SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Defensive Backs

UND-FB-FAN

Q & A with junior cornerback Deion Harris

http://www.hibbingmn.com/special_editorial/living-by-the-playbook/article_e77a0536-f50d-11e5-88e3-2b0a5da4d8d6.html

Last season, the run defense was very good; however, the pass defense struggled, particularly on one-on-one 50/50 deep balls. Thankfully, between the returning experience and newcomers, I believe the 2016 pass defense should be improved. All in all, better DB play = more wins in 2016....

Current (Spring) Defensive Backs:

No.
Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
Yr.
Hometown (Prev School)
3 Tyus Carter DB 5-11 180 So. Greenwood Village, Colo. (Cherry Creek High School)
8 Cole Reyes DB 6-2 220 Jr. Schaumburg, Ill. (Schaumburg High School)
10 Jawon Johnson DB 6-2 210 Sr. East Orange, N.J. (New Mexico Military Academy)
16 Torrey Hunt DB 6-1 185 RFr. Madison, Ala. (Navy Prep) (Bob Jones)
17 Charles Flowers DB 5-11 180 Jr. Chino Hills, Calif. (Citrus College)
18 Chris Carter DB 5-10 190 Jr. Bloomfield Hills, Mich. (Brother Rice High School)
19 Deion Harris DB 6-3 190 Jr. Hibbing, Minn. (Hibbing High School)
20 Zach Arnell DB 6-2 195 Jr. Rancho Bernardo, Calif. (Santa Barbara CC)
27 Jahmere Irvin-Sills DB 5-10 175 Jr. Elkton, Md. (Mississippi State) (Eastern Christian Academy)
33 Tanner Palmborg DB 6-1 200 So. Princeton, Minn. (Princeton High School)
34 Garrett Bollant DB 5-11 175 So. Lodi, Wis. (Lodi High School)
35 Vashon Tucker DB 5-11 195 RFr. Elkton, Md. (Eastern Christian Academy)

• Upvote 2

It sure will be nice to have both Arnell and Reyes back out there this year, hopefully for the entire year (knock on wood).  It will be interesting to see who ends up starting at corner.  Hopefully they all have improved and will be able to play more on instinct this year because they will know the system and be able to make a lot more plays, instead of thinking too much.  If the secondary steps up in a big way this year it's going to be really fun to watch the D again this year.   Can't wait until football season....super excited about this coming fall! 

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

For the first time in years I can look at the DBs on the roster and honestly say they are experienced and talented. What a relief. It took way too long but it's finally time to have high expectations for this position group.

Totally agree! 

35 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:
41 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

For the first time in years I can look at the DBs on the roster and honestly say they are experienced and talented. What a relief. It took way too long but it's finally time to have high expectations for this position group.

Totally agree! 

And young also.  everybody for At least 2 years.  I think Johnson is an OLB now.  stay healthy and these flyin' Hawks will be exciting.

The secondary should be much improved.  It's just that this style of defense puts immense pressure on the dbs.  They are still very young but poses great talent and now have experience and depth!   The few spring practices that I've taken in, jahmere, Harris and hunt have been fantastic.  It would not surprise me to see jahmere and hunt starting.   This is nothing against Harris and carter it's the fact that these two just seem to the "it" factor.  Hunt is a special talent and truly believe he has the skills to succeed at this level.  Both held fbs scholarships which speaks in itself.  If the dbs carry over to regular season play to what they are doing in spring ball I believe the secondary could be one of Unds strengths.  

Speaking of how young the team is and not to look to far ahead..... If they can reload at LB after 2016, 2017 will be a very good season for UND football. Not that I'm not excited for this coming season but whatever 2016 brings will only get that much better for 2017. 

We'll likely find out early in the season against Bowling Green how far the DB's have come along.  I'm glad we play Stony Brook first to hopefully iron out early season wrinkles.  Would be awesome if we could pull the upset against Bowling Green!  Will still need to take care of business against Stony Brook firs though.

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

We'll likely find out early in the season against Bowling Green how far the DB's have come along.  I'm glad we play Stony Brook first to hopefully iron out early season wrinkles.  Would be awesome if we could pull the upset against Bowling Green!  Will still need to take care of business against Stony Brook firs though.

2-1 through the first three games would be ideal.

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

On that one loss, let's make it a quality one.

Exactly, we may be better off losing to Bowling Green than beating them, you know......so we can make sure we have a good quality loss on our resume. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

For sure.  I am assuming Bowling Green will run the same system this year in spite of coaching turnover.  If you've watched them, they snap the ball every 15 seconds on offense.  With our cornerback depth and talent I think we'll have a cover package with 3 corners on the field at the same time, for teams like Bowling Green or for times when teams go pass happy.  We actually needed that last year but were a tad short on 3 corners being ready.  I think Hunt helps that much.  Having Irvin-Sills a whole year in our system helps, too.  Carter hopefully bounces back with his shoulder and Harris should shine.

Having Jawon Johnson a year at safety can only help him in coverage this year as an OLB.  Our LB's got 'used' a little running down the field last year.

Defending that type of offense will be a big test for sure.  In the event we don't come out with a win in that one it will be a good game experience against that type of offense.  We don't play Montana in the regular season this year, but we certainly have to get a lot better defending wide open passing offenses so this will be a good gauge to see where we are at and how much we have to improve.  If we can run the ball successfully and control the clock and limit their offensive possessions, and make a few plays on defense (particularly on 3rd down) we could pull it out.