SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Supporting Sioux Spirit

Nodakstud

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, did someone actually just say that they had trouble HEARING Katie O'Keefe? I guess I'm too busy cleaning up my drool to actually notice she's talking into a microphone.

While we're re-hashing the good old days of old REA, can we please bring back turkey bowling? :)

I'm tellin' ya, the jumbo-tron is the key. Having seen more Wild games at Xcel Energy Center than Sioux games at REA (at least in the past three years), I can honestly say they put up some pretty funny stuff to get the crowd riled up at the X. Usually, it's movie highlights but sometimes it's simple stuff like flashing "Let's Go Wild". Here are some of the better examples of movie clips shown to inspire the crowd to stand up and cheer:

#1: "Happy Gilmore" (Adam Sandler) just about to tee off when he turns to the crowd and says "C'mon, let's make some noise!"

#2: The scene from "Braveheart" where the Scottish clans are all lined up to face the English in battle. Mel Gibson and his horse run through the group firing them up until they are all screaming loudly.

#3: Scene from early 1980's movie "War Games" where the kid (can't remember his name) is typing into the computer the objective and computer responds back "TO WIN THE GAME."

There are plenty of others that they show, but these are the only three I can think of at the moment. #1 and #2 spearhead the crowd into a frenzy every time they are shown. I can't imagine something similar would be tough to do at REA.

The question is do we want a corporate atmosphere like Xcel OR a collegiate atmosphere like Wisconsin.

I might be the minority here, but I think that playing piped in music and movie clips will only make the crowd mechanical. I believe that when there is no piped in music to fill the dead air then students and fans would eventually learn to come up with creative cheers to fill it, like they do in Wisconsin and somewhat at the old ralph, instead of movie clips and commercials, but unfortunately that pays the bills. Why do we need "Welcome to the Jungle" to start playing before we all cheer in unison?

Movie clips that I have seen used at the Ralph...

When the Gophs are in town, we have seen numerous CaddyShack clips...

The WarGames clip where the computer tells Matthew Broderick what the primary objective is: TO WIN THE GAME!!

The scene from Rudy where the Norte Dame coach is talking to his team about how "no one comes into OUR HOUSE and pushes us around!!"

I don't think I have ever seen the Happy Gilmore clip, but that is a good one for them to use, that's for sure...

Cratter,

"Corporate atmosphere" like Xcel? As opposed to the college-style marble floors and leather seats like the classic barns of old? Puhlease! Like it or not, REA is about as "corporate" as it gets. It's far closer to being a replica of the Xcel Energy Center than it is Mariucci Arena.

"Welcome to the Jungle" isn't just a new fad at REA. As soon as that song came out in about 1988 or 1989, it was being played constantly at the old arena as well. These things can be effective in getting the fans stirred up. How about St Louis and the "bell" after each goal the Blues score? "One...two...three." That's one of the best NHL traditions going. Or what about Trevor Hoffman taking the mound for the San Diego Padres with "Hell's Bells" playing over the loudspeakers? It can help set the tone and start deflating opponents once the crowd gets behind it.

I like some of the ideas just presented and I don't think the casual fan will mind the occasional "suck" in a chant. When f-bombs come out, though, it's a different story. Back in 1998 at the UND/Michigan regional in Yost, a phone high up in the press box could be heard across the entire arena when it rang during quiet times on the ice and TV time-outs. I don't know what the heck the phone was for, but it rang about every 3-4 minutes that night. And every time it rang, the entire arena would go thru this schpeel:

"Phhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooone!"

"Hey Schweitzer (UND's goalie) it's for you...it's your mom and she says..."

"YOU SUCK!"

The first eight times I heard it, I laughed. The next twenty, I wanted to strangle everyone in the student section. But it worked. Trust me, they were in Aaron Schweitzer's head the entire third period. I bet he still has nightmares about those fans.

