SiouxSports.com Forum

Our LBs Are Going To Be Thee Strength of The Team Next Season

geaux_sioux

We return every LB that made a major contribution last year and add promising players like Bakker Harmston and Hartley. Every single LB we have can run. We haven't had that in a long time. It should be fun to watch these guys make play after play next season.

It's been a while since the Sack City sign has been busy - bring it on. 

I would say Garret Reineke was a major contributor last year. But other than him, yeah, you're right.

Reineke was a great story. He could have easily given up. He switched positions changed his body and became a playmaker. I think we have guys that can do what he did like Disterhaupt and some other young guys.

So all recruits will wear the redshirt?

As of now, I would imagine so. However, because of the returning players at the LB group, if one of the freshmen LBs plays right away it would mean he's one heck of a player.

I think Troy Hansen will be in the 2-deep.  He's already 20 years old, done with school, and is in the Canadian backwoods working out Rocky style.  At 6'4", reportedly all of 220lbs he could easily walk into camp at 225lbs.  He'd be great to play all special teams and start rotating in at inside backer.  Part of being LBU (Line Backer U) is getting the next man up prepared for the following year when we lose Ratelle and Idowu to graduation.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The linebacking corps will be solid this season.

OLBs

Sr. Dayo Idowu - guy can both get pressure off the edge and play the run; showed that last season by getting sacks, TFLs, and even interceptions off batted passes. Idowu is a great example of what Bubba and Coach Schmidt want from their OLBs. Remember that game-winning tackle on Homecoming against Portland State last season?

Jr. Brian Labat - made a big jump from 2013 to 2014. At almost 230 lbs., he has the frame to be a great run stuffer as well as a pass rusher. Will definitely be the other OLB starter opposite of Idowu. 

So Jake Disterhaupt - As a RFr., Disterhaupt was a solid rotational player last season. He will continue to log good minutes for the defense. His time playing safety helped him a bit, as he had some nice interceptions last season. 

Sr. Javen Butler - Consistently a fan favorite to do big things considering his frame and athleticism, 2015 will be his last shot. I think he will be utilized well by Coach Schmidt and will be put in favorable pass rushing situations so he can get after the QB in 2015. Also a good special teams guy. 

RFr. Dylan Harmston - Athletic kid coming out of high school, I imagine he will see the field this season as a special teams contributor and in a backup OLB role on pass rushing opportunities. 

TRUE FRESHMEN: Mason Bennett, Jade Lawrence, Keelan Poole

Nice incoming class of OLBs coming in; although its possible one of them could have their shirt lifted, I think the returning players provide enough depth to keep that from happening. All three true freshmen are talented though and have a lot of potential. 

ILBs

Sr. WIll Ratelle - best player on UND's defense last season and I see no reason for him not to be that again in 2015. Can stop the run as well as anyone on the team and can even get back and play good coverage. Another 100+ tackle season for him.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1456253/will-ratelle 

Jr. Taj Rich - By rights, Rich had a surprisingly good season in 2014. He will be a crucial piece in both 2015 and 2016. Has the ability to rack up tackles and get after the QB; a real nice asset to have playing alongside Ratelle in Bubba's defense. 

So. Connor O'Brien - Played sparingly last season and will almost certainly continue to get reps spelling Ratelle and/or Rich. Young player with a bright future. 

Jr. Dylan Bakker - Red-shirted last season and will likely see the field in 2015 as a backup ILB and special teams guy. Adds key depth to the ILB position.

RFr. Tahje Hartley - hard to know what Hartley will bring to the table in 2015, but again, he's a guy with potential and hopefully a bright future. 

TRUE FRESHMEN: Troy Hansen, Donnell Rodgers

Both Hansen and Rodgers are athletic guys that are the perfect mold for Bubba's and Schmidt's defense. Same as the OLB freshmen, I don't think Hansen and Rodgers will get their shirt pulled because of the players returning, but they will be crucial pieces down the road. 

Bottom-line: Very solid group of linebackers in 2015 with both experience and talent/athleticism. LBs make Bubba's pressure defense "click", so expectations for the defense should be high in 2015. 

• Upvote 2

The linebacking corps will be solid this season.

OLBs

Sr. Dayo Idowu - guy can both get pressure off the edge and play the run; showed that last season by getting sacks, TFLs, and even interceptions off batted passes. Idowu is a great example of what Bubba and Coach Schmidt want from their OLBs. Remember that game-winning tackle on Homecoming against Portland State last season?

Jr. Brian Labat - made a big jump from 2013 to 2014. At almost 230 lbs., he has the frame to be a great run stuffer as well as a pass rusher. Will definitely be the other OLB starter opposite of Idowu.

So Jake Disterhaupt - As a RFr., Disterhaupt was a solid rotational player last season. He will continue to log good minutes for the defense. His time playing safety helped him a bit, as he had some nice interceptions last season.

Sr. Javen Butler - Consistently a fan favorite to do big things considering his frame and athleticism, 2015 will be his last shot. I think he will be utilized well by Coach Schmidt and will be put in favorable pass rushing situations so he can get after the QB in 2015. Also a good special teams guy.

RFr. Dylan Harmston - Athletic kid coming out of high school, I imagine he will see the field this season as a special teams contributor and in a backup OLB role on pass rushing opportunities.

TRUE FRESHMEN: Mason Bennett, Jade Lawrence, Keelan Poole

Nice incoming class of OLBs coming in; although its possible one of them could have their shirt lifted, I think the returning players provide enough depth to keep that from happening. All three true freshmen are talented though and have a lot of potential.

ILBs

Sr. WIll Ratelle - best player on UND's defense last season and I see no reason for him not to be that again in 2015. Can stop the run as well as anyone on the team and can even get back and play good coverage. Another 100+ tackle season for him.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1456253/will-ratelle

Jr. Taj Rich - By rights, Rich had a surprisingly good season in 2014. He will be a crucial piece in both 2015 and 2016. Has the ability to rack up tackles and get after the QB; a real nice asset to have playing alongside Ratelle in Bubba's defense.

So. Connor O'Brien - Played sparingly last season and will almost certainly continue to get reps spelling Ratelle and/or Rich. Young player with a bright future.

Jr. Dylan Bakker - Red-shirted last season and will likely see the field in 2015 as a backup ILB and special teams guy. Adds key depth to the ILB position.

RFr. Tahje Hartley - hard to know what Hartley will bring to the table in 2015, but again, he's a guy with potential and hopefully a bright future.

TRUE FRESHMEN: Troy Hansen, Donnell Rodgers

Both Hansen and Rodgers are athletic guys that are the perfect mold for Bubba's and Schmidt's defense. Same as the OLB freshmen, I don't think Hansen and Rodgers will get their shirt pulled because of the players returning, but they will be crucial pieces down the road.

Bottom-line: Very solid group of linebackers in 2015 with both experience and talent/athleticism. LBs make Bubba's pressure defense "click", so expectations for the defense should be high in 2015.

I think Disterhaupt will end up being a very good player. He's been working his ass off to transform his body and was already a very good athlete. He showed a few flashes last year that he can be a playmaker. He'll get a little bigger and with that be a better run stopper. His coverage skills are very good.