SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-Sioux Tournament Game Updates

Ray77

So after the '98 regional, the NCAA made a few rule changes...such as host team (if in host team's actual home rink) using visitor locker rooms if lower seed, home logos removed from ice (except for small logo as tournament host), and no third or alternate jerseys. So here's a question...why were Boston College and Minnesota wearing their third jerseys this weekend?

wouldn't that mean UND couldn't wear it's black jerseys as well?

wouldn't that mean UND couldn't wear it's black jerseys as well?

Yes. I wasn't being facetious with my post...there were many slight rule changes made after that fiasco in Ann Arbor. I wasn't aware that some of them had been revised or scrapped.

This should be a fun time on April 10! If Minnesota plays like they did against SCSU I think they'll get by UND with their overall depth and goaltending, but at the same time it's hard to say that because UND always seems to find ways to win. Gothberg is going to be the key for UND, IMO. He had a damn good regional weekend and if he plays like that he's going to keep UND in it and give them a chance to win. In a single elimination tournament anything can happen.

I've been trying to think about it for awhile but you guys can probably tell me much easier. Has UND played a team as good as Minnesota is on offense and team defense this year? I was thinking and just wasn't too sure. As a Minnesota fan I feel like we have the better team, but I'm also concerned that Minnesota's youth can catch up to them at any time and they can make mistakes, which a team like UND or BC will make them pay for normally.

This should be a fun time on April 10! If Minnesota plays like they did against SCSU I think they'll get by UND with their overall depth and goaltending, but at the same time it's hard to say that because UND always seems to find ways to win. Gothberg is going to be the key for UND, IMO. He had a damn good regional weekend and if he plays like that he's going to keep UND in it and give them a chance to win. In a single elimination tournament anything can happen.

I've been trying to think about it for awhile but you guys can probably tell me much easier. Has UND played a team as good as Minnesota is on offense and team defense this year? I was thinking and just wasn't too sure. As a Minnesota fan I feel like we have the better team, but I'm also concerned that Minnesota's youth can catch up to them at any time and they can make mistakes, which a team like UND or BC will make them pay for normally.

Just like UND, I think that it depends which MN team shows up for the game. While MN played very well against SCSU, they have had games where they have not played at that level. Likewise, UND has had games where they have looked absolutely dominant. The second period at SCSU they potted five goals and made SCSU look ridiculous. They also embarrassed Miami 9-2 in a game at UND. Yes, Miami had a tough year defensively but offensively they could also be extremely dynamic. WI swept MN one weekend this season and UND seemed to handle them pretty well. Although the score was close until the end, UND outplayed WI for much of the game. MN also seemed to struggle against MSU, who had a good goaltender. UND has good goaltending. Both teams have scoring depth. Both teams have mobile defensemen, but UND has had a little more scoring from the defense.

I think it will boil down to the first period. If MN does not jump out front with a couple of goals, I like UND's chances. Even if MN gets the first goal, that isn't such a big deal. MN getting the first two or three goals would be a big deal. MN often times seems to live or die by the power play. If UND stays out of the box, that could be a key.

The final key could be the third and fourth lines. I don't know about those lines for MN. For UND, there have been times where one or both of those lines has dominated in a game and set the tone. There have been times those lines have skated against the other teams top lines and absolutely shut them down.

This one is a real toss up. If the MN team that played SCSU shows up, the edge may or may not go to MN. If they don't, then the edge may or may not go to UND, depending upon which UND team shows up. Hopefully, it will not come down to the skill of the officiating crew.

This one could truly come down to the reason why they play the game.