SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU to move to FBS with an invite from the Sun Belch?

SiouxVolley

I've written before that NDSU getting an FBS invite from a conference is a miniscule possibility.  Fargo's remoteness and low number of TV eyeballs make NDSU very unattractive.  Of course, a Big Sky FBS conference would want NDSU, as then the conference could more easily sell a Minneapolis bowl to potential sponsors, but NDSU and their fans absolutely do not want any part of it, especially because it would mean reuniting with UND.  Conferences like the MAC, MWC, CUSA, and American wouldn't even answer phone calls from Bresciani.   But one conference, the Sun Belt, might entertain offers if it doesn't get their first picks.

The Sun Belt is at eleven FBS members, but Idaho and maybe NMSU might get dropped next year.  Ideally, the Sun Belt wants three schools signed up next year so it can have a conference championship game on ESPN and make some bucks.  The G5 can have up to 12 members to share in the college football playoffs, where each school would make a cool million from it.  CUSA actually is penalized, as its 14 members will have to share less than a full share because it has too many members.  So the Sun Belt expanding would result in new members getting a full share (without harming the others) and also allow it to have a CCG, which would bring in more bucks.  

Sun Belt candidates would be:

JMU = which considers the league to be academically inferior.  Would go to CUSA, but the Sun Belt is beneath it 

Liberty - which the Sun Belt does not want to take because of religious issues

E Kentucky - which has done everything right in upgrading its stadium and athletics

Mo St - has said no in the past.  Doesn't want to leave the MVC, but thinks of itself as a CUSA school.

NMSU - has been rejected because the eastern schools don't want to travel that far

Idaho - almost certainly won't get an extension because of distance

UMass - UMass does not want to associate with the academically weak Sun Belt, it would weaken an already weak football program and their fans definitely want independence instead

Sam Houston, Lamar, Jacksonville St - The Sun Belt isn't interested

NDSU - has the stadium to go FBS now, might be enticed if they paid other teams a travel subsidy. Wouldn't have to leave the Slummit and pay a million exit fees, as the Sun Belt wouldn't want its Olympic sports.  The MVFC slapped on exit fee on NDSU if they left for the Big Sky, but have now stayed in long enough.  Would be able to set the pace again ahead of UND and even SDSU in the bid to go FBS.  Might even consider travel fees for FB only.

Youngstown St - A very poor academic school, but now has Jim Tressel as its President.  Wouldn't have to leave the Horizon.  Tressel would want an upgrade to FBS in my view.

Maybe there are some others in the south like UTC or Coastal Carolina who could make the move up, but they haven't expressed interest in FBS.

If Bresciani pulls a rabbit out his hat, NDSU could very well do this.  They'd probably have to add a women's sport for Title IX concerns.  If it became known that the Big Sky was the only FBS option, Teammakers would put their pennies together, as they absolutely have to get to FBS before UND.  Its do or die for most of them.  NDSU could get a two year head start of FBS, and even dominate regional recruiting more.  With no G5 team in Minn or Wisc, a lot more talent could go there way the first few years.  Once UND and or SDSU go FBS, that could change.  Would a Midwest school benefit long term playing a bunch of southereastern teams.  Would be a huge gamble by NDSU.

I think NDSU has about a 10% chance of getting an invite as early as next spring.  If either MO St says no again or if NMSU is rejected again, NDSU might get an FBS opportunity.

I've written before that NDSU getting an FBS invite from a conference is a miniscule possibility.  Fargo's remoteness and low number of TV eyeballs make NDSU very unattractive.  Of course, a Big Sky FBS conference would want NDSU, as then the conference could more easily sell a Minneapolis bowl to potential sponsors, but NDSU and their fans absolutely do not want any part of it, especially because it would mean reuniting with UND.  Conferences like the MAC, MWC, CUSA, and American wouldn't even answer phone calls from Bresciani.   But one conference, the Sun Belt, might entertain offers if it doesn't get their first picks.

The Sun Belt is at eleven FBS members, but Idaho and maybe NMSU might get dropped next year.  Ideally, the Sun Belt wants three schools signed up next year so it can have a conference championship game on ESPN and make some bucks.  The G5 can have up to 12 members to share in the college football playoffs, where each school would make a cool million from it.  CUSA actually is penalized, as its 14 members will have to share less than a full share because it has too many members.  So the Sun Belt expanding would result in new members getting a full share (without harming the others) and also allow it to have a CCG, which would bring in more bucks.  

