SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kelley Announces Retirement.

Let'sGoHawks!

For political positions, I think it's actually undemocratic to serve in office without pay. It becomes a deal where those who can't afford to make the political statement as hurt, making the process even more narrow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-dollar_salary

Lots of famous, non-elected folks on this list.  But that's the entire point…some leaders set out to make a statement, some like to make a mint.  (See what I did there?)  :) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-dollar_salary

Lots of famous, non-elected folks on this list.  But that's the entire point…some leaders set out to make a statement, some like to make a mint.  (See what I did there?)  :) 

A lot of those business types got paid in stock options which can often be worth a whole lot more than any salary they would have been paid.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

What a sheet head Kelley was. I don't know if he intentionally wanted to tear down everything great about UND but he sure did leave his mark. From wussifying the student section, lowering the beer cup sizes, pushing to drop the Sioux logo, and censoring Beer Lady he really wanted to ruin many things that were great about UND. Nobody likes a nanny president who thought what would best for us students and fans as a huge outsider.

i thank god he is no longer the president and he will NEVER BE MISSED.  I think Kennedy has been the best thing to run that office in a long time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 2017. 4. 4. at 10:50 AM, Sioux>Bison said:

What a sheet head Kelley was. I don't know if he intentionally wanted to tear down everything great about UND but he sure did leave his mark. From wussifying the student section, lowering the beer cup sizes, pushing to drop the Sioux logo, and censoring Beer Lady he really wanted to ruin many things that were great about UND. Nobody likes a nanny president who thought what would best for us students and fans as a huge outsider.

i thank god he is no longer the president and he will NEVER BE MISSED.  I think Kennedy has been the best thing to run that office in a long time. 

Even the liberal faculty hated him, of course, they probably hate Kennedy on principal since he was a Republican but Kelly they actually hate because he was incompetent.

8 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This thread is the digital embodiment of the mentally-deranged homeless guy slumped over on the subway who occasionally wakes and erupts with incoherent blather.

Time to lock it down.

Because you don't agree with the content? 

32 minutes ago, MrEdway said:

Because you don't agree with the content? 

Because 15 months after President Kelley's retirement, and after the last on-topic post here, and two presidents later, someone fired off an unprovoked anti-Kelley rant full of unsubstantiated BS which generated no discussion.  And then, a full two months later, someone wants to politicize Kelley's presidency, in flagrant violation of board rules, and which, 15 hours later, has generated no discussion.

Move the **** on.

#shouldabeenamoderator

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Because 15 months after President Kelley's retirement, and after the last on-topic post here, and two presidents later, someone fired off an unprovoked anti-Kelley rant full of unsubstantiated BS which generated no discussion.  And then, a full two months later, someone wants to politicize Kelley's presidency, in flagrant violation of board rules, and which, 15 hours later, has generated no discussion.

Move the **** on.

#shouldabeenamoderator

#sorrydad

On 4/3/2017 at 10:15 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Fact check:

Really? Not quite sure what you mean here, but assuming you're talking about hockey, the trend of student attendance at games was noticeably downward when they finally reconfigured the upper bowl at REA and removed an entire section.  As for football, the students were perennial no-shows and I don't think Kelley had anything to do with that.

REA runs the events, including concessions.  Do a little research.

How about the NCAA, the tribes, the schools who wouldn't schedule UND?  Oh, and there would not have been a playoff game at Alerus this past season otherwise.

Spare me.  Yes, she was an icon, but de-emphasizing alcohol use at college sporting events...what a scandal.  It was a no-brainer and a decision that was entirely understandable.  Be happy the venue allows beer at all, because many don't.  And nobody told the band they couldn't play the beer song (which, frankly, is old and tired).

On balance, it sounds like you're judging the tenure of a president based on (1) alcohol, and (2) your experiences at hockey games.  With those priorities, you should consider a run for the State Board of Higher Education.

Kelly was the main driver behind treating the students like prisoners. I guess no other school in the history of colleges has done a crude chant.

UND was the sole driver of changing the beer sizes because they thought a 32oz beer was too big to drink during intermission. The REA is somewhat in charge but I guarantee you they listen to what the athletic department demands them to change. This policy has now flopped and many students chug 2 -24oz beers, so much for stupid rules to reduce bing drinking...

kelley was in fact to blame with censoring beer grandma. He was the one that rose a fuss because he thought she promoted drinking to the students. If you think showin beer grandma on the scoreboard is detrimental to the student busy you need to get your brain checked. There is nothing as innocent as her.

kelley supported dropping the nickname because he thought it was actually offensive and not because the NCAA left us no choice. He never had the best interest in mind for UND. I really can't think of anything on campus as his memorable legacy. It's night and day when compared to Kennedy. 

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

kelley supported dropping the nickname because he thought it was actually offensive and not because the NCAA left us no choice. 

The settlement with the NCAA that backed UND into a no-win situation was signed in 2007, almost a full year before Kelley started. The nickname battle was lost before he stepped foot on campus even if almost everyone failed to realize our accept it at the time. Whether he actually agreed with it or realized it was a lost battle before most is irrelevant (and conjecture at best), he was looking out what would have been best for UND instead of trying to drag it out as long as humanly possible. Turns out he had that one right. 

• Upvote 1

Loved the Grand Forks Herald link to the Doug Burgum expo'se in Forbes, on being the best entrepreneurial governor, as it answers a lot of questions why there has been so many cuts at UND.  Kennedy appears fully on board.  Other schools not so much.  Burgum is all about making government and education efficient and cheap to make the state more prosperous.  The other day heard the US Postal service doesn't even have its routes mapped out except on paper for helping new employees or temporary fill in.  Fed Ex and UPS would be bankrupt if they followed.  Bakken oil is getting to lower and lower breakeven point due to technology.  Burgum is all about efficient customer service for the people and will be demanding apps for taxpayers and others such that regularly need government service.  Kennedy will do the same for UND.