SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome to the Fighting Sioux Mr. Spirko!

siouxnami

This was rumored not long ago. Great news.

Spirko was tearing up the league not long ago, but as was pointed out to me by someone else maybe the WJC tournament took it's toll on him and he's tired. I'm not too concerned about him. Should be a good pick-up.

Welcome Ratislov!!!!!!!!!

Actually, it's five skaters in plus one goalie.

It breaks down fine. Three senior forwards graduate - Hale, Lundbohm and Palmiscno. Three forward recruits come in - Zajac, Spirko and Kaip. There is no logjam at forward, so no need to list potential departures there.

If the future roster is a little heavy anywhere, it's at defense and goaltending. No defensemen graduate, and two arrive - Radke and Beaverson.

In goal, no one graduates, and one arrives - Lamoreaux.

We don't know what will happen with the NHL and potential early departures, but we do know the current roster is loaded with the kind of top-end talent that doesn't always stay in college four years. If no one leaves early, the roster may be a little heavy next year. However, that will be a one-year price to pay for having a shot at a decent team in 2005-06, when half the roster leaves. Think of the players who will exhaust their eligibility at the end of next season: Bochenski, McMahon, Canady, Massen, Genoway, Fylling, Schneider, Fuher, Jones and Brandt. In addition, Parise and Greene are almost sure to be gone then. UND will need the bodies in 2005; so if one or two of them come in 2004, so they will be ready to step into a major role in 2005, that's fine with me.

I'm sure Blais doesn't EVER want to revisit the 2001-02 season. If he can manage to bring these guys in and get them going in the program next year, knowing that they will be more prominent members of the team in '05-06, great. That is what an elite DI coach is supposed to be able to convince young players to do.

Blais, IMO, has had a resurgence of energy this year. Also, it seems like the whole staff is believing again that UND is the best program in the nation. As well they should be.

It breaks down fine. Three senior forwards graduate - Hale, Lundbohm and Palmiscno. Three forward recruits come in - Zajac, Spirko and Kaip. There is no logjam at forward, so no need to list potential departures there.

If the future roster is a little heavy anywhere, it's at defense and goaltending. No defensemen graduate, and two arrive - Radke and Beaverson.

We don't know what will happen with the NHL and potential early departures, but we do know the current roster is loaded with the kind of top-end talent that doesn't always stay in college four years. If no one leaves early, the roster may be a little heavy next year. However, that will be a one-year price to pay for having a shot at a decent team in 2005-06, when half the roster leaves. Think of the players who will exhaust their eligibility at the end of next season: Bochenski, McMahon, Canady, Massen, Genoway, Fylling, Schneider, Fuher, Jones and Brandt. In addition, Parise and Greene are almost sure to be gone then. UND will need the bodies in 2005; so if one or two of them come in 2004, so they will be ready to step into a major role in 2005, that's fine with me.

Your logic is great except the fact that there are in fact 4 forwards coming. Oshie from Warroad is listed as 2004

I remember Blais commenting earlier this season that there would probably be a recruit from Europe coming to UND soon. However, he did not name names.

This must have been what he meant. Anyone who is good enough to play in the WJC's is welcome on this roster.

Go Sioux.

Oshie is a junior in high school. The newspaper article announcing his commitment quoted Oshie as saying that he would be coming in 2005 or 2006, depending on how rapidly he developed. After watching him skate (on TV) this weekend, I think he'll have to improve that part of his game a lot to be ready for 2005.

Ok, I'm wrong. Thanks for correcting me. I thought he was a senior.

All I know is that Spirko played for his country for the past two years in the WJC, made all star appearances, and is generally regarded as one of hte top forwards in the USHL and, certainly until now, the best unsigned forward.

The questions I have is with his size (He is 5'9" 175, which is rather small, but so was Panzer) and his defensive ability. As much as I love offense, I don't want a Vanek or even a Conner on the Sioux. I am not questining it as in thinking that it is questionable. I'm questioning it as in I actually don't know how well he plays defense because I've never actually seen him play outside of the USHL All Star game.

Oshie is a junior in high school. The newspaper article announcing his commitment quoted Oshie as saying that he would be coming in 2005 or 2006, depending on how rapidly he developed. After watching him skate (on TV) this weekend, I think he'll have to improve that part of his game a lot to be ready for 2005.

It appears that Oshie is a gamer, in looking at the stats from the paper he had something like 76 points playing for Warroad. That isn't too bad.

I have heard alot of discussion on Radke, Spiro, and Zajac, but i haven't heard anything about Kaip. Does anyone have any information on him?

Kaip supposedly had "several" college scholarships to choose from, but decided on UND. He plays for the Notre Dame Hounds. I've got a website where you can see his stats:

www.sjhl.sk.ca/stats

I believe Blais described him as a McMahon-type player.

I have heard alot of discussion on Radke, Spiro, and Zajac, but i haven't heard anything about Kaip. Does anyone have any information on him?

Kaip also has been drafted by the Thrashers(?) but in any case, he's drafted so I'd expect him to be a McMahon/Porter type player.

