I think that Parise should get the next start against Holy Cross. He may not be the better goaltender, but the team may play differently in front of him and he and the team are successful.

(3)We took way too many dumb penalties and were suckered in by the gophers. Greene still needs to keep his frustrations under control before he will ever be a complete player.

If we can solve or minimize these areas of concern we should be ready to go. The way our top players are playing right now is just amazing. Our forwards are just flying and creating a ton of opportunities. Zach is tremndously increasing his chances of grasping the hobey by his leadership and contributions on the ice. Bochenski and others are also getting it done. Stafford really created many scoring chances for himself and Murray is also doing the same. We need our other guys to follow suit now and get it all working at the same time.

The passing and speed of both the gophers and the Sioux were a night and day comparison to the other final five games. They are by far head and shoulders above any other team in our conference and it will be fun to see them dominate the other teams in the nation.

It was interesting watching how lazy Vanek was before he scored that lucky goal that was handed to him. He was just circling and hanging out not moving his feet and then the puck was on his stick. It was very dissapointing to see the way we gave them game away to them. Like Woog and Mazzacco said it was really fun to see Blais gamble with the goalie pulled and then work him back in like he was on a line change. They said that this game would top all others in the NCAA's but just wait until we match up with them again in the frozen four, because Maine, Boston College, gophers and Us will be there and we will beat Maine in the championship!

All in all a very fun weekend. From the guy getting thrown out of a window at Tom Reids to hanging out with the AA players at the wild oinion, can't wait until next year!

GO SIOUX!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first time ever going to an away games. Some things I noticed were how much our cheer team sucks and we don't have a mascot. All our cheerleaders do is wave their pom poms in the air and they're not even together most of the time. It was cool watching the goopher cheerleaders and umd cheerleaders do flips and twirls. I even thought it was cool when they were lifting each other up into the air. They should teach our cheerleaders how to do that.

I also liked how UMD and the UMN had a mascot. I was trying to think of what we could use as a mascot but really couldn't think of any. I would love to dress up as the mascot if we ever had one and go around to each different section getting the crowd all fired up.

The Minnesota Gopher cheer is long, but I noticed how all the gopher fans really got into it. We need to get everybody going like that at the Ralph. S-I-O-U-X North Dakota, North Dakota, heyyyyyyyyyyy Sioux!!!!!!

Granted, I was not at the game but I'm confused with all the comments about how Brandt sucked. I listened to TH on the radio and it sounded as if JB made some huge saves, especially in the first period. I agree it would not qualify as his best game but our D hung him out to try on a few occassions. After Deno's come to Jesus talk this week, I doubt that will happen again.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Brandt will be skating around the Fleet Center with the NC trophy over his head.

I can't wait to see the Sioux in person this Friday.

Granted, I was not at the game but I'm confused with all the comments about how Brandt sucked. I listened to TH on the radio and it sounded as if JB made some huge saves, especially in the first period.

Yes he did. If Brandt hadn't come up big in the first period when the Gophers outshot the Sioux 17-8, UND could easily have been down 4-0.

I loved the entire weekend. Third row from the glass at center ice behind the players (mostly AA's players/3times anyway) bench. What a fun weekend of hockey, great goals, great saves, crappy reffing (at times).

I even heard UAA's assistant coach specifically call out Mike Prpich's number before the Mauling that took place. He shouted "number 19, number 19" they took a quick time out, and after the next faceoff featuring Prpich's line they were all over him. I didn't see exactly what Mikey did, but man can he get into opponent's skins like no other. I've never seen (in person straight from his mouth) a coach call out a number like that. NOT VERY CLASSY IF YOU ASK ME. But I laughed at the whole thing and so did Prpich.

Best goals of the tourney had to be Bochenski's undressing of the Gopher defender shorthanded (slight bias :angry: ) tied with Curtis Glencross' slapper from inside the zone against UMD. I LOVE those goals, and it followed a dynomite save by Reiter.

It was one of my most memorable moments as a hockey fan, but only because I've never been that close to the action for that many games in a weekend. My mind was in overload by the end.

:D;):angry::angry:

This was my first time ever going to an away games. Some things I noticed were how much our cheer team sucks and we don't have a mascot. All our cheerleaders do is wave their pom poms in the air and they're not even together most of the time. It was cool watching the goopher cheerleaders and umd cheerleaders do flips and twirls. I even thought it was cool when they were lifting each other up into the air. They should teach our cheerleaders how to do that.

