SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

So you really believe that NDSU has somehow "earned" the right to be treated as a "quasi-FBS" program? Sorry, but that is simply unacceptable and if UND takes that posture, then God help us all. If turning down Talyor's final "offer" means we don't play them ever again, so be it. Instead, Faison caved in and made us look like a joke. That isn't good for recruiting, selling tickets or anything else for that matter.

MafiaMan sounds like a true Bison fan, putting them on a pedistol above every other FCS team. NDSU was better than the bottom FBS teams I suppose they should be telling those teams it's Fargo or nothing.

nstead, Faison caved in and made us look like a joke.  That isn't good for recruiting, selling tickets or anything else for that matter.

If, just if, UND wins will it be good for recruiting, selling tickets, or anything else?

Again it's not all Faisons fault. He was being a good AD and listening to his football coach and boosters.

If, just if, UND wins will it be good for recruiting, selling tickets, or anything else?

Again it's not all Faisons fault. He was being a good AD and listening to his football coach and boosters.

That's the key, this wasn't Faison doing this on his own behind everyone's back. He talked with his coaches, talked to NDSU, got it done then it went to the press. Its just another OOC game in 2015. Maybe after 2019 UND can get NDSU at home, by that time NDSU will have a new AD and we can have a better relationship with NDSU especially when it comes to scheduling football.

So you really believe that NDSU has somehow "earned" the right to be treated as a "quasi-FBS" program? Sorry, but that is simply unacceptable and if UND takes that posture, then God help us all. If turning down Taylor's final "offer" means we don't play them ever again, so be it. Instead, Faison caved in and made us look like a joke. That isn't good for recruiting, selling tickets or anything else for that matter.

I never said NDSU was a quasi-FBS team, but to their credit, their resume doesn't include a 15 point loss and a 2 point win over an NAIA school, does it?

God help us all over an NDSU/UND football game? I think he's got bigger issues to deal with these days...

It seems that Bubba wanted the game scheduled regardless of how, when, or where. You want him fired too?

MafiaMan sounds like a true Bison fan, putting them on a pedistol above every other FCS team. NDSU was better than the bottom FBS teams I suppose they should be telling those teams it's Fargo or nothing.

Yawn...I've explained my family NDSU-ology before, darell, and I won't do it again.

And I think the word you are looking for is "pedestal."

It seems that Bubba wanted the game scheduled regardless of how, when, or where. You want him fired too?

Not me.

The more I think about it, the better I like this deal. 

Let Bubba use this for next year as a "red letter" day game.  Circle it on the calendar and challenge his team.  Hey, UND may not win, but if they can make it competitive and show the FCS crowd that they can hang with the "big dog" of FCS, it will only help the program. 

It is a risk, but it's worth taking.  No doubt. 

I never said NDSU was a quasi-FBS team, but to their credit, their resume doesn't include a 15 point loss and a 2 point win over an NAIA school, does it?

God help us all over an NDSU/UND football game? I think he's got bigger issues to deal with these days...

So SDSU's resume includes a loss to DIII UW-LaCrosse.  ISUb's resume includes a loss to DII Quincy, UNI's resume includes a loss to DII North Dakota. South Dakota has no football titles, a worse record in the GWFC days but still get a 2 for 1 while UND gets a 2 for 0. NDSU is on the same level as UND as a whole. Or else why do we play in Fargo in volleyball and women's basketball? Those games should be in GF if we go by "level".

• Upvote 1

Not me.

Let Bubba use this for next year as a "red letter" day game.  Circle it on the calendar and challenge his team.  Hey, UND may not win, but if they can make it competitive and show the FCS crowd that they can hang with the "big dog" of FCS, it will only help the program. 

It is a risk, but it's worth taking.  No doubt. 

This ^^^^^^   

So SDSU's resume includes a loss to DIII UW-LaCrosse. ISUb's resume includes a loss to DII Quincy, UNI's resume includes a loss to DII North Dakota. South Dakota has no football titles, a worse record in the GWFC days but still get a 2 for 1 while UND gets a 2 for 0. NDSU is on the same level as UND as a whole. Or else why do we play in Fargo in volleyball and women's basketball? Those games should be in GF if we go by "level".

Kentucky's SEC in football...Indiana's Big 10 in football...Colorado's Pac 12 in football...do those schools carry the same amount of FBS "respect" as Alabama, Ohio State, and USC?

Kentucky's SEC in football...Indiana's Big 10 in football...Colorado's Pac 12 in football...do those schools carry the same amount of FBS "respect" as Alabama, Ohio State, and USC?