Sun Belt candidates would be:

JMU = which considers the league to be academically inferior.  Would go to CUSA, but the Sun Belt is beneath it 

Liberty - which the Sun Belt does not want to take because of religious issues

E Kentucky - which has done everything right in upgrading its stadium and athletics

Mo St - has said no in the past.  Doesn't want to leave the MVC, but thinks of itself as a CUSA school.

NMSU - has been rejected because the eastern schools don't want to travel that far

Idaho - almost certainly won't get an extension because of distance

UMass - UMass does not want to associate with the academically weak Sun Belt, it would weaken an already weak football program and their fans definitely want independence instead

Sam Houston, Lamar, Jacksonville St - The Sun Belt isn't interested

NDSU - has the stadium to go FBS now, might be enticed if they paid other teams a travel subsidy. Wouldn't have to leave the Slummit and pay a million exit fees, as the Sun Belt wouldn't want its Olympic sports.  The MVFC slapped on exit fee on NDSU if they left for the Big Sky, but have now stayed in long enough.  Would be able to set the pace again ahead of UND and even SDSU in the bid to go FBS.  Might even consider travel fees for FB only.

Youngstown St - A very poor academic school, but now has Jim Tressel as its President.  Wouldn't have to leave the Horizon.  Tressel would want an upgrade to FBS in my view.

Maybe there are some others in the south like UTC or Coastal Carolina who could make the move up, but they haven't expressed interest in FBS.

If Bresciani pulls a rabbit out his hat, NDSU could very well do this.  They'd probably have to add a women's sport for Title IX concerns.  If it became known that the Big Sky was the only FBS option, Teammakers would put their pennies together, as they absolutely have to get to FBS before UND.  Its do or die for most of them.  NDSU could get a two year head start of FBS, and even dominate regional recruiting more.  With no G5 team in Minn or Wisc, a lot more talent could go there way the first few years.  Once UND and or SDSU go FBS, that could change.  Would a Midwest school benefit long term playing a bunch of southereastern teams.  Would be a huge gamble by NDSU.

I think NDSU has about a 10% chance of getting an invite as early as next spring.  If either MO St says no again or if NMSU is rejected again, NDSU might get an FBS opportunity.

If NDSU went FBS wouldn't they have to add more sports especially on the women's side? A lot of $$$ would need to be raised, and the Fargodome would end up being the Kibbie Dome 2.0 down the road. I don't see Fargo spending money on a new dome when there is still flood talks going on every year. Look how long it took the Bisons to raise money for the SHAC, and that price tag is not close enough to the millions needed in scholarships at the FBS level. Like Kirk Herbstreit said on gameday, why would NDSU leave the playoffs and a NC, to play in the Motor City Bowl if they joined a conference like the MAC. NDSU would be Idaho 2.0 with geography as their enemy if they joined the Sun Belt.  It would be interesting if UND could raise enough $$$ to go the FBS route when that time comes. Not only would $$$ be an obstacle, but our dome would be another. The lease is up in 2019 so maybe a remodel of Memorial Stadium to say 25k would be a green light to the FBS? But that talk is still a long time out.   

I thought the buyouts were changed recently for the Summit and MVFC. Am I mistaken? 

The exit fee from the Summit was recently raised from $250K to $1M.  The Summit and the MVFC imposted a special $500 k exit fee on NDSU and SDSU if they left within 5 years of joining.  Those have expired.  The MVC doesn't have any exit fees and that probably applies to the MVFC now too.

If NDSU went FBS wouldn't they have to add more sports especially on the women's side? A lot of $$$ would need to be raised, and the Fargodome would end up being the Kibbie Dome 2.0 down the road. I don't see Fargo spending money on a new dome when there is still flood talks going on every year. Look how long it took the Bisons to raise money for the SHAC, and that price tag is not close enough to the millions needed in scholarships at the FBS level. Like Kirk Herbstreit said on gameday, why would NDSU leave the playoffs and a NC, to play in the Motor City Bowl if they joined a conference like the MAC. NDSU would be Idaho 2.0 with geography as their enemy if they joined the Sun Belt.  It would be interesting if UND could raise enough $$$ to go the FBS route when that time comes. Not only would $$$ be an obstacle, but our dome would be another. The lease is up in 2019 so maybe a remodel of Memorial Stadium to say 25k would be a green light to the FBS? But that talk is still a long time out.   

