SiouxSports.com Forum

anyone planning to go see OReilly & Miller

Fetch

My son (he's 12) got his ID at the dmv for free.

And many states charge for them. But it cost money to get there and money to get the needed documents they require. Also many people do not have the right papers to get one. What even is the objective of requiring an id? Voter fraud? What voter fraud? You mean where tea party people break into a court house in the middle of the night? How would this prevent voter fraud through absentee ballots? It has nothing to do with fraud. You know many people would say that the US Customs and Border Patrol are a tyranny form of government control interfering with free commerce and movement. I have a god given right to travel anywhere I want without the US Customs Bureau interfering with my travels. They have no right to check my luggage or automobile when crossing the border into the US. They also do not have the right to force me to prove my citizenship. That is a violation of my Fourth Amendment rights.

And many states charge for them. But it cost money to get there and money to get the needed documents they require. Also many people do not have the right papers to get one.

1. ND the first one is free

2. it costs money to get to a store to buy smokes and beer

3, documents (birth certificate) can't get it, order it from Bismarck for 8 bucks. I know its money but thats roughly 2 packs of smokes

Fraud is out there. Wouldn't you want someone to check your id if you pay by check? If not send me a blank check. I could forge your name and rack up a nice bill. If you are so anti government...there's the border.

Uses the IRS? That was Nixon.

...conveniently overlooking Bobby Kennedy secretly wiretapping some news media folks, members of Congress, and others...while big brother JFK, in 1961, created the IRS "strike force," the group in charge of rooting out enemies of the President.

What even is the objective of requiring an id? Voter fraud? What voter fraud? You mean where tea party people break into a court house in the middle of the night? How would this prevent voter fraud through absentee ballots? It has nothing to do with fraud.

Please enlighten me as to how Norm Coleman went to bed one night up by 725 votes only to "lose" a few months later by 312? Bad counters on election night?

You and fourteen of your best friends could have flown up from Arizona and cast your ballots for Al Franken - all you would have needed would have been me to "vouch" for you and tell the 90 year old grandma at the polling station that you lived in my district. No chance of fraud there, is there? Nah...nothing to see here, move along, folks...

And many states charge for them. But it cost money to get there and money to get the needed documents they require. Also many people do not have the right papers to get one. What even is the objective of requiring an id? Voter fraud? What voter fraud? You mean where tea party people break into a court house in the middle of the night? How would this prevent voter fraud through absentee ballots? It has nothing to do with fraud. You know many people would say that the US Customs and Border Patrol are a tyranny form of government control interfering with free commerce and movement. I have a god given right to travel anywhere I want without the US Customs Bureau interfering with my travels. They have no right to check my luggage or automobile when crossing the border into the US. They also do not have the right to force me to prove my citizenship. That is a violation of my Fourth Amendment rights.

Yeah, keep on spouting that line at the U.S. Border and you will be in hand cuffs, and you will be put on secondary inspection. You might want to inform yourself, it's not a violation of your civil or constitutional rights to require luggage be checked at the airport or the port of entry. That’s how the U.S. keeps contraband and weapons of mass destruction out of the homeland.

It's the Government's constitutional duty to protect its borders and commercial airlines, unfortunately, the last three presidents have been horrible in doing so. Bush is better than the current president, but that’s not saying much. I find it funny that Left Wing Liberals think it's racist to have to show an ID at the voting booth. These same people will need an ID to drive an automobile or buy booze. Also, the DNC is making people show their ID to get into their conventions, I suppose that’s racist too?

Edited by Goon

Please enlighten me as to how Norm Coleman went to bed one night up by 725 votes only to "lose" a few months later by 312? Bad counters on election night?

You and fourteen of your best friends could have flown up from Arizona and cast your ballots for Al Franken - all you would have needed would have been me to "vouch" for you and tell the 90 year old grandma at the polling station that you lived in my district. No chance of fraud there, is there? Nah...nothing to see here, move along, folks...

Raises hand... Voter Fraud... No, say it aint so.

* Now a new book — “Who’s Counting?” by John Fund and Hans von Spakovsky — charges that Al Franken’s 2008 defeat of incumbent Republican Sen. Norm Coleman may be directly attributable to felons voting illegally.

Coleman led on election night, but a series of recounts lasting eight months eventually gave the seat to the former Saturday Night Live star.

Later, a conservative watchdog group matched criminal records with the voting rolls and discovered that 1,099 felons had illegally cast ballots. State law mandates prosecutions in such cases; 177 have been convicted so far, with 66 more awaiting trial.

...conveniently overlooking Bobby Kennedy secretly wiretapping some news media folks, members of Congress, and others...while big brother JFK, in 1961, created the IRS "strike force," the group in charge of rooting out enemies of the President.

Let's not forget that J Edgar Hoover Spied on American Citzens as well. That was long before Bush.

Under COINTELPRO, federal agents engaged in a jaw-dropping array of abuses—not only widespread surveillance of law-abiding American citizens, but also active “disruption” efforts against political organizations and activist leaders. The most famous is perhaps the FBI’s bugging of Martin Luther King’s hotel rooms, an effort that captured King in a variety of sexually compromising situations. When the press refused to peddle the sex stories (yes, the press used to refuse to peddle sex stories), the FBI sent King an anonymous note urging him to drop out of politics, and potentially to commit suicide. “You are done,” the letter declared. “There is but one way out for you.”

