Sioux at Bulldogs

sioux fan in phoenix

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WDAZ doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the dataflix broadcast

If you know so much, tell me who was in charge of filming the game.

As far as the buffering and everything, of course you wouldn't blame WDAZ. However, I challenge you to prove that it wasn't a WDAZ camera man in control of the camera for dataflix.

Okay, back to the subject. I was fortunate to see the 4th goal just before I left to play sports myself tonight. What a great transition rush on the penalty kill!

Sioux proved something to me tonight. They proved that they are NOT last year's team all over again. They proved that they can recover from a slump against one of the best teams in the country. They proved that they can play on the road.

Great job, Sioux. The MacNaughton WILL NOT BE SKATED AROUND THE DECC this weekend. Mission accomplished. Now, lets go out there and sweep em!

congrats to your squad guys, sounds like they really took it to tDogz. I'm pulling for a tie tonight for you two, just to prolong the agony! :0

AS my guys, I think the perm has hurt more than helped! :blush: If they don't start playing soon, we won't get to square off again in the Final Five! :0

WPoS

Thinking over last night's game, one of the big factors in UND's win was having a fourth line that created scoring opportunities and, at times, outplayed UMD's first line. If the Fabian-Hale-Stafford line continues to play like this, it'll be a big plus heading into the playoffs.

Friday postgame thoughts, from an in-person viewer.

First and foremost, I haven't seen the Sioux pursue the puck that hard since the Panzer-Blake days. With the puck, we had excellent puck support. Without the puck, we pressured Duluth so hard they couldn't take 2 steps without being forced. We hit the body on open ice as well as I've seen all year, against a team with terrific speed, we hit them before they could start moving. Especially in the 3rd period, it was a Thing of Beauty to watch.

I'm not a coach or anything, but I wonder if the aggressiveness of the Sioux forecheck caught Sandy and the Dog coaches by surprise. They may not be used to having teams come into their rink and come after them that hard. (I bet most visiting coaches emphasize keeping numbers behind the puck.) At times, the Sioux forecheck had four guys in deep (above the faceoff dots), and I haven't seen our D pinch that much in 3 years. Frankly, I expect the Dogs to make some adjustments tonight.

Second, and nearly as important, the Entire Roster played hard and played with poise. The difference in performance between the first line and fourth line, first D pair and third D pair was almost imperceptible. Special kudos to Stafford-Hale-Fabian, who hit at least one post maybe two (couldn't tell for sure), and kept the puck 190 feet from Brandt for long stretches of time. Also, Smaby looked like a World Junior candidate last night. As long as he keeps the game simple, he's very effective. Get in the right position, hit/force, move the puck fast.

We played the tiny neutral zone very well. I can recall only 1 or 2 center ice turnovers that resulted in Dog odd man rushes, which is as close to mistake-free as can be expected against a team of Duluth's caliber.

Oddly enough, I thought a couple of the goals we got were a wee bit soft. Clearly, Reichmuth could have stopped Genoway's first goal. And the second goal, while a terrific screen by Bucks in front messed up Reichmuth, was basically a long soft shot.

BUT, we could have easily had 4-5 more goals ... Zach and Brady had their chances, Fuher had 2-3 great chances for a hat, etc etc.

Brandt was strong early when he needed to be. He made a very nice save on a shorthanded chance (Stauffacher?) early in the second period. While the game was close, he was strong. And late in the game, he could just as well have sat in the rocking chair because the Sioux did a tremendous job of keeping the Dogs outside, or better yet, 190 feet from the goal.

The only thing I can think of to improve on is faceoffs, where we lost a few too many. But that's a nitpick on a sterling performance.

Last, I thought D. Shepherd called a good game. Interestingly enough the UMD radio postgame said the same thing.

=====================

At the beginning of the season, I had picked Duluth to win the league title, based on the premise they had the best goaltender, strong senior leadership and good chemistry, plus they are the fastest team in the conference, IMO. Until last night, I was worried I might be right, and I may still be right on that prediction.

HOWEVER, when our entire roster shows up, I think we're better.

=========================

For tonight:

Anybody think Blais will leave the lines intact? :blush:

The Dogs will pay more attention to moving the puck faster before the Sioux pressure gets there, they will bring their centers deeper into the zone, and they will try to create transition opportunities at center ice.

For the Sioux, it would be nice to give UMD a couple fewer powerplays ... and your guess at the goaltender is as good as mine. I'd like to see Brandt get the shot.

GO SIOUX!!

That was a very huge win for the Sioux.  They came in for the first time as the underdog all year and showed they can play a great opponent in a tough atmosphere.

I still don't see how the Sioux can be the underdog in this series .....Ranked #2 nationally and coming into the series they were 3-0 against this team. Every poll has them ranked above UMD...To me that spells favored regardless of the confidence shaking sweep at the hands of UW.

On the subject of UM.....I would have thought they should have opted for shaved heads for christ sake... Perms? that went out in the 80's...even in North Dakota...