SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Volleyball Season

Dustin

Before Midco decided to shut down on me for a while, I finally was able to get my first look at the team this year.

Things I noted

-This team still is showing its youth, the 2nd set was the perfect example of this: jump out to a huge lead, and instead of slamming the door hard, MSU was able to come back to make it a semi-competitive set. 

-With that said, said youth has some serious talent.  Very impressed with the freshman Place and Dominguez. 

-Hart has to be the best DS in the Sky, if not top 2-3.  Can get a lot of good, clean digs and get at balls you would think would be sure points.  Gonna miss her next year.

-Moser and Dooley are solid in the middle.  I will enjoy watching them next year

-Sydney has managed to step in as setter and has had some decent success. 

-Overall:  There has been some growth, but there is still some green within this team.  Good start to conference but a stiff test next Saturday at home vs ISU.  I think the team is still 1 year away from being a true contender for the Sky, but if this team gets clicking on all cylinders by November... look out Big Sky tourney.

Before Midco decided to shut down on me for a while, I finally was able to get my first look at the team this year.

Things I noted

-This team still is showing its youth, the 2nd set was the perfect example of this: jump out to a huge lead, and instead of slamming the door hard, MSU was able to come back to make it a semi-competitive set. 

-With that said, said youth has some serious talent.  Very impressed with the freshman Place and Dominguez. 

-Hart has to be the best DS in the Sky, if not top 2-3.  Can get a lot of good, clean digs and get at balls you would think would be sure points.  Gonna miss her next year.

-Moser and Dooley are solid in the middle.  I will enjoy watching them next year

-Sydney has managed to step in as setter and has had some decent success. 

-Overall:  There has been some growth, but there is still some green within this team.  Good start to conference but a stiff test next Saturday at home vs ISU.  I think the team is still 1 year away from being a true contender for the Sky, but if this team gets clicking on all cylinders by November... look out Big Sky tourney.

Agree with a lot you had to say.  Feel our hitting needs to get better if we are going to make some noise this year.  Very soft hits early today vs the powerful hits coming from MSU and I think that will be exposed by ISU next Saturday.

Why aren't Dooley and the team blocking better?  Another year under their belt.  Did losing Robinson, Pioske, and their setter hurt blocking?

I think blocking is down, too.  Unless I'm thinking of Hardee, I thought being tough defensively to generate offense was the goal with Pryor.  We have the tallest lineup we've probably ever had (for sure since I've been watching volleyball - about 7 seasons), so blocking should be up, right?  I like this team, but I have a feeling the South teams are going to put us through a tough stretch where we need to learn some stuff.

I think blocking is down, too.  Unless I'm thinking of Hardee, I thought being tough defensively to generate offense was the goal with Pryor.  We have the tallest lineup we've probably ever had (for sure since I've been watching volleyball - about 7 seasons), so blocking should be up, right?  I like this team, but I have a feeling the South teams are going to put us through a tough stretch where we need to learn some stuf

The stats say that Dooley and the team are down in blocks.  Last year they were among the nation's leaders in blocks.

The oother teams certainly try to avoid Dooley, but last year they know about her blocking ability after the first week.

Would help her numbers and the team if she could stay in the  rotation for serves.
Edited by SiouxVolley

The stats say that Dooley and the team are down in blocks.  Last year they were among the nation's leaders in blocks.

The oother teams certainly try to avoid Dooley, but last year they know about her blocking ability after the first week.

Would help her numbers and the team if she could stay in the  rotation for serves.

help what numbers?  I haven't seen that she can kill out of the back row and she certainly can't block from there.

Biggest home volleyball match of the year and it is being played at almost the same time as the football game.  Great scheduling.  I am sure the team would of  liked to have had  a big crowd.  Probably not going to happen. 

ask hajdu how this scheduling conflict could arise and he will tell you that the hockey team is playing out east on that day and he is not sure exactly what you are talking about...

Edited by SIOUXFAN97
  • Upvote 1

help what numbers?  I haven't seen that she can kill out of the back row and she certainly can't block from there.

Moser serves and still plays front row.  This is not HS rules.  Dooley last year had 1.7 block per set a d now is 1.2.  That is a 25% drop.  The team is also down.  This is not a criticsm, but just wondering why they are not as effective.

A back row player cannot block, so how will rotating through the back help Dooley's stats?

A back row player can attack, so it can help attack and kill stats.

But Dooley's role hasn't changed from last year's to this one.  How come her and the teams blocking is down.  You and other posters refuse to answer it.