SiouxSports.com Forum

Projected OL Starters

geaux_sioux

Let's now begin the hypothetical off season talk. Recruiting is over so now we can try and project how good certain players will be and even if a trfr will come in and play right away.

Let's start with the OL. Who do you think will start. Who do you think will rotate in? Will they be improved?

My starters would be Stockwell Anderson Francis Miller Camy. Meehan Steiner Boas and Cox rotating in. Meehan and Steiner rotating in the most. I'm looking for a big time improvement over last year. We will have a big mean and athletic line.

What about Demon Taylor?

And I like the line you have listed, although I would guess Meehan would be RG.

My starters would be Stockwell Anderson Francis Miller Camy. Meehan Steiner Boas and Cox rotating in. Meehan and Steiner rotating in the most. I'm looking for a big time improvement over last year. We will have a big mean and athletic line.

Has Cox bulked up enough to be a viable option? He needs to add about 30-40 pounds from last season IMO.

What about Demon Taylor?

And I like the line you have listed, although I would guess Meehan would be RG.

Not to quote myself, but has anyone heard anything about Demon?  I know he had an FBS offer or two last year, as well as a couple MVFC ones.  Wondering how he's developing as I remember being pretty excited about him.

Surprised Boas hasn't been mentioned. Didn't he start every game at center this year?  Is everyone else projected to improve that much that he'll be displaced?  I know that Francis was pushing him pretty good during the year but they didn't feel it was worth pulling his redshirt.  I'd be surprised if he's at least not in the rotation but I'll defer to others who know the OL positions better than I do.

Surprised Boas hasn't been mentioned. Didn't he start every game at center this year? Is everyone else projected to improve that much that he'll be displaced? I know that Francis was pushing him pretty good during the year but they didn't feel it was worth pulling his redshirt. I'd be surprised if he's at least not in the rotation but I'll defer to others who know the OL positions better than I do.

He was a liability last year and just doesn't seem to have the feet. Maybe add him in a jumbo set for an extra run blocker or something.

• 4 weeks later...

The starting O-Line is very far from being settled.  As someone did elude to Francis did, or needs to have a little procedure on his knee.  The freshman from Manitoba might be given a shot given how he played in the All Star US vs. Canada game.  (The US team was pretty confident they loaded up the roster with more talent than Canada could handle, they were wrong).  With any of my comments, I try to add what I can without breaking the 'bro code' with the guys I talk to.  If you know someone on the O-Line, believe me the starting spots are unsettled, so keep up the hard work fellas.  Other than Cox, numerous other guys were mentioned as well for working their tails off, but Cox and 1 other guy(totally forgot who) were said to be having 'breakout' years, putting themselves in contention for the starting line-up.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the OL shakes out this spring.  Which younger players made the most improvements?  Will Camy step in and be the bulldozer that he looks like?  Will Stockwell be healthy enough (and talented enough, for that matter) to take over the LT spot for the next three years?  Will the returning starters get pushed and in some cases surpassed by the youngins?  And, once we get the True Freshmen on campus, will any of them push for time and get their shirt pulled?  Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

My take on the O-line. Meehan at RT. Anderson at LG. Stockwell at LT If he is healed from his hernia by the start of the season. If not then Cox at LT. Everything else is up for grabs.

This O-line will not resemble last years. Unfortunately there are some health issues that will effect some would be impact players. Knauf is the real deal, a lot of respect.

My take on the O-line. Meehan at RT. Anderson at LG. Stockwell at LT If he is healed from his hernia by the start of the season. If not then Cox at LT. Everything else is up for grabs.

This O-line will not resemble last years. Unfortunately there are some health issues that will effect some would be impact players. Knauf is the real deal, a lot of respect.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the injuries now are not expected to be an issue this fall??? 

It would be a luxury to have 7-8 hogs ready to go this fall.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the injuries now are not expected to be an issue this fall???

It would be a luxury to have 7-8 hogs ready to go this fall.

Barring spring ball and fall camp injuries, that should be the case.

The offensive line will be better this season relative to last season, really no matter what. A year training with the mindset of being a physical smash mouth team should help get the hogs ready for a physical, grind it out offensive year. Expect a lot of Arrington, Olivera, and Norberg right up the gut taking it right at the defense.

OK, assuming you folks are right and there are seven or eight "big mean uglies" up front that enjoy pushing defenses down the field, do we have TE/FB support to go really, really ugly with a 22 or 13 package and just plain tip the hand to the defense that run is coming and still get four yards. 

I know the XBox crowd loves "chuck the pigskin"; personally, I enjoy four yards, a cloud of dust, and seeing one of their defenders going off holding a shoulder. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. 

I think this o-line is best served with Meehan down at right guard, assuming you have 2 solid tackles in place between Stockwell, Cox and Camy.  That would be ideal I think as I believe Meehan's best natural fit is at guard.  It's nice to have that flexibility though. 

It's also possible and maybe even likely that a freshman hog jumps out in fall camp and is on the 2 deep.

I really like how the mentality and makeup of the offensive line is coming along under Bubba, Rudolph and Knauf.

OK, assuming you folks are right and there are seven or eight "big mean uglies" up front that enjoy pushing defenses down the field, do we have TE/FB support to go really, really ugly with a 22 or 13 package and just plain tip the hand to the defense that run is coming and still get four yards.

I know the XBox crowd loves "chuck the pigskin"; personally, I enjoy four yards, a cloud of dust, and seeing one of their defenders going off holding a shoulder. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Having an athlete like Iverson at FB is a nice wildcard to have. He had the best catch of the year against UNC last season. He's also a damn monster.

I'm also very interested to see how our TEs end up. I hope Ruhe can get back to full speed as he looked like a nice asset as only a FR. Throw in Adler Matheson and the fr from Florida and we have nice pass catchers and blockers with length.

Thanks, but please note I stand by my prior statements and positions:

Get that offensive line to start this fall where they ended last season and then get better from there.

If we have to play Meehan or Anderson at tackle it won't be improved. They're both guards. They can slide out but lack the foot speed. If they're at guard I think we're in good shape.

All good comments and great to hear that the OL is developing so quickly.  I have been impressed so far with what the coaches have appeared to do so quickly with the current OL roster.  I also believe the coaches are still trying to determine who fits best in which positions.  This is the time to analyze that and see how it all looks during spring ball.  I thought Meehan did a good job at T but agree that G is probably a better fit.  Can't wait for April 25th.

Having an athlete like Iverson at FB is a nice wildcard to have. He had the best catch of the year against UNC last season. He's also a damn monster.

I'm also very interested to see how our TEs end up. I hope Ruhe can get back to full speed as he looked like a nice asset as only a FR. Throw in Adler Matheson and the fr from Florida and we have nice pass catchers and blockers with length.

Has anybody else heard that Iverson might be out for the beginning of the season?