SiouxSports.com Forum

Jake Brandt

Wilbur

I'd just like to start this thread to formally apologize to Mr. Brandt. After losing that game in Wisco I kind of lost confidence in the kid and I deserve to be reprimanded for it. Jake is the starting goaltender for the Sioux for the rest of the way out in my opinion, and can lead this team to the promised land.

Stats his last four games (all on the road)

GAA-1.5

Saves-98

Save percentage-94.2%

Forgive me Jake!!! :p

I think UND has two strong goaltenders to back stop a run to the WCHA Regulars Season Title, A WCHA Final Five and hopefully a NCAA title.

I think we have a strong starter and a strong backup, but we do not have two strong starters for the rest of the season. J Par can start his last game this weekend, but other than that he should be riding the bench.

Can't even blame him for the goal on Saturday since it was deflected. Boy Smaby was pissed, breaking his stick over the goal post.

I couldn't tell for sure, but it looked as if Smaby's stick might have hit Jake in the back of the head on the follow through.

With the exception of the Friday game in Wisconsin, Brandt has played well all season long. And even against the Badgers, I thought Jake was unfairly singled out in what was primarily a team loss. I don't know why anyone should be surprised when he plays well.

The Sioux are very fortunate that they have two very good goalies who have been able to cover for each other all season long. Some teams that have tried to ride one goalie are discovering the disadvantages of that approach.

I definitely believe Jake has solidified the #1 spot. He obviously played very well again this weekend and is showing the consistency he showed end of last year. Good for Jake.

Anyone who thinks Blais has something out for Jake did not see the long bear hug he put on Jake at the end of Saturday's game.

Yes, PCM, it appeared to us that Smaby's follow-through did catch Jake. But we were on the opposite end of the ice so it was hard to tell.

Brandt did great in Duluth, but I have to say that the defense stepped it up in a similar manner. Everyone was solid Matt Greene was a man among boys. Every defensman made outstanding plays. How about the block of a pass out front by a sprawling Bina, possibly saving a goal? I hope this is an indication of things to come as I don't see anyone beating the Sioux with 1 goal.

Jake was definitely the difference this weekend. He should be our horse down the stretch.

I was sitting two rows up...right behind Jake....Smaby's stick did not hit him. Smaby's lucky he didn't get a penalty for that...and punching the glass on the way to the bench.

I met some great Dawg fans.....one student even promised me that if the Sioux swept, he would cheer for the Sioux the rest of the year!!! :p:lol:;):D

The bigger the game, the better Jake plays. Jake was absolutely outstanding at Mariucci this year and at the NHC against some very tough crowds. When you look a the series at Wisconsin it wasn't really a make or break series. Yeah a lot of the blame went on him for losing the first game of that series (I lost my confidence that game, but it wasn't his fault) but you expected the Sioux to have a letdown at one time or another during the year. This weekend I expect Jake to get the nod on Friday night and win a share of the McNaughton cup for the Sioux. If UMD loses on Friday expect to see JPar in the net on Saturday, but if UMD wins, I think Jake has earned his chance to win the cup for them outright. :p

The bigger the game, the better Jake plays. Jake was absolutely outstanding at Mariucci this year and at the NHC against some very tough crowds. When you look a the series at Wisconsin it wasn't really a make or break series. Yeah a lot of the blame went on him for losing the first game of that series (I lost my confidence that game, but it wasn't his fault) but you expected the Sioux to have a letdown at one time or another during the year. This weekend I expect Jake to get the nod on Friday night and win a share of the McNaughton cup for the Sioux. If UMD loses on Friday expect to see JPar in the net on Saturday, but if UMD wins, I think Jake has earned his chance to win the cup for them outright. :p

I hope coach Blais just give the ball to Jake and lets him do his thing. Playing Brandt has proved to be sucessful and if I was the coach I would not mess with sucess.

Jake played VERY well! He is like that, he loves to get psyched up for the "Big Games".........you can generally tell in warmups.......he is very aggressive, and sharp!

Who all noticed when he would come out after each period, and skate to the middle of the UMD ice, and stamp his stick on the bulldog emblem?? The Mascot "Dog" and the LOONEY TOON (or whatever the heck it's called)......tried to stop him from doing it, yet he still found a way to get it done. Just a small mind game I'm sure, but probably something that pumped him up! It seemed to work!

Keep up the great work Jake! Yes, the bear hug after the Saturday game was pretty neat from Blais! Jake was happy, Blais was happy....Lots of Happy Sioux fans in abundance!

Have to add my apologies for doubting Jake in another thread as well. I'm serving up a big heaping helping of crow right now...mmmm...feathery....I think he'll be able to keep his focus now and with J Par riding shotgun - I think we're pretty solid in the net heading to the postseason.

The Mascot "Dog" and the LOONEY TOON (or whatever the heck it's called)

"Maroon Loon" is his name, and don't make fun. I happen to know him and he's a really nice guy (read: got me in for free to several games). :p

From my seat (Ice Level...about 30' behind Jake's left shoulder) it didn't hit him.

I taped the game and watched the replay. Brandt reacts as if Smaby's stick hit him, but it's tough to tell whether it actually did.

Your angle and mine were very, very similar. I was the goal judge on that end.

Kidding. :lol::p

Jake's head moved in a strange way with the swing. He couldn't have seen it coming and have ducked. So why'd his head move? If he didn't get hit he picked the best time ever to drop/hang his head (and get missed).

Luckily, nothing came of it either way.

More importantly, we need to teach Smaby to break sticks down over the crossbar and not across the pipes. ;)

Your angle and mine were very, very similar. I was the goal judge on that end.

Kidding. :lol::p

Jake's head moved in a strange way with the swing. He couldn't have seen it coming and have ducked. So why'd his head move? If he didn't get hit he picked the best time ever to drop/hang his head (and get missed).

Luckily, nothing came of it either way.

More importantly, we need to teach Smaby to break sticks down over the crossbar and not across the pipes. ;)

As I said before we were on the opposite side of the rink but I was watching because I saw Smaby's big wind-up. The stick broke and it looked like it might have caught Jake. Jake dropped down as if he had been hit, and we thought he'd been hurt. But then he got up and played as if nothing had happened so we couldn't tell for sure.

What was Mattso angry about? Looked like that was just one of those goals. It appeared to be a bouncing puck through a ton of traffic. Bad luck.