SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Supporting Sioux Spirit

Nodakstud

A group of students gathered tonight on campus at the University of North Dakota to address their concerns with the administration's policy on sportsmanship. As many of you may have noticed, it was rather dead at the Ralph on sat. night. We are hoping to change that. Our goal is to meet with President Kupchella and the athletic staff in hopes we can work out a compromise regarding the atmosphere. However, if he refuses to meet with us (which could happen) we have a plan in place to put a lot of pressure on the forces at be to allow people (not just students) to cheer in a "somewhat" respectful manner. If any of you folks have concerns that you would like to voice, please let them be known on here and I will bring them to the attention of this group. We are not just a bunch of run-of-the-mill kids either, as some prominent students are on our side. All comments will be appreciated.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My major concern is that last time the students "compromised" and tried to clean up the cheers the administration said they would help get the whole crowd into cheering by putting some of the cheers on the big screen and informing the public about when and what to cheer. I do not feel that they have upheld their end of the bargain.

By the way, how might one join this group or support it? If you cannot say in the public forum just send me a private message, I am sure there are many people on here who would like to help in any way possible.

I would like to help the students out any way I can. For example, l can make signs (that cue cheers or encourage support from the other side of the arena, e.g, "Sec. 101, we can't hear you!") or rally hats with appropriate slogans for your group at my own expense. Let me know what I can do to support your effort.

Thank you so much you three who have replied. Your suggestions are very helpful, and I will be sure to bring them to the attention of the group, and the students in general. I think that if we can get 11,000 people cheering together (instead of just the students) then we can make the REA rock much like the days of the old Engelstad. Thank you again for your suggestions, and please feel free to bring more.

Roger Thomas will meet, I have no doubts. And truthfully if Kupchella doesn't want to meet with you, so be it, go on without him. It will only reflect poorly upon him. He generally isn't very involved in sports anyways so while it would be nice for him to be involved, I don't think it is completely neccessary.

Since we have the technological means, how about a pre-game or intermission video "pep rally"? The cheerleaders could be miked and taped doing a cheer or two. (Sorry to say, I can't hear them from my seat halfway up the lower bowl when they're on the ice so I'm hopeful the video will have better sound quality) University Bards or some such chorale could be taped singing "Stand Up & Cheer" or "Fight on Sioux" or appear live. Students could go over the the Ralph and be taped doing the "Sieve" chant with someone explaining beforehand "Why We Sieve the Goalie." Every single weekend, some newbie is asking the person they're with, "What are they saying?" and the experienced fan has to explain why a goalie who can't stop the puck is like a colander. Sad but true--the Ralph sells tickets to some people who don't know the significance of "Sieve."

Maybe if the comprimise doesn't work out we should make a bunch of ribbons and stuff for people to wear. Or buttons or whatever, I'd like to see a button like that sign one guy made. "We sware, because we care." I'd proudly wear that button. :lol:

Is there some kind of website dealing with all the chears that the students yell besides this forum? I think there needs to be one addressed at UND.com or not, maybe even at siouxsports.com. Not many people know about all of our cheers. Some don't even know the lyrics to the beer barrel song. (Like me)

jerseychaser1:

Edited to say: Sorry, I didn't read your post more closely. I thought you were asking whether other schools/teams had sites that featured their cheers. Thus, my comment below. But, upon further review I see that you were suggesting that UND, officially or unofficially, create such a site. I think there is a place where the lyrics to the school songs (alma mater and others) are posted but I don't think there's a "How to Be A Sioux Fan 101" site. I suggested that something could be put together like that ages ago, back when Toby Kvalevog's brother Shane had the first Sioux Hockey message board.

Other teams do have such sites and I'll try to post some links here. What you'll find, however, is that the chants elsewhere are as bad, or worse, profanity-wise than ours. We're not allowed to use that as an excuse not to clean up our own act, however.

Cornell:

www.elynah.com/faithful.html

Nashville Predators:

www.predheds.com/humor

Michigan [Note, the site creator indicates that the most famous C-Ya chant, the one that contained a whole string of bad, bad words was removed. Note, also, however, how often the word "suck" is used]:

www.michiganhockey.net/info/chants.html

A motley collection, some with bad words:

www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=6229

I'm sure there are many others.

I think this is a great effort. You have my support from mpls for what that is worth!

I think there has to be a good way, as YaneA and others have suggested, to use the big board to communicate to the fans, to help get things moving. And that would be an avenue I would pursue if I was involved with this group.

You know what I think would be cool? At critical times during the games (times when they might play welcome to the jungle or something like that) throw up a little spot where Blais says "Come one everybody, the team wants to hear you!" or something like that.

Anyway, use that technology even more (seems like they are getting more adept with it) to get the crowd involved.

It might be a good way to get the crowd involved. In future years it probably wouldn't even be needed.

The cheerleaders would be good embassadors to do a little cheer clinic on before the game. I.e. if there is a new coordinated cheer they'd probably be very cooperative to get on a mike and walk the crowd through it. (Kind of like when they teach you a new song before the church service begins. Hey, Sioux hockey IS a religious experience!)

Anyway, you guys rock for trying.

PCM: Several years ago, some students and I put together a proposal for improving the atmosphere at the old Ralph (yes! during a championship season! at the OLD Ralph!) which we called "Take Back the Ice." We got a meeting with President Baker, Scott Hennen and the former AD, Wanless, among others. One or two of the suggestions we made were put into place for the very next home series then promptly abandoned. What I learned from that experience is the importance of following through. It's not enough to make a change, you have to make the change permanent, if you get what I mean.

Nodakstud: If you think my prior experience would be of any use to your student group, I'm willing to help.

I agree with the meetings: Roger Thomas WILL meet with you. He met with me and I'm less than nobody in the scheme of things on this board or otherwise concerning the seating issue. This issue more directly involves the students, so it would be in his best interest.

I'm not saying to give up on Kupchella, but I wouldn't put my hopes up about meeting with him. He told Pres Baker that he wanted our arena to sound more like Marriucci. I would have told Kupchella that I'll arrange for the Minnesota job application to arrive on his desk the next day. This is more than about profanity, it is about school pride. I have no ambition to be more like the University of Minnesota. It doesn't work like that and I was offended that he thought we should. <= What I'm saying is that, if you do meet with Pres Kupchella, I think it would be best if I was NOT there.

I wish I had better access to those people who were a part of the Farce. I'm curious to know what sorts of chants they used and if any could be modified to be used today.

Also, I think the general rule should be that if it is good enough to be said on the major TV stations (CBS, NBC, ABC, or Fox), it is good enough to be yelled out at the Ralph.

You know what I think would be cool? At critical times during the games (times when they might play welcome to the jungle or something like that) throw up a little spot where Blais says "Come one everybody, the team wants to hear you!" or something like that.

That would be great to see. Although my friend and I have noticed how he hardly ever smiles. Whenever they show him on TV during a game or during the game he looks like he's ticked off. Like he's deep in thought. Maybe he would actually start smiling after that. :lol:

I nominate the Sicatoka to take over scoreboard duties. :lol:

I second that.

When is said group meeting with RT and the others? I'd like to be involved as well.

Commandment IX - Thou shalt not cross the line.

That line is the line of brutality. Look, the players know that heckling/taunting are part of the game. Don't make it personal between you and the players. Remember, they have sticks, you don't.

Did they go to the Denver series? ;)

So if mother's are not fair game...are sisters? :huh: