SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Regionals on Victory Sports

siouxgrad

Just in case you haven't heard, the NCAA regionals are going to be televised on Victory Sports :huh: , not Fox Sports North.

The below was from the Star Tribune last week.

"Victory Sports has acquired the telecast rights to the NCAA Division I

men's hockey semifinals and regional finals as well as the NCAA Division

I wrestling semifinal and men's lacrosse quarterfinals. With Victory

still seeking distribution from the major cable and satellite providers,

this could be bad news for Gophers hockey fans."

I sent the NCAA a note asking why they awarded the broadcasts to Victory Sports, and the below is the response that I got:

"Thank you for your email. ESPN owns the syndication rights to the NCAA

Division I Men's Hockey Regionals. "ESPN Syndication" (a department at

ESPN) will produce all 12 regional games for the second straight year.

ESPN Syndication will include a number of regional sports networks,

cable affilates and selected over-the-air stations in their station

clearance grid. The NCAA broadcast staff is well aware of the situation

with Victory Sports and the early lack of cable clearances in Minnesota.

The regional hockey games will NOT air on Fox Sports North in 2004. If

you don't have Victory Sports, ESPN Syndication would say call your

local cable operator and request Victory Sports.

One other thing is if you have a DirecTV or Dish Network and have the

$12 month "sportspack" (e.g. DirecTV 600s) you will probably get about

6-8 of the 12 regional games on various stations such as NESN, Fox NY,

Comcast-DC, Fox Florida and Empire Sports.

The NCAA is very pleased that ESPN has choosen to produce these 12

regional hockey games on a syndication platform. If they did not, there

would be a good chance that some/most games would go untelevsied in the

first round.

In late February, a complete clearance grid will be available on

www.ncaasports.com click Broadcast Info and then TV Schedule.

The clearance grid will undergo some changes once the 16 team field is

announced on March 21 and stations can see which actual match-ups are

available. I hope this information is helpful."

Geez. A local HDTV cable channel piped in the BeanPot Tourney last night. In High Def. BC looked solid in a 3-1 victory over Haaavaaaad. Boy, those eastern elites are smug.

Anyway, watching hockey in high definition is way cool. The puck is right there.

Now, I am really kicking myself for stepping away from the halftime show on Sunday night . . . .

Geez. A local HDTV cable channel piped in the BeanPot Tourney last night. In High Def. BC looked solid in a 3-1 victory over Haaavaaaad. Boy, those eastern elites are smug.

Anyway, watching hockey in high definition is way cool. The puck is right there.

Now, I am really kicking myself for stepping away from the halftime show on Sunday night . . . .

Actually they won 4-1, but who's counting? :huh:

Just shows you that it is about $$$$ these days. There's about 4 TV's in the MN/ND area that gets Victory Sports....looks like BW3's, DiMaggio's,etc.,will be packed for the NCAA regionals.

Eastern

Sports

Promotion

Network

Actually they won 4-1, but who's counting? :huh:

Just shows you that it is about $$$$ these days. There's about 4 TV's in the MN/ND area that gets Victory Sports....looks like BW3's, DiMaggio's,etc.,will be packed for the NCAA regionals.

Eastern

Sports

Promotion

Network

Right on!! Being based in Bristol, CT....ESPN has an obvious eastern bias.

Get a table at a sports bar and make sure they get Victory. Then convince the barkeep to flip to the hockey game instead of the Nowhere State/Whocares University basketball game on ESPN2.

That was a pretty damn good game last year...I believe that Nowhere St. hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to send it into OT and Whocares U jsut missed one in OT to give NS the win. It's those High School games we have to worry about.

Actually they won 4-1, but who's counting? :p

Eastern

Sports

Promotion

Network

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bars probably won't even have the games. I'm sure Victory will gobble up the UND game as well, and Victory isn't on the two dish networks. Now I'm screwed as well. I suppose UND won't even be able to webcast the game. :huh:

One other thing is if you have a DirecTV or Dish Network and have the $12 month "sportspack" (e.g. DirecTV 600s) you will probably get about 6-8 of the 12 regional games on various stations such as NESN, Fox NY, Comcast-DC, Fox Florida and Empire Sports.

NESN, FOXNY, Comcast-DC, FOXF, and Empire will all be availible at BW3's at least.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, we still have the Rocky Mountain and Detroit Fox Sports Net channels to give us the West Regionals. Anybody with the DirecTV Sports Package should be able to get almost every game I would think.

The NCAA letter makes it seem like those eastern stations will be the only ones carrying it. Though, upon reading the letter again there could be more. I wouldn't count on Rockey Mtn Sports. I think they've carried one DU game all year.

I sent the NCAA a note asking why they awarded the broadcasts to Victory Sports, and the below is the response that I got:

"If you don't have Victory Sports, ESPN Syndication would say call your local cable operator and request Victory Sports."

This is exactly what Victory wants and the NCAA/ESPN are doing their dirty work.

As a freshman, Lundbohm played on a UND team that reached the national championship game for the second year in a row, only to lose in overtime to Boston College.

He wants to play for a national title again - and win it this time. "I want to take advantage of the time I've got left here - it's been a great ride," Lundbohm said.

I like his attitude. I think Brian although he has had a tough season has been a great offensive threat most of his Hockey career.

I lived in Denver last year and dont remember FSRM carrying regional games. There coverage of College Hockey is generally pretty weak. They carry a few DU games and like one CC game during the year. I would be very surprised if they carry more than any game CC or DU would be in.