Alabama played at Duke in 2010, in what way is Duke on the same "level" as Alabama? From 1995-2012 not one winning season for Duke. Again, are they on the same level for Bama to travel to Duke?

So now you're all IN FAVOR of this game despite posting a week or two ago that UND should forget about NDSU and get someone else on the schedule?

I was against it when it was 2015, 2017. 2017 would have given us 4 home games. Yeah I just went back and read the comments. It does suck that its 2 for 0, even USD got a 2 for 1. But I came around, and think fine 2015 OOC big deal, 2019 (THE KEY YEAR) an OOC road game big deal, because in 2019 its a 12 game schedule where UND can still get 6 home games.

Let Bubba use this for next year as a "red letter" day game. Circle it on the calendar and challenge his team. Hey, UND may not win, but if they can make it competitive and show the FCS crowd that they can hang with the "big dog" of FCS, it will only help the program.

It is a risk, but it's worth taking. No doubt.

Somebody else gets it...good to see.

Hopefully gone are the days of selling the "toe to toe" BS after a complete a** kicking, constant excuse making and poor coaching in general. Bubba wasn't close to my top choice to succeed Muss but I'm behind him, his program and his willingness to shed the "Jan Brady" label of college FB in this state.

If Faison was "being a good AD", he wouldn't have capitulated like he did.  He would have weighed the potential long-term negative consequences of genuflecting to these jerks and told Bubba nicely, but firmly "No, we are not taking this deal."  But no, he caved in.  Being a leader sometimes means saying no when others are pressuring you to say yes.

• Upvote 1

No, I don't want Bubba fired.  You really love putting words into my mouth, don't you?  I understand why Bubba wants the rivalry to resume, but Faison has a responsibility as Athletic Director to look out for the long-term interests of UND athletics.  By caving in like this, he has almost assured NDSU will try and pull this crap again and again.  Will Faison cave in again and again?  The answer had better be no or I'll be calling for his head, not Bubba's.

Please answer this question for me: If Alabama and Auburn ever ended up in different conferences, should Alabama get to host every single game from that point on because they have more national titles than Auburn and have had more sustained success over the years, especially during the Nick Saban era?  If your answer is yes, then you don't understand how college football scheduling (outside of Hyslop Sports Center anyway) works.  There is no way Auburn would accept anything that asinine and Faison shouldn't have either.  This is a bad deal all around and I won't apologize for saying so.

The fact that people are upset about the NDSU games is, in my opinion, ridiculous.  It needed to be done.  Its been a long time coming and things should have never gotten to this point.  Who cares if the first two games are in Fargo.  Its not like they are in back to back years and we are getting paid to do it with virtually no expenses.  If you take NDSU out of it and just say we are getting paid $125,000 to drive one hour to play the best team in the FCS people would be ecstatic.  But since its NDSU some people are butt hurt about it.

I applaud Bubba and Faison.  They did what needed to be done and the overwhelming majority of people are happy about it.  I look forward to both games and future games that will undoubtedly be played in both Fargo and Grand Forks in the coming future.

• Upvote 3

The fact that people are upset about the NDSU games is, in my opinion, ridiculous.  It needed to be done.  Its been a long time coming and things should have never gotten to this point.  Who cares if the first two games are in Fargo.  Its not like they are in back to back years and we are getting paid to do it with virtually no expenses.  If you take NDSU out of it and just say we are getting paid $125,000 to drive one hour to play the best team in the FCS people would be ecstatic.  But since its NDSU some people are butt hurt about it.

I applaud Bubba and Faison.  They did what needed to be done and the overwhelming majority of people are happy about it.  I look forward to both games and future games that will undoubtedly be played in both Fargo and Grand Forks in the coming future.

Well said; I agree. 

Alabama played at Duke in 2010, in what way is Duke on the same "level" as Alabama? From 1995-2012 not one winning season for Duke. Again, are they on the same level for Bama to travel to Duke?

Well you see, darell, Alabama and Duke actually go back a long ways together. Alabama coach Wallace Wade left Tuscaloosa to coach at Duke way before our time. He's such a legend at both schools that the street that runs alongside Alabama's Bryant-Denny Stadium is Wade Avenue and Duke's stadium is actually NAMED Wallace Wade Stadium.

In addition, Duke coach David Cutcliffe played at Alabama and was an assistant coach under some guy you may have heard of: Paul "Bear" Bryant.

Call it a hunch...but I have a feeling that those are a couple of good reasons why mighty Alabama travelled to lowly Duke in 2010...

No, I don't want Bubba fired. You really love putting words into my mouth, don't you? I understand why Bubba wants the rivalry to resume, but Faison has a responsibility as Athletic Director to look out for the long-term interests of UND athletics.