Bisonville talks big about a new stadium, but that was to get into the MWC, which will never happen.  The Fargodome is adequate for the Sun Belt.  Yeah, they probably have to add women's sports.  Maybe they go with women's wrestling.  Add some mud and a few pigs and it would be a big attraction for NDSU.

The Sun Belt would be very leary of granting FBS status to FCS schools unless they had a long term commitment.    The Sun Belt would probably demand a 10 year commitment, a $500 k travel allowance annually, and a big fat exit fee of a million or more if NDSU left before the tens years was up.  NDSU could stay in the Slummit though, as Sun Belt teams would not want to travel to Fargo for soccer and volleyball.

The Sun Belt probably adds Eastern Kentucky as a full member, re-signs NMSU as an associate football member, which means it has one more slot.  Mo St is probably working with Wichita St to get into the American or CUSA, same with JMU and Va Commonwealth.  Doubt MO St or JMU come aboard, so to get to 12 if might come down to a bidding war between NDSU and Youngstown St.  Whichever comes with a better deal get in the Sun Belt for football.  The Sun Belt already has two non-football members in UTA and UALR, so its not like they have to have full members.  The way, both basketball and football and 12 members, with two football affiliates.

Bisonville talks big about a new stadium, but that was to get into the MWC, which will never happen.  The Fargodome is adequate for the Sun Belt.  Yeah, they probably have to add women's sports.  Maybe they go with women's wrestling.  Add some mud and a few pigs and it would be a big attraction for NDSU.

The Sun Belt would be very leary of granting FBS status to FCS schools unless they had a long term commitment.    The Sun Belt would probably demand a 10 year commitment, a $500 k travel allowance annually, and a big fat exit fee of a million or more if NDSU left before the tens years was up.  NDSU could stay in the Slummit though, as Sun Belt teams would not want to travel to Fargo for soccer and volleyball.

The Sun Belt probably adds Eastern Kentucky as a full member, re-signs NMSU as an associate football member, which means it has one more slot.  Mo St is probably working with Wichita St to get into the American or CUSA, same with JMU and Va Commonwealth.  Doubt MO St or JMU come aboard, so to get to 12 if might come down to a bidding war between NDSU and Youngstown St.  Whichever comes with a better deal get in the Sun Belt for football.  The Sun Belt already has two non-football members in UTA and UALR, so its not like they have to have full members.  The way, both basketball and football and 12 members, with two football affiliates.

Anything's possible.  If NDSU wins a 4th championship an offer like this might come.   Not that I'd be super excited about football in the Sunbelt, but it would open the door for football games to continue vs. the B1G and B12 which appear to be drying up.   Would also bring in home games vs. MAC, MWC teams which would be petty cool.  Reuniting in a FB conf with App and GSo wouldn't be terrible, fans would have some knowledge of these teams.  Maybe one team from the group of IL State, MO State, Youngstown, UNI or SDSU would come along for the ride with NDSU.

If FBS football would happen, would I rather play FBS football in Big Sky with full conference membership there, or go the Summit/Sunbelt option?   Pretty easy, I'd take the Sunbelt/Summit over a full conference of Idaho type teams.  Better basketball, less travel for olymipic sports, and better respected FB.  The SBC doesn't garner a lot of respect, but an FBS Big Sky would be a disaster of a league. (see Idaho's current position in the SBC standings)

I would love if NDSU went to the Sun Belt over the Big Sky. Maybe hard core bison fans would like to play Appy St and Ga So, but most the casual fans would think WTF? Idaho is a lot better school.and has more resources than any of the Sun Belt schools. They just need a regional conference that their state can relate to.

When NDSU finally comes to the realization that the Big Sky is best for it, the Big Sky should require Teammakers to write a two page essay on why it's the best fit for NDSU as a condition of getting in.

If NDSU goes to the Sun Belt, that would be a huge deal.  If NDSU wants to go FBS, the Sun Belt would be a vastly superior option than the Big Sky hypothetical you talk about.  The Sun Belt is actually FBS and will be continue to be FBS.  The Big Sky is FCS with no guarantee of anything beyond that.  Your Big Sky FBS theory is, at best, a long shot.  Not only do we not know whether the NCAA would allow it, we don't even know if any of the Big Sky Presidents even want to try to do it.  If NDSU wants to go FBS, it makes zero sense to wait around for the Big Sky.

I think NDSU's casual fans would be very happy with a Sun Belt schedule and all the extra benefits in non-conference scheduling that would go along with being an FBS school.  With as much as you dislike NDSU, I'm not sure why would "love it" if NDSU went to the Sun Belt.  If NDSU is able to pull this off, they would leave UND in the dust for another generation.    