I also liked how UMD and the UMN had a mascot. I was trying to think of what we could use as a mascot but really couldn't think of any. I would love to dress up as the mascot if we ever had one and go around to each different section getting the crowd all fired up.

First of all, our cheerleaders are great...two even smiled at me during the Gopher game (made the loss a little easier to take...one was right after the disallowed goal and a Gopher fan yelled at me to sit down, as I was standing and clapping with a smug look on my face, then she smilied her encouragement, so I clapped louder) :angry:

On the mascot issue...think of our nickname and the controversy that surrounds it, that'll answer why we don't have one. Two, I just about took Goldy's head off on Saturday night...if he'd a spun his head, it was comin' off.

The Minnesota Gopher cheer is long, but I noticed how all the gopher fans really got into it. We need to get everybody going like that at the Ralph. S-I-O-U-X North Dakota, North Dakota, heyyyyyyyyyyy Sioux!!!!!!

Yes, it is long...annoying too. I, for one, am sure happy we don't do this. We need to get everyone involved in the sieve cheer. I liked the Green Hairum with the Mediocre signs that they held up every time they did the Rouser. I even started spelling it out for the Gopher fans...but I don't think they heard me ;)

(Ok, who didn't have me jumping in to defend the cheerleaders...anyone, anyone? Bueller?)

Final Five Final (non-hockey realted) Thoughts...1) BeerDarts rules!! I got to try my hand at BeerDarts, I'm 1-3 (the one did come against a Gopher fan, as did 2.5 of the losses...WPoS stepped in for forecheck and bottom-holed me in one shot :D , that's where the .5 comes in). I need to brush up on my dart throwing skills at the bars this off season. 2) While they may seem like arrogant no nothings on here :angry: , the POI crew is really a great bunch of people to tailgate with. Despite the fact that forecheck and I (and several other Sioux fans who don't post here on Saturday) took quite a bit of heat from them (all good-natured...I hope) I will tailgate with them anytime. 3) The tUMD Penalty Box is the biggest bunch of drunks in college hockey, they know it, and their damned proud of it. DHG is probably one of the funniest people I've ever had the pleasure of drinking with. I'll party with them anytime as well...though I wouldn't be able to go drink for drink with them, nor would I try. 4) While I've always hated the Avalanche, I now hate them even more for a fan of theirs ****-blocking me on Padre Island with a girl I was trying to sweet-talk and share my hockey knowledge (not really Final Five related at all...but it still pi$$ed me off...amongst other things). 5) Walking to Minnesota & 4th from the X, then all the way back to Tom Reid's for the tailgate is long...and cold when all you have on is wind-breaker pants and a great looking green Matt Jones jersey, but worth it (see #'s 1-3). 6) And finally, Gopher fans really do like Dean Blais...as one of them was wearing a Blais throwback from his Gopher days. Complete with nameplate and everything.

Yes he did. If Brandt hadn't come up big in the first period when the Gophers outshot the Sioux 17-8, UND could easily have been down 4-0.

First off, I think Jake would agree it wasn't his best performance overall of the year.......however, I agree.......his 1st period was very good! Wow did we get outshot!

a couple of his goals were "soft"......but then our guys didn't help him out a few times. One of the goals, we couldn't clear the zone due to some "lazy play" (IMO). Greene rarely will give up that GIFT of a pass right out front. So overall, we still would have had a chance to win if those goals aren't let in.

While I was totally impressed with JPar's game against AA, I am not sure how he would have handled that crowd and all the pressure?

While I was totally impressed with JPar's game against AA, I am not sure how he would have handled that crowd and all the pressure?

With regard to whether JPar can handle it, I'll bet we're going to find out next year...I agree with you, I thought Brandt did a good job in the 1st period - I told my wife the score should have been 4 - 1. The failure to clear the puck and fateful turnovers cost them the game.

I was telling a friend that I think this is first time they have given up 5 goals all year. Usually when they score 4 or more goals they win, period.

Is there a fun bus going to Colorado Springs from Grand Forks???

What a weekend! Between Cub Scout Pack 406 meeting (and all-scout cake bake) Thursday night to Cub Scout Den 8 bowling at the Super Bowl in Ramsey Sunday afternoon, it was hockey, hockey and more hockey.

I was able to find the television Thursday night in time to see the last fifteen minutes of CC/UAA. At times down the stretch, the question of whether eleven hockey players and their gear (and one puck) would fit in a phone booth was answered affirmatively, as everyone converged on the puck as it bouced about in front of King.