Please answer this question for me: If Alabama and Auburn ever ended up in different conferences, should Alabama get to host every single game from that point on because they have more national titles than Auburn and have had more sustained success over the years, especially during the Nick Saban era? If your answer is yes, then you don't understand how college football scheduling (outside of Hyslop Sports Center anyway) works. There is no way Auburn would accept anything that asinine and Faison shouldn't have either. This is a bad deal all around and I won't apologize for saying so.

And what better way to set the tone for a great relationship with your new head coach than by squashing his request to get a certain team on the schedule, right?

Your Alabama/Auburn question doesn't make any sense unless Alabama were to move up to FBS1 and leaves Auburn behind in FBS2.

And what better way to set the tone for a great relationship with your new head coach than by squashing his request to get a certain team on the schedule, right?

Your Alabama/Auburn question doesn't make any sense unless Alabama were to move up to FBS1 and leaves Auburn behind in FBS2.

Again, you are putting FU on some "higher" level when in fact they are at the same level we are (FCS, 63 scholarships).  Their current success does not necessitate UND prostituting itself to get the game back on the schedule.  And I think Bubba has more immediate concerns than whether or not we play FU; such as cleaning up the mess Mussman left behind.  Which I believe he will, despite the wishful thinking of the FU faithful.  Maybe I am wrong about all this (I certainly hope I am proven wrong), but this whole deal just doesn't make us look good.

Will UND be playing at Michigan Tech or Alaska-Anchorage anytime soon for OOC, regular season hockey games? Same level right?

Okay, I'll bite on this one.  Did we or did we not play Bemidji State on the road in hockey when they were making their move up from D-II to D-I in the late 1990's?  Minnesota was too snobbish to do that; we were not.  We didn't have to, but we did anyway.  We have done this for years in Men's Hockey, so please don't go where I think you are going.  And comparing MTU and UAA to FU is laughable.  FU is an long-time, bitter, in-state rivalry.  MTU and UAA are two schools that we once shared a conference home with (WCHA) and that we never had a bitter rivalry with.

Like I have said before, this would never happen with Alabama-Auburn, Notre Dame-Miami (Fla), Texas-Oklahoma or Iowa-Iowa State.  Heck, even the Minnesota Golden Rodent Men's Hockey team is planning on coming to Grand Forks in a few years.  The Goofs have beaten us more than we've beaten them the last several years.  So should Faison have rolled over and agreed to schedule games only in Minneapolis?  The answer is no and the answer should have been no here as well.  It's a matter of thinking and acting like a bona-fide Division I FCS Football program instead of meekly accepting our "place" as a glorified Pioneer League program that has no choice but to genuflect to those arrogant pricks in Imperial Cass County anytime they make outrageous demands.  We need to adopt a snot-nosed, take-no-prisoners attitude that says we bow down to no one and we are here to compete for championships (both league and national).  Caving in to Gene Taylor's outrageous demands are not an example of that.

• Upvote 2

Again, you are putting FU on some "higher" level when in fact they are at the same level we are (FCS, 63 scholarships).  Their current success does not necessitate UND prostituting itself to get the game back on the schedule.  And I think Bubba has more immediate concerns than whether or not we play FU; such as cleaning up the mess Mussman left behind.  Which I believe he will, despite the wishful thinking of the FU faithful.  Maybe I am wrong about all this (I certainly hope I am proven wrong), but this whole deal just doesn't make us look good.

How is rescheduling the game against your biggest rival that all of the players want to play and 99% of the State residents want to see suddenly constitute "prostituting" ourselves out?

• Upvote 1

And comparing MTU and UAA to FU is laughable. FU is an long-time, bitter, in-state rivalry. MTU and UAA are two schools that we once shared a conference home with (WCHA) and that we never had a bitter rivalry with.

Like I have said before, this would never happen with Alabama-Auburn, Notre Dame-Miami (Fla), Texas-Oklahoma or Iowa-Iowa State. Heck, even the Minnesota Golden Rodent Men's Hockey team is planning on coming to Grand Forks in a few years. The Goofs have beaten us more than we've beaten them the last several years.

Speaking of laughable...let's look at the Notre Dame/Miami rivalry. After losing in Miami in 1989, Notre Dame almost immediately announced that the 1990 game in South Bend would be it - the rivalry needed a "cooling off period." The teams would not meet again in regular season play until 2012 - at Soldier Field. Notre Dame territory. A second game was scheduled for 2016. Where, you ask? Miami? Tampa Bay? Hell, how about Jacksonville? Nope. South Bend, Indiana.