• Upvote 1

If NDSU goes to the Sun Belt, that would be a huge deal. If NDSU wants to go FBS, the Sun Belt would be a vastly superior option than the Big Sky hypothetical you talk about. The Sun Belt is actually FBS and will be continue to be FBS. The Big Sky is FCS with no guarantee of anything beyond that. Your Big Sky FBS theory is, at best, a long shot. Not only do we not know whether the NCAA would allow it, we don't even know if any of the Big Sky Presidents even want to try to do it. If NDSU wants to go FBS, it makes zero sense to wait around for the Big Sky.

I think NDSU's casual fans would be very happy with a Sun Belt schedule and all the extra benefits in non-conference scheduling that would go along with being an FBS school. With as much as you dislike NDSU, I'm not sure why would "love it" if NDSU went to the Sun Belt. If NDSU is able to pull this off, they would leave UND in the dust for another generation.

I think NDSU, its administration, and its fans would be wise to listen to Kirk Herbstreit and his words from GameDay a few weeks ago. Going FBS for the once-every-six-year chance to play in the Meineke Car Care Bowl and being just another small-time FBS should would be a huge mistake.
  • Upvote 1

I think NDSU, its administration, and its fans would be wise to listen to Kirk Herbstreit and his words from GameDay a few weeks ago. Going FBS for the once-every-six-year chance to play in the Meineke Car Care Bowl and being just another small-time FBS should would be a huge mistake.

I think Herby is somewhat wrong. If NDSU gets the right opportunity they should go, if not they should stay. I am not sure if the Sun Belt is the right opportunity, I guess though if it did happen the other sports could stay in the Summit which would keep costs down. 

A major issue looming for NDSU football is the fact that the program can not find FBS opponents to play them. That will hurt recruiting, exposure and revenue if it doesn't change. 

If NDSU goes to the Sun Belt, that would be a huge deal.  If NDSU wants to go FBS, the Sun Belt would be a vastly superior option than the Big Sky hypothetical you talk about.  The Sun Belt is actually FBS and will be continue to be FBS.  The Big Sky is FCS with no guarantee of anything beyond that.  Your Big Sky FBS theory is, at best, a long shot.  Not only do we not know whether the NCAA would allow it, we don't even know if any of the Big Sky Presidents even want to try to do it.  If NDSU wants to go FBS, it makes zero sense to wait around for the Big Sky.

I think NDSU's casual fans would be very happy with a Sun Belt schedule and all the extra benefits in non-conference scheduling that would go along with being an FBS school.  With as much as you dislike NDSU, I'm not sure why would "love it" if NDSU went to the Sun Belt.  If NDSU is able to pull this off, they would leave UND in the dust for another generation.    

Facility wise the Fargodome would rival the Kibbie Dome as the smallest not only in the SB but in the FBS. Kibbie holds 16,000 while the Fargodome holds 19k. The biggest stadium in the SB is the Georgia Dome but if you don't include an NFL stadium its South Alabama at 40,646. The closest member to NDSU is Arkansas State 984 miles, Idaho is 1200 miles from Fargo. Talk about an island.   Now NDSU if they went to the MAC would be a lot closer. 595 from DeKalb (NIU).  So travel wise MAC is better than SB. Would anyone go with NDSU? SDSU, UND, USD?  USD no, UND (maybe if they moved out of the Alerus), and SDSU may have problems with the SDBOR.

Going FBS is more than likely a terrible idea for NDSU. Just ask Appalachian state. I'm sure their fans are really loving a 2-5 start and games vs. Campbell, South Alabama, Ga. Southern, and many other exciting teams.

Related, see App. State appear as the #3 team on last week's "Bottom 10" on ESPN

IMO - A big part of what makes college football great are the conference rivalries developed over years of play. Jumping to FBS within a decade of moving from D-II to FCS would be bad enough; but that move would also be followed by years of poor results, diminished attendance, and eventually, dropping back down to FCS. (or whatever exists at that point in time)

Being a top-tier FCS team is that NDSU needs to work on continuing to be. Recruits aren't going to give up on being a backup at a B1G school to start at a bottom-feeder. Recruits that leave bigger programs for NDSU are doing it because they want to win. Eliminate the winning by moving to FBS, the talent will disappear.