Another funny story...during last year's University of Cincinnati visit to cross-town rival Xavier (college basketball), things got so out-of-hand that Bob Huggins, the Cincy coach, said if it wasn't such a big thing for the city, he'd cancel the series with Xavier permanently because of the harsh treatment of Cincy players by Xavier fans. Before the Cincy visit this season, the Xavier President and Coach had pleaded with fans to restrain themselves this time around. The first sign that greeted the Cincy players when they walked onto the Xavier court was held up by a fan in the student section. It said:

WELCOME FELLOW SCHOLARS!

Considering Cincy's 0% graduation rate of basketball players over the past four-five years, I found this hilarious. Pretty witty kid.

tboneund:

About your signature, Karl Goehring is 5' 7", or 67 inches, tall.

That means he is 67 times the height of a puck.

Good call, I actually borrowed it from some guy out in Syracuse, I never did the math myself, but the change has been made! I also change the weight since he is now listed as 160lbs. making him about 445 times heavier not 418 as previously stated!:)

I haven't posted on this topic but will simply say the students seem to be getting a raw deal from the university. Based on my experiences at UND I feel that the students are being cheated of an experience and the resulting enviroment can't be beneficial to the school or program.

This standing / sitting policy is garbage and the school, not just the students, should be working toward a real solution. I like many can recall standing entire periods for great Sioux comebacks (Gophers in 1999 comes to mind). If the students do sacrifice seating location I hope that they will at least be able to stand freely. Also are the suites such that the seats could be elevate (i.e. bar stools)? I've only been to the new stadium twice and don't recall.

As for the president and his comments, I will only say that he has handled the situation poorly and does not have the support of this alum. Strong arming students is not a real solution to anything, but this appears to be the plan. I appreciate that RT was more respectful in his response.

On another note it was good to see an entire UND section at the Mankato series. All the banned chants made their way out. And nobody appeared to be injured... The "awefully quiet" chant was priceless. I hope that the SSSS has some success and the result is a better game day experience for students and the home team.

I haven't posted on this topic but will simply say the students seem to be getting a raw deal from the university. Based on my experiences at UND I feel that the students are being cheated of an experience and the resulting enviroment can't be beneficial to the school or program.

First of all I agree that some of the vulgarity should be cleaned up, mainly the use of the F-bomb.

I have often wondered if the recent issues at hockey games, now the vulgarity and previously the standing issue, are just the surface of an underlying problem. That problem being the feeling that student's aren't welcome and the administration doesn't stand up for the students. I agree with you siouxnami. When I graduate in August I'm gone and if UND thinks they will get a cent out of me they are dreaming.

...and they wonder why they can't keep young people in North Dakota.

I was watching the Wild-Predators game tonight...with about 1 minute left in the sencond period you can clearly hear the crowd chant Fernandez, Fernandez, Fernandez, YOU SUCK!...How's that for a corporate/professional atmosphere?! Even though I am a Wild fan it made me happy to hear an entire crowd at a pro-game cheering for their team, or rather taunting the other team in such beautiful unison! :glare:

Maybe someday the same thing might happen at the REA...keep up all the hard work I look forward to cheering the Sioux on at the Michigan Tech series!

Hello All sorry it has been so long I have been really busy with all this, I have talked with reps from REA and they are very interested in ideas that we can give them. So that brings me to my next thought, Monday March 1st at 8pm there will be a Student Forum, its a chance for all you to tell me your ideas in person, and express your thoughts in a constructive place. However, this will not be a Kupchella bash and it will not be a Rodger Thomas bash but I still want to hear your ideas because this is the only way it gets better. All are invited not just students the others have a voice to because this affects you as well. Thank you very much and I hope to see you all on Monday.

Aaron Easton

aeaston@aero.UND.edu

Sorry about that everyone the forum will be in the Union's Lecture Bowl sorry I was writing another e-mail at the same time and I forgot to put it in this post and sorry about the name I was in a hurry I was in class.

Aaron Easton

aeaston@aero.UND.edu