SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome to the Fighting Sioux Mr. Spirko!

siouxnami

In other notes: Prideonice is pretty humorous about Spirko. Start of the thread was "OMG this guy is good" etc etc. Spirko signs with UND and suddenly no one cares. ;)

Humourous but not unexpected.

A note: I noticed that Spirko isn't listed among CSS listings. Is Spirko past his draft year? If he hasn't and decides to opt in: 1) will it effect his eligibility for college? 2) will he go in as a North American or a European skater?

Edit: Also, Beaverson was mentioned as a highly touted Dman. Not according to CSS. He's slated for mid 7th round (#191).

I love to read POI when someone signs with he Sioux and they have had discussions on that person at POI. It's happened with the last two Sioux recruits Lee and Spirko.

You'll get respones like, Lucia probably thinks someone is better. Then they'll tell you how the Gophers lost interest.

P.S. That doesn't pertain to all Gopher fans.....

All we can give are opinions on Spirko.

Let's ask someone who's played against him in the USHL.

Q: Rank your opponent: Who is the toughest forward ... you have faced this season?

A: Forward would probably be (Rastislav) Spirko (Tri-City).

The question was from Jason Shaner of "Hockey's Future."

The answer was from (former Minnesota Gopher and current) Des Moines Buc forward Mike Erickson on January 6, 2004.

I think Spirko's delay in committing probably contributed to some of the "yawns" from certain Minnesota fans, especially as they did pick up some other quality players in the interim. That said, I'm quite pleased we got him. I think he'll do pretty well over time.

From a preview of this year's Slovakian World Junior Team:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6539

Rastislav Spirko RW 06/21/84 5`9`` 175 R

"Spirko hasn`t been drafted by any NHL team, probably because of his size. He is smallish forward with solid scoring touch. He is very creative player. Last year he was rookie of the year in Slovak Extraleague and now plays in Tri City Storm in USHL. Spirko leads the league with 20 goals in 26 games. He is the key offensive player of this team."

And from a year earlier..

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=5492

"..He may be tiny, but he is a talented offensive forward with great skating and puckhandling ability..."