SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Pios Sat.

sprig

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice game by the Parise bros. Hell of a gutty performance by Caldwell. Denver should change their name from Pioneers to Klingons. Somebody please explain to me why no penalty was called on the take-down on Parise w/ 19 seconds left in the OT? If you let that crap go, it favors the LESS SKILLED TEAM! Why would anyone want that to be the case? Adam was doing ok until that gutless decision.

Sioux were in alone 6 or 7 times in the game and came away with nothing. After Caldwell scored, Denver picked it up and has some great chances that Parise made super glove saves on. Up to that time Denvers shots were harmless except for one Conner breakaway in period 2, saved by JPar. Sioux had all the chances in the third period up until Caldwell scored.

Hale made a good move on a 2 on 1 and backhanded the puck under Berkhoel (with the game 1-0 early in the third), but it went off the near post. Parise shot it off the crossbar late in the game. Lots of missed chances for the Sioux, much like the Gopher game, although they got most of them on net tonight, and Berkhoel was good.

Both goalies stole a point, although the Sioux could have had this one put away by the end of the second if not for Berkhoel.

Both goalies stole a point, although the Sioux could have had this one put away by the end of the second if not for Berkhoel.

JPar played awesome this weekend. It maybe classified as a coming out party for Jordon. Rookie Goaltender stopping 54/56 this weekend is really good and a

10-1-3 record is not too shabby for a frosh.

Its nice to have two good goaltenders going down the stretch run. 7/8 points this weekend against Denver is pretty good in my book. Hard to sweep four games against any team in our league.

I didn't see the game, so perhaps if I had I would be a little more down, but I don't think this game is reason to get too down on the team. I look at it this way: The Sioux had outscored Denver 20-5 over three games, and had a 1-0 lead after two periods. The game seemed in control. Then Denver came out and got some momentum and played their guts out. I can't fault the Sioux for having lost a little respect for Denver and underestimating them. 20-5 will do that to you.

I had the same uncomfortable deja vu after UND lost 2-1 to SCSU early. They couldn't seem to buy a goal. I've seen enough now to know that I'm not going to worry about it if they run into a hot goalie or fail to convert for a game here or there.

As the third rolled on and it was apparent there was a real battle, I was happy to take the point and move on.

I didn't see the game, so perhaps if I had I would be a little more down, but I don't think this game is reason to get too down on the team. I look at it this way: The Sioux had outscored Denver 20-5 over three games, and had a 1-0 lead after two periods. The game seemed in control. Then Denver came out and got some momentum and played their guts out. I can't fault the Sioux for having lost a little respect for Denver and underestimating them. 20-5 will do that to you.

I had the same uncomfortable deja vu after UND lost 2-1 to SCSU early. They couldn't seem to buy a goal. I've seen enough now to know that I'm not going to worry about it if they run into a hot goalie or fail to convert for a game here or there.

As the third rolled on and it was apparent there was a real battle, I was happy to take the point and move on.

Berkhoel is a great goalie. Friday's game didn't show it, but he really is a good goaltender. I expected both games to be close, but we should have won.

BTW- For anyone who saw the games, looking at Berkhoel, do you think that gold on his leg padding was spray painted on? It looks like it was to me. ;)

Caldwell got lucky on Saturday, the cheap bast@rd :)

Do ties hurt PWR ratings? Is there a chance that BC will get more votes because we couldn't sweep?

Do ties hurt PWR ratings?  Is there a chance that BC will get more votes because we couldn't sweep?

Our win% is now identical to BC's, but we still beat them in the PWR comparison. (You can see the individual comparison using my handy PWR analysis tool).

• Our RPI is significantly better due to a much stronger schedule.
  • This tie actually gave BC the TUC edge (this tie will hurt us a lot less if Denver drops out of being a TUC by the end of the season).
  • H2H is a tie and will remain so all season.
  • We have a pretty strong edge on COP, but we have two games remaining against UMD that could change that.

As much as stats amuse me, I'm with DamStrait. I'd almost rather go in #3-4 than #1.

Caldwell got lucky on Saturday, the cheap bast@rd :)

Do ties hurt PWR ratings? Is there a chance that BC will get more votes because we couldn't sweep?

