Briggs Tourney MVP?

siouxnami

What a joke...

The all tournment team was:

Irman - my pick for MVP

Bo - last goal was awesome power, speed, and an amazing shot

Parise - best player on the ice

Ballard - solid very, always noticable on the ice

Jones - whatever, seemed like he was responsible for a bad Vanek goal, maybe I got my numbers mixed up. He never stood out, but then neither did anyone else on D.

and Briggs??? - What a joke

First King should have been the goalie on the all tourney team as he was the ONLY solid goalie that played 2 games. Briggs was terrible. He let in many soft goals against Duluth and was nothing special against UND. The whole tournment he was a rebound machine.

The Gophers won despite Briggs. They won because Brandt played his worst game of the season (considering Wisconsin, but the first two periods were good there), letting in what I thought were 3 or 4 soft goals. That last goal was a joke.

I expect that this game was an exception and I hope to see Brandt play the next 4 games as he is the best keeper at UND. Now the real season begins...

Jones - whatever, seemed like he was responsible for a bad Vanek goal, maybe I got my numbers mixed up. He never stood out, but then neither did anyone else on D.

Read this at the Gopher site about the Vanek goal, looks like it was Greene:

The Golden Gophers tied the game at three just 2:08 into the third period on Thomas Vanek

By no means do I think Briggs deserved it but in a post game interview I heard on the radio he didn't think he deserved it and asked if his own family was doing the voting.

In my HMO that is modesty.

Briggs Tourney MVP? I know it's hard to belive. There was more than a little beverage consumption going on this weekend at the Final 5. Perhaps those who voted had a few too many barley pops too! You'd have to have had more than a few though to mistake Briggs for MVP! :D

The goal Vanek scored was a gift from Greene. But there was some pretty bad defense the whole game by the sioux. The goal that got called off was a bad defensive play by someone on the backcheck not taking the man. But there were times when the Sioux just took it too them but as a third period team this year, they did not play that way. Briggs did not deserve to be MVP of the tourney considering he gave up 9 goals in 2 games and got some good bounces in front of him.

King was THE best goaltender at the Final Five...no one was even close. He let in 1 goal on 47 shots vs. CC to give AA a chance at the autobid, and 4 goals on another 40 some odd shots against one of the most high powered offeses in the country. I'm glad Briggs was "modest" about it, because he kept just enough pucks out of the net for Minny to win. They played two even games, and 8 goals in two games...as compared to 5...c'mon voters, grow a pair and recognize great goaltending. Briggs played Hauseresque (without the stickwork)...solid, but nothing special.

Irmen played extrememly well and deserved to be tourney MVP, he was all over the ice both nights.

Irmen played extrememly well and deserved to be tourney MVP, he was all over the ice both nights.

I agree with that.

There is no way Briggs is the MVP. In some cases the goaltending takes too much blame for his team losing, but in other cases, the goalie gets more credit than he deserved. That is definitely the case here.

While I think King deserved to be MVP on merits alone, you have to ask yourself why the the voters (who--media?) refused to throw Anchorage a bone. Clearly, the Seawolves were the story of the tournament for a lot of reasons and they were snubbed when King wasn't placed on the all-tourney team. If you aren't gong to vote the top scorer MVP and give the award instead to a goalie, you darn well better award it to the BEST goalie there. I can't believe anyone doubts that King was the best goalie on the ice.

While I think King deserved to be MVP on merits alone, you have to ask yourself why the the voters (who--media?) refused to throw Anchorage a bone. Clearly, the Seawolves were the story of the tournament for a lot of reasons and they were snubbed when King wasn't placed on the all-tourney team. If you aren't gong to vote the top scorer MVP and give the award instead to a goalie, you darn well better award it to the BEST goalie there. I can't believe anyone doubts that King was the best goalie on the ice.

I don't know that anyone could have said that any better... can we bring this to old Bruce M's attention? The people who voted on this award need to be taken outside and beaten by the likes of Matt Greene, Matt Jones, Mike Prpich, Jake Taylor, Marco Peluso, etc... :D

One clarification: The media at the Final Five does not select the all-tournament team. It is selected by an unnamed panel of five people that votes via secret ballot and one person turns the results of the voting in to the WCHA officials at the end of the last game.

When asked who was on the panel, the WCHA officials questioned after the game did not know who had done the actual voting. Several members of the media complained about this, and there may be a change in the way the all-tournament team is selected in the future.

And in one hockey-watcher's opinion, this would have been a better and more deserving all-tourney team:

F - Parise

F - Irmen

F - Schwabe

D - Ballard

D - Jones

G - King

MVP - Irmen

One clarification: The media at the Final Five does not select the all-tournament team. It is selected by an unnamed panel of five people that votes via secret ballot and one person turns the results of the voting in to the WCHA officials at the end of the last game.

When asked who was on the panel, the WCHA officials questioned after the game did not know who had done the actual voting. Several members of the media complained about this, and there may be a change in the way the all-tournament team is selected in the future.

And in one hockey-watcher's opinion, this would have been a better and more deserving all-tourney team:

F - Parise

F - Irmen

F - Schwabe

D - Ballard

D - Jones

G - King

MVP - Irmen

This post sums up my picks, though I'm not convince any defensemen had great weekends.

Voting secrecy is stupid. There is no accountability then.

Irmen-- 3-1--4 deserves recognition

Where was:

Schwabe-- also 3-1--4, better than Irmen in the UM/UMD game

Ridiculous to just divide up all-tournewy honors between the two teams in the championship game.

Did the voters WATCH any games other than Saturday night?? :D

Where was:

Ridiculous to just divide up all-tournewy honors between the two teams in the championship game.

Isn't it obvious they didn't WATCH the game.....hell Briggs got the MVP.

Where was:

I agree about Irmen, but not about Irmen's performance against UMN. I think the recognition is due that an, at best, mediocre penalty kill of Minnesota managed to score short handed on the Bulldogs. SHGs should be a rarity and Irmen made it look easy.

I agree about Irmen, but not about Irmen's performance against UMN. I think the recognition is due that an, at best, mediocre penalty kill of Minnesota managed to score short handed on the Bulldogs. SHGs should be a rarity and Irmen made it look easy.

Danny is deadly on the PK, last year in Lincoln, he lead the league in SHG with 9 I think.

Did any defensmen play defense at all this tournament?

Watching the games, Ballard and Jones (my bias aside) definately had the best tourney of defensmen though neither really played that well.

MY all tourney team

MVP - Irmen

F-Irmen

F-Parise

F-Schwabe (got screwed out of a goal...he should have had 2 on Saturday, they gave it to Lessard)

D-Jones

D-Ballard

G-King

I agree about Irmen, but not about Irmen's performance against UMN

redwing...Irmen didn't play against UMN ;)