SiouxSports.com Forum

MN High School Tourny

jloos

Did anyone see Breck play today? I only saw about 15 min, Wheeler looked very impressive. The announcer said he was a +80 for the year. :D He reminds me of Danny Heatley - big, strong, good hands.

Wish I could see Warroad tonight, damn night class. Should be a good matchup in the finals with Warroad and Breck the likely teams. SHould be interesting to see Oshie against some good competition, Moorhead seems to be the only team that shut him down this year.

Get done with class at 8:00, should be able to see some of the game. Wheeler was not the best skater on the ice, should be interesting to see these to go head to head.

Warroad has nobody else committed, Hardwick and another D have been talked about on this site, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Oshie's got great hands, but man ... his skating really, really needs work. Reminds me of money, but his skating isn't as refined.

Orono has been taking it to Warroad going into OT. If they had a more disciplined game, Orono would have Warroad by 3-4 goals.

Warroad loses in OT.

Guess why? You got it, the guy who RAN THE GOALIE NO CALL gets a goal. A stupid stick slash gets called and Hardwick goes in the box.

HOLY BS PP BATMAN!

Wow folks. People are bummed in Warroad and I don't blame them. That ref better get the hell out of town fast.

The Orono team spent more time in Warroad's goal than anywhere else. They played well, but should have been whistled at least twice for running the goalie. That whistle in OT on Hardwick was pure sh*t.

I agree, they did seem to "run the goalie" a few times........but how could you not call either a hook, or a slash on Hardwick?

Much like the OT call against Schutte, the problem isn't the call against Hardwick - it was callable, even in OT. The problem was not calling one the other way within a few seconds of this one. The Orono player just plain ran the goalie; he wasn't pushed into him.

I thought Orono looked like the better team overall and deserved to win.

After watching the whole game, I am going to start thinking of Oshie as a 2006 recruit. It's hard for me to imagine that his skating can reach the WCHA level in just eighteen months. I hope he has a good skating coach and a work ethic to make himself better. His talent with the puck is undeniable and I can see why they think he could be special (nice combination of hands and vision), but he has a ways to go.

After watching the whole game, I am going to start thinking of Oshie as a 2006 recruit. It's hard for me to imagine that his skating can reach the WCHA level in just eighteen months. I hope he has a good skating coach and a work ethic to make himself better. His talent with the puck is undeniable and I can see why they think he could be special (nice combination of hands and vision), but he has a ways to go.

I agree that Oshie's biggest weakness is his skating. A stint in the USHL or a Canadian league would not hurt, as well as some serious work with a skating coach while in HS. He got turned around so many times, especially along the boards, I think he got dizzy. :D Anyway, he's got great hands and a very nice shot. If he works hard, he should be a fine addition to the team.

I may be mistaken but I thought Oshie had verbally committed.

You are correct. The call on Hardwick had to be called - he negated a scoring chance. Sucks to be Hardwick after that game - he had a shot blocked at the point which led to a partial break which led to his penalty which led to the game winner. :( I agree Orono should have been called for running the goalie, can't believe he continued playing after bashing his head against the pipe (helmet was knocked off). It was nice to see Hibbing win, don't think they have the depth to go much further though.

Classiest move I've seen in a long time happened during the handshake line: Warroad coach Cary Eades hands the puck from the GWG to the Orono player who got the goal. I imagine Eades must have fished the puck out of the net specifically to give it to the kid. To think of that when he was probably (justifiably) POed at the outcome showed me a lot. Very, very classy.

Where did Eades play in college again? :(

Classiest move I've seen in a long time happened during the handshake line: Warroad coach Cary Eades hands the puck from the GWG to the Orono player who got the goal. I imagine Eades must have fished the puck out of the net specifically to give it to the kid. To think of that when he was probably (justifiably) POed at the outcome showed me a lot. Very, very classy.

Where did Eades play in college again? :(

I agree with the comments about Oshie. Great goal and stick skills, needs to get those feet going.

Hardwick looked pretty good out there too, like that he's a 4.0 student too. Good skilled puck handler. Looked like a better overall game than Oshie to me, and I'm a expert talent scout. ;)

How the running the goalie wasn't called when it damn near killed the Warroad goalie is beyond me.

Greyeagle, I saw that too, and thought the same thing. Very classy.

Warroad-Orono was a great game. Oshie played really well, so did both goaltenders. Don't be mistaken, Orono is a good team...Metro Alliance baby :(

Today my picks are Centennial (I know the game just got over, but I think they'll win the tourney), Wayzata, Lakeveille, and Moorhead. Albert Lea and Warroad in Class A.

2-0 Centennial, another great game. 2nd goal was an empty-netter. Gorowsky got the GWG. Man, is that kid good. Jack Hillen and RJ Anderson also impressed me.