SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker Candidates...

Let'sGoHawks!

We all know Bucks and Zach are deserving of the award. Who else can be considered favorites? Has anyone seen non-WCHA players they consider contenders? I have seen most WCHA players, along with Boston College players, and I think without a doubt Zach wins the award. He plays so hard both ways, and seems to be a great leader. Remember, stats are just one factor in deciding the Hobey.

I wish I could think without a doubt that Bochenski or Parise will win it but those stupid snobby East Coast people will have a huge say in who wins it. They both have a great chance to be the first Fighting Sioux player to win it since Hrkac.

To be honest, I think it's hard to make a convincing case for anyone this year, including the Sioux players. In the past, nearly every year, a few players have risen above the crowd and demanded Hobey consideration. This year it seems to have not happened.

Of all the contenders, I think Bochenski was in the best position to run away with it. Unfortunately, he seems to have gone cold down the stretch, with just 1-8-9 in the last 11 games. His 9 points in 11 games is certainly solid, but not the kind of run you expect from a Hobey winner down the stretch. The funny part about it is that he has played well, and had a ton of good chances to score goals. He has just been snake-bitten (hard to believe when talking about #7). Hopefully he will get hot as the second season starts.

A few years ago, either Panzer or Ryan Miller would be easy winners this year.

To be honest, I think it's hard to make a convincing case for anyone this year, including the Sioux players. In the past, nearly every year, a few players have risen above the crowd and demanded Hobey consideration. This year it seems to have not happened.

I agree the both Parise and Money really haven't stood out from the crowd, especially as the season wound down. Moreover, the only WCHA player who really stands out, IMO, is Lessard, but not by much. He would help his case if Scotty Sandelin can get his team to Boston. There are alot of very solid players this year, but few who really are well ahead of the pack, especially on a consistent basis. I think this attests to the overall quality of the league, less than any digs at Money, Parise, Vanek, et al.

Had he not been hurt for most of this year, I'd have said, in fact I did say a few months ago, that Ben Eaves should win the Hobey. That Friday night game against the Sioux, the man was a quaterback leading BC's offense around the ice. It's a good thing the Sioux came back and won that game... Too bad they were the first team to knock him out with an injury. ???

Bochenski has fit in as well as any other student athlete in the 3 years he's been in college. Unless someone was filling in the voters with candidate's past indiscretions I don't think they would even know about it.

My guess is Bo was the leader until his "light" spell the l last few weeks) and if he could have kept up the scoring pace he would win. Maybe he still will, who knows?

Bochenski is a heck of a player, and much more than a goal scorer this year. He's played better defense, played on the pk, dropped to block shots, etc. He's a man among boys at times on the ice. He's deserving.

I think that Brady, Drew, Andy, Ryan, Mike, Rory, Colby and all of the Matts have done good. Basically any of them, parise or bochenski.

So as long as they play for the Sioux, right? :lol:

Diggler, yeah, I got the reference, Animal House is one of my favorite movies...I just didn't get why it was said I guess (or did you mean that for the Sign Article thread... ??? )

I think Derek Edwardson (Miami-Ohio) deserves a look as well...Maybe Thmoas Pock (UMass), but he's tailed off worse than an SCCC swoon. Barrett Eghoetz and Jerad Ross (of Niagra and UAH, respectively) get a little consideration, but being in the CHA...I don't see it happening.

I saw a note yesterday when I voted on the standings page that said something to the effect that they were aware of ballot stuffing. Doesn't bode well for the UAH and MTU crowd...

Do you mean this note.....

Note: Attempts will be made to stop ballot-box stuffing. If it is obvious the same person is voting multiple times, and circumventing the rules, votes may be discounted, and users may be removed - at our discretion.

That's been there since the nomination process began. ???