Friday started with a downtown St.Paul traffic jam 80 minutes before game time, but we made it fine. At the start of warm-ups, Bochenski was on his knees stretching along the side boards when a puck found its way to him. From his stretch, he fired it at the net, just missing. So he sent another, catching the upper left corner. At the end of warm-ups, when a flowing crowd of Sioux players was skating through the slot shooting pucks, Zach stood just off the left post, roofing any strays that came his way.

To be honest, the UND/UAA game was a typical sleepy afternoon affair between a favored #1 seed and a tired play-in winner. It followed a familiar formula: the favorite applies its will on the game, gets its lead, and basically skates off the game. I would have liked to have seen the score go to 5-1 in the third just to take any further pressure off, but it wasn

Thank you NorthStar, I'm with you on this one. Last time I checked, we had a CHEER team. Not a figure skating team. The cheer team did a pretty d*** good job of getting our crowd fired up. It would be pretty hard to cheer in that arena filled with gopher fans. Our cheer team doesn't stunt because it is not allowed at UND.

And what's this crap about a mascot?? That would be very degrading. Think a little before you make comments like that. This is why we have a big controversy over the Sioux name.

I would like to reply in the cheer team's defense. First off, they are not allowed by university rules to stunt or lift each other off the ice and twirl as you call it. Second of all, they did not have a coach or any sort of direction helping them out during the final five, which means they were limited to the types of things they could do on and off the ice. Third off, the band was not at the final five, making it difficult for the cheerleaders to dance/chant/ or cheer throughout the game. They had to work around the gopher band and sit on stairs surrounded by gopher fans. If you ask me they do a pretty fine job, considering the recognition, support, and praise they recieve from fans. These girls work hard, lift weights, practice three times a week- sometimes until 11:30pm. Give them some credit for what they do!

In addition to the UND cheer team talk, I think those women

did and have done an outstanding job throughtout the

year and especially at the final 5. They stood in front

of 19 thousand plus fans, many of which were UofM,

and still got the UND croud fired up!

For a town the size of grand forks compared to the population

of minneapolis, the turnout of the total number UND fans at the final 5

was great to see and hear!

We had one in 90s. Thunder. You had to love his first entrance into Englestad with AC/DC's Thunder Struck being the intro music. I went to a hockey game and thought that the WWF had taken over. ;)

On the mascot issue...think of our nickname and the controversy that surrounds it, that'll answer why we don't have one.

I think the Sioux could use a mascot that is completely unrelated to their team name if they felt the need to do it. For example, the University of Alabama's team name is the Crimson Tide. Their mascot is an elephant.

I think the last thing we need is a mascot. About the only mascot I've seen that is any good is Goldy, rip me if you want.

When we were in Duluth before the first game my son (9 yrs old) was watching their 2 mascots and finally turned to me and said "Dad, aren't the mascots supposed to be doing funny stuff?".

dagies - The Maroon Loon used to be the best of the best of the best, back in the day when the Loon was a rouge, unauthorized mascot. You've probably seen most of Goldy's stuff (sledding, signs, etc), most all bits started by the original Maroon Loon. Since it's been brought into the official fold at UMD the Loon is not nearly as entertaining.

I would like to reply in the cheer team's defense. First off, they are not allowed by university rules to stunt or lift each other off the ice and twirl as you call it. Second of all, they did not have a coach or any sort of direction helping them out during the final five, which means they were limited to the types of things they could do on and off the ice. Third off, the band was not at the final five, making it difficult for the cheerleaders to dance/chant/ or cheer throughout the game. They had to work around the gopher band and sit on stairs surrounded by gopher fans. If you ask me they do a pretty fine job, considering the recognition, support, and praise they recieve from fans. These girls work hard, lift weights, practice three times a week- sometimes until 11:30pm. Give them some credit for what they do!

Thank you

dagies - The Maroon Loon used to be the best of the best of the best, back in the day when the Loon was a rouge, unauthorized mascot. You've probably seen most of Goldy's stuff (sledding, signs, etc), most all bits started by the original Maroon Loon. Since it's been brought into the official fold at UMD the Loon is not nearly as entertaining.

FREE THE LOON!

Indeed the Loon used to be a crazy mascot in the 80s. He even did appearances at North Star games and the like.

The Loon has been declining since then and the last blow was when he squirted Gopher fans with a Super Soaker and got beat up. He hasn't done anything fun since then.