Facility wise the Fargodome would rival the Kibbie Dome as the smallest not only in the SB but in the FBS. Kibbie holds 16,000 while the Fargodome holds 19k. The biggest stadium in the SB is the Georgia Dome but if you don't include an NFL stadium its South Alabama at 40,646. The closest member to NDSU is Arkansas State 984 miles, Idaho is 1200 miles from Fargo. Talk about an island.   Now NDSU if they went to the MAC would be a lot closer. 595 from DeKalb (NIU).  So travel wise MAC is better than SB. Would anyone go with NDSU? SDSU, UND, USD?  USD no, UND (maybe if they moved out of the Alerus), and SDSU may have problems with the SDBOR.

I'm sure NDSU would love to get in the MAC.  But I don't think the MAC is a possibility for any of the schools you mentioned.  

Being on an island for football is not that big of deal.  We're only talking about four conference road games a year.  UND has to fly to all of its conference road games.  It wouldn't be all that much different with NDSU in the Sun Belt. 

Going FBS is more than likely a terrible idea for NDSU. Just ask Appalachian state. I'm sure their fans are really loving a 2-5 start and games vs. Campbell, South Alabama, Ga. Southern, and many other exciting teams.

Related, see App. State appear as the #3 team on last week's "Bottom 10" on ESPN

IMO - A big part of what makes college football great are the conference rivalries developed over years of play. Jumping to FBS within a decade of moving from D-II to FCS would be bad enough; but that move would also be followed by years of poor results, diminished attendance, and eventually, dropping back down to FCS. (or whatever exists at that point in time)

Being a top-tier FCS team is that NDSU needs to work on continuing to be. Recruits aren't going to give up on being a backup at a B1G school to start at a bottom-feeder. Recruits that leave bigger programs for NDSU are doing it because they want to win. Eliminate the winning by moving to FBS, the talent will disappear.

A lot of people made the same predictions when NDSU moved from DII to DI-AA.  

I don't know if NDSU would be able to make the transition as well this time, but I wouldn't bet against them.  

• Upvote 2

I'm sure NDSU would love to get in the MAC.  But I don't think the MAC is a possibility for any of the schools you mentioned.  

Being on an island for football is not that big of deal.  We're only talking about four conference road games a year.  UND has to fly to all of its conference road games.  It wouldn't be all that much different with NDSU in the Sun Belt. 

Right now NDSU buses to USD and SDSU, that is it. So yeah things wouldn't change much. 

Huge mistake if they move now. Not saying in the future it wouldn't be a good idea. It needs to be the right situation and the right time for the move. Moving up just to move up would be a horrible idea. Their transition from D-II to FCS was succesful because of timing. They were the first to go and got a jump on everyone else and was able to pick up some great regional talent cause of the terrible job Brewster was doing in recruiting. They slid into a conference that fit them perfectly. Not that it wasn't rough the first couple years. The Coach obviously had a lot to do with it as well. If they left and then failed it would be horrible for the program.

I was thinking if NDSU became full members not just affiliates.

I am sure Bison fans love the NC at this level but if they move up and go undefeated there is no way they play for one. It will be just a bowl game. Which is cool to play and win it but in the end its just a bowl game. Most fans don't remember who won last years non big (Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Rose, etc.) bowl games.   If it was UND I would want them to move up "only" if there was a shot at a NC through a playoff. Thats why fans would love to see a split and let the P5 do their thing and have the g5 conferences do their thing. 

IMO - A big part of what makes college football great are the conference rivalries developed over years of play.

Ummm...Georgia Southern has actually been one of Appalachian State's long-time rivals...

Ummm...Georgia Southern has actually been one of Appalachian State's long-time rivals...

Thank you for picking out my bad example. How excited would NDSU fans be to play them? Making a road trip to Georgia in your fan bus is bound to be just as fun as a road trip to Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Etc.

Going to FBS in a conference with regional ties would be one thing. Going FBS in a conference with no familiar foes and no teams remotely close would be a terrible idea for NDSU.

Thank you for picking out my bad example. How excited would NDSU fans be to play them? Making a road trip to Georgia in your fan bus is bound to be just as fun as a road trip to Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Etc.

Going to FBS in a conference with regional ties would be one thing. Going FBS in a conference with no familiar foes and no teams remotely close would be a terrible idea for NDSU.

I get what you are saying but GSU was probably the worst Sun Belt team you could have picked since we kind of have a long distance love affair with them. They came to the dome twice in the playoffs, Bison fans would love to play GSU every year. The others probably not so much.