I couldn't agree more. Looking at the roster the next couple of years, landing Spirko was HUGE!!! Spirko was getting a lot of attention and as the quote I put above, we can expect big things from him. I'm sold that Kaip will be good (better than Prpich) and Zajac will be a superstar. I'll throw Radke in the mix as someone who should be able to step in right away and lead the Sioux in a couple of years.

Without Spirko, this class was Top 10 material. Lamoureux will be one of the top incoming freshman goalies, Zajac should be a top 3 forward in the nation and Radke should be top 10 d-man. Then you throw in Spirko who is also a top 10 forward.

Question:

What freshman class do you think will be better??? 03' or 04'

My opinion is the 04 will be better for this reason:

Offense

This years freshman classes offensive numbers are outstanding. I don't think there is anyway that next years class catches up for this reason. If everyone stays, players like Zajac and Spirko will maybe crack the second line(I see Zajac filling in for Lundbohm). Spirko should be able to play regularely though (it would be fun to see him with Fylling and Genoway). If Blais says that Kaip is better than Prpich, he is probably going to be good, but basically there will be no room at all.

Defense

Smaby has been disappointing this year. Yes, I know he's young, but he always makes me nervous when he's out. Bina has really impressed me, he's always in the right place and doesn't get burned very often. Radke is supposed to be the point man that UND wants on the PP. He was first team all AJHL last year and is tearing that league up again. Beaverson is supposed to be a pretty high draft pick (around 90 last year if he would have opted in). Should be solid, but I don't see Beaverson playing regularly if everyone stays.

Goalie

From the people I've talked to lamoureux is said to be better than all the goalies we have this year! He should get his fair share of chances next year. UND won't have a problem the next few years in net.

Overall Although I don't expect any of the freshman next year to have the impact of Murray, top to bottom I don't see there being too many freshman classes better.

UND's 04' Class will be Top 3 in the Nation II years in a ROW!!!!!

I couldn't agree more. Looking at the roster the next couple of years, landing Spirko was HUGE!!! Spirko was getting a lot of attention and as the quote I put above, we can expect big things from him. I'm sold that Kaip will be good (better than Prpich) and Zajac will be a superstar. I'll throw Radke in the mix as someone who should be able to step in right away and lead the Sioux in a couple of years.

Without Spirko, this class was Top 10 material. Lamoureux will be one of the top incoming freshman goalies, Zajac should be a top 3 forward in the nation and Radke should be top 10 d-man. Then you throw in Spirko who is also a top 10 forward.

Question:

What freshman class do you think will be better??? 03' or 04'

My opinion is the 04 will be better for this reason:

Offense

This years freshman classes offensive numbers are outstanding. I don't think there is anyway that next years class catches up for this reason. If everyone stays, players like Zajac and Spirko will maybe crack the second line(I see Zajac filling in for Lundbohm). Spirko should be able to play regularely though (it would be fun to see him with Fylling and Genoway). If Blais says that Kaip is better than Prpich, he is probably going to be good, but basically there will be no room at all.

Defense

Smaby has been disappointing this year. Yes, I know he's young, but he always makes me nervous when he's out. Bina has really impressed me, he's always in the right place and doesn't get burned very often. Radke is supposed to be the point man that UND wants on the PP. He was first team all AJHL last year and is tearing that league up again. Beaverson is supposed to be a pretty high draft pick (around 90 last year if he would have opted in). Should be solid, but I don't see Beaverson playing regularly if everyone stays.

Goalie

From the people I've talked to lamoureux is said to be better than all the goalies we have this year! He should get his fair share of chances next year. UND won't have a problem the next few years in net.

Overall Although I don't expect any of the freshman next year to have the impact of Murray, top to bottom I don't see there being too many freshman classes better.

UND's 04' Class will be Top 3 in the Nation II years in a ROW!!!!!

I think the last three recruiting classes have been top notch. But I will disagree with you about Smaby.

A disappointment for a dman that came in drafted but that's about it for hype is something of a misnomer. Smaby is a freshman and the victim of a recruiting class that has been superior to expectations (well, with the exception of Murray, who has been exceptional along with the expectations of him).

Has he had bad moments on the ice? Yes. Has he had them lately? No. He has been solid when it mattered. I believe in Smaby and why Blais recruited him right out of high school.

Remember one thing: Blais recruited him. If Blais sees something in him, I'm not going to label him as a disappointment until either A) Blais labels him a disappointment or B) in retrospect after 4 years of UND hockey.

Smaby has hardly been a disappointment, especially as well as he's played down the stretch.

Where did Blais say Kaip was better than Prpich?

I agree with Dagies here. Smaby played well last night as well as the nights following his benching. Smaby plays tough and smart and is learning not to take stupid penalties at the wrong time.

In other notes: Prideonice is pretty humorous about Spirko. Start of the thread was "OMG this guy is good" etc etc. Spirko signs with UND and suddenly no one cares. ;)

Humourous but not unexpected.

A note: I noticed that Spirko isn't listed among CSS listings. Is Spirko past his draft year? If he hasn't and decides to opt in: 1) will it effect his eligibility for college? 2) will he go in as a North American or a European skater?

Edit: Also, Beaverson was mentioned as a highly touted Dman. Not according to CSS. He's slated for mid 7th round (#191).