Not gonna touch most of this conversation, but I have several friends who were not allowed to vote in the primaries because they are students/recent grads and still had their parents' address on their ID. Others had a former address, as most students don't reside at the same location for long. Have a Bismarck address but currently reside in Fargo/Grand Forks, sorry, you aren't allowed to vote. Have a north Fargo address but currently reside in south Fargo, sorry, you need to drive 20 minutes north to vote. The voter ID law in ND is purely there to discourage/block college students from voting, as we all know a majority of them support a certain minority party.

Not gonna touch most of this conversation, but I have several friends who were not allowed to vote in the primaries because they are students/recent grads and still had their parents' address on their ID. Others had a former address, as most students don't reside at the same location for long. Have a Bismarck address but currently reside in Fargo/Grand Forks, sorry, you aren't allowed to vote. Have a north Fargo address but currently reside in south Fargo, sorry, you need to drive 20 minutes north to vote. The voter ID law in ND is purely there to discourage/block college students from voting, as we all know a majority of them support a certain minority party.

http://elections.mytimetovote.com/north_dakota.html

Here's the law...

Voter Registration In North Dakota

North Dakota is the only state without voter registration. Although North Dakota was one of the first states to adopt voter registration prior to the turn of the century, it abolished it in 1951. It is also worth noting that North Dakota law still provides cities with the ability to register voters for city elections.

College Students Voting In North Dakota

• If you attend college away from your North Dakota residence and you live on or off campus, you may still vote in your hometown elections. You can do this either by absentee voting or by actually traveling back and voting in person on Election Day at your hometown precinct polling location.
  • If you attend college away from your North Dakota residence and you live on or off campus, you may vote in the precinct (voting area) of your college residence. Be aware however, that if you vote at your college polling location you will lose your residency back home.

To register to vote in the State of North Dakota, you must be:
    • A United States Citizen,
    • A Resident of North Dakota,
    • 18 years of age or older on Election Day, and
    • A precinct resident for 30 days preceding the election.

Voting in North Dakota

[*]Precincts in North Dakota maintain a list of voters who have voted in previous elections. When a voter approaches a polling location they are asked to provide an acceptable form of identification. Then the election board will attempt to locate the voter's name on the voting list. If the voter's name is on the list, the voter's name and address are verified and the voter is then allowed to vote.

[*]If the voter is not on the list, but an election worker knows the voter to be a qualified elector of the precinct the poll worker may vouch for the voter. The voter then has the right to vote.

[*]If the voter is not on the list and no poll worker is able to vouch for them, the voter may be challenged. As part of the challenge, the voter is asked to sign an affidavit swearing to the fact that he or she is a qualified elector of the precinct and therefore qualified to vote in the precinct. If the voter agrees to sign the affidavit, the voter must be allowed to vote. If the voter refuses to sign the affidavit, the voter is choosing not to vote.

I'm aware of the laws. They weren't.

So what was their expectation, that they be allowed to vote anyways?

Last election, a younger person showed up at a Bloomington polling place where I was voting - after being told he was not eligible, he promptly barked about how "ridiculous" and "unfair" it was that he was not allowed to vote there - despite admitting that he lived 20 minutes away in downtown Minneapolis. You can't simply do whatever you want on election day. I also personally witnessed plenty of "vouching" going on...I'm sure that those were all legit though (sarcasm alert).

So, let me see if I have this right... Koch Brothers money = Bad... George Soros money = good.

You got it! Hey, aren't the Koch Brothers the same guys that just donated $25 million to the United Negro College Fund? Yep, those rat b*st*rds!

• Upvote 1

Because you do not think. None are a right to vote. You know the right in the US Constitution. Getting ids costs money which is a poll tax.

Two quick items:

1. Is the right to vote *explicitly* in the Constitution? Doesn't it say the several States set the voting criteria?

2. So by your logic, I shouldn't have to show ID to exercise this (voting) right; how about when I exercise a Second Amendment right and purchase (to keep and bear), should I have to show ID then?

I'll hang up and listen.

• Upvote 1

Two quick items:

1. Is the right to vote *explicitly* in the Constitution? Doesn't it say the several States set the voting criteria?

2. So by your logic, I shouldn't have to show ID to exercise this (voting) right; how about when I exercise a Second Amendment right and purchase (to keep and bear), should I have to show ID then?

I'll hang up and listen.

Yeah, I am waiting to hear his response to this one.

Well duh, that's an easy answer! Anyone should be allowed to vote, but since the 2nd Amendment is only supported by a minority of citizens who use it to bully the majority (according to Hillary Clinton, anyways), it should just be ignored. Problem solved.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Wow, how anyone can defend either side of the isle after what has been going in politics for so many years is beyond me! One thing I have to chuckle at is someone actually defending the Koch brothers, talk about a major contributor to corruption!

Greed is bad! It is ruining everything! Gordon Gekko had it wrong, even though I'm a fan! Tea party is doing a good job of ruining things also.