After the goaltending on both sides Caldwell was the best player on the ice Sat. He had to have logged close to 40 min. He was on the ice everytime the money line was out. The real key to Denver's success on Sat. was the fact Dora was out of the lineup. I think teams score 3-4 goals a game just because he pisses them off so much. Note to Denver: if you want to make the NCAA's ship Dora back to the Cech Republic or Slovakia or wherever the hell he crawled out of. ;)

After the goaltending on both sides Caldwell was the best player on the ice Sat. He had to have logged close to 40 min. He was on the ice everytime the money line was out. The real key to Denver's success on Sat. was the fact Dora was out of the lineup. I think teams score 3-4 goals a game just because he pisses them off so much. Note to Denver: if you want to make the NCAA's ship Dora back to the Cech Republic or Slovakia or wherever the hell he crawled out of. ;)

According to some on USCHO, Dora is the popular player and Caldwell, despite DU fans saying that his stick handling and skating are on par with the best DU has, is the unpopular one. I don't put much weight on anything I get from USCHO, but the amusement factor from those comments is notable.

A couple of thoughts on the weekend:

1. If anyone has a chance to make the Sioux booster lunch on Friday's of home games I highly recommend it. This was our first one and Gwoz was a great speaker, and fun to listen to Blais too. Gwoz is very engaging, and fun to listen to.

2. Sat. night....I think DU woke up a little, and there might be something to jk's comments about beating a team badly 3 times in a row (with the third a complete thrashing) that maybe causes you to lose your edge a bit. DU played much harder, and played a much better defensive game. Because of that they created a lot more offensive opportunity, maybe their transition game was just working a bit better but they definitely had more jump saturday night.

The Sioux crowd was also asleep on Sat. Maybe after the bitter temps on Friday people were just happy to be alive but until 10 min left in the 3rd on Sat. everybody was just happy to be there, and it seemed like that team played the same way.

With 10 min left in the 3rd, the place started lighting up. I no longer retain any of the critical game instances that occured at that time, but there were some inspired plays on the ice (not even counting JPar) and some work by the Ralph crew and the band and the fans to generate some life in the crowd. Finally it all came together and the end of the game was electric. Still if it was not for Parise it could have been a loss. He made some outstanding saves right there at the end.

Stafford played a more energetic game on Sat than on Friday I thought.

Adam did a pretty good job all weekend. I thought he missed one blatant call on Friday when Parise broke in alone and had his stick held half way through the offensive zone. On Sat he let got a trip by Porter and a pretty obvious penalty by another Sioux player later in the game. In the end, I think we got the benefit of the calls vs. the poor end. Still, there were few calls to be made except for a few in the second period. Pretty clean hockey by both teams, and considering our criticism of Denver in the past, I certainly would say they looked like a different team this weekend.

Bochenski had a pretty quiet game on Sat. Didn't look like the superman he's looked in some other games I've seen lately. Fylling was really scooting along.

Fabian played a did a pretty good job out there. He had a couple of decent chance that he couldn't quite convert on, and if he could have caught a pass would have gone in alone against Berkhoel. Would have been fun to see.

I said last week it seemed like Murray was 6 inches away from making some special plays and this weekend he was about right there, and I'm talking about some other plays besides just a couple of goals. He's awfully good out there.

Our Money line is really something to watch, people. If you have a chance to see some games this year, you need to get there to watch them. Murray, Parise, and Bo will put on a show for you. We have some good players and good lines, but you can tell when this trio is on the ice. Even if they had no numbers on their jerseys, you could see the difference. The talent and intensity is really something.

I had a chance to meet PCM. Nice to meet you sir! Thanks again for the work you do for us Sioux fans.

I am concerned that we are getting a bit tired out. For the 3rd if not 4th game in a row we've not dominated the 3rd period. Yes, we won the MN game in the 3rd but that was on Power Plays. I hope we are not getting fatigued.

Speaking of the PP, there were times this weekend, especially on Friday when it could rule the world. Wow. There were other times.........

Forecheck, I see you had some more camera time on Saturday. Good for you.

Good signs all!

Time to go. I've bored you all.

Forecheck, I see you had some more camera time on Saturday. Good for you.

I'm beginning to think you watch the big screen more than the ice. :) The camera guy between the players' benches is right across from where we sit, so he usually puts us on the big screen every weekend. It also doesn't hurt that my friends sitting in front of me were drunk and willing to act like morons.

The signs looked good, but someone told me at work today that he didn't understand them when he saw them.