SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

Question: Aren't NDSU and UND too small to be in the FBS? So, really, isn't this a mute discussion? I am just wondering.

The power of the interwebs:

The smallest Division I FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision, formerly Division I-A) school is the University of Tulsa, with 2756 undergraduates. Rice University is the second smallest, with 3054, and Wake Forest University is the third smallest, with 4412.

Actually, here's a pretty good game: http://www.sporcle.com/games/NC_Watson/smallest-fbs-schools

Ignore what at my peril? The Bakken? What the hell does that have to do with the subject at hand? Wasnt around when NDSU was trying to get in to the BSC. Dont care. Glad we are where we are.

From your post I take it you think people laugh at you often. May be theres a reason?

The Bakken has everything to do with UND being in the Big Sky. Years ago I said that UND needed to be in a western conference to create Montana rivalries and tap into some of the wealth emerging from the Bakken. NDSU posters mocked and scorned that because they were rejected numerous times and they thought UND needed cheaper travel east but no football league. I've been posting for more than 10 years and have constantly been a direct adversary of Bisonville Conventional Wisdom, which is really unconventional stupidity and groupthink.

Only star2city would ever come up with the idea that Bresciani told Taylor he had to schedule UND or leave..... And that Taylor would choose the latter.

Taylor is universally worshipped around the FM area. He never has to wipe his *ss because there's always teammakers around to kiss it for him.

If Taylor would have seen anyway to take NDSU FBS by any other route but the Big Sky, he would have stayed. Taylor has too much hate for UND, Montana St, and the Big Sky to ever want to be a part of it.

The power of the interwebs:

Actually, here's a pretty good game: http://www.sporcle.c...est-fbs-schools

Bowling Green, Miami, Kent St, Ball St, Appy St, Troy, Ga So, Idaho, Washington St, and Utah St are all pretty good examples of small town hosting FBS teams. Some, like Idaho and Washington St, are more remote and difficult to travel to than Grand Forks.

The Bakken has everything to do with UND being in the Big Sky. Years ago I said that UND needed to be in a western conference to create Montana rivalries and tap into some of the wealth emerging from the Bakken. NDSU posters mocked and scorned that because they were rejected numerous times and they thought UND needed cheaper travel east but no football league. I've been posting for more than 10 years and have constantly been a direct adversary of Bisonville Conventional Wisdom, which is really unconventional stupidity and groupthink.

Montana rivalries = tapping wealth from the Bakken?? Rejected because of distance, and the only reason UND is in the BSC is the Montana's burned once with some conference members for rejecting NDSU and SDSU threaten to jump conferences. If UND had an AD half as successful as Mr. Taylor during and after the transition you'd be down there kissing too. Anyone can thrown enough sh*t against the wall and sometimes it sticks.

If UND had an AD half as successful as Mr. Taylor during and after the transition you'd be down there kissing too.

Always assumed that you were Gene Taylor's primary buttwiper, but you have confirmed it.

If Lynn Dorn is the next AD, do you inherit that job?

Und is in the bcs because of the bakken? Is that correct?

Und is in the bcs because of the bakken? Is that correct?

You turds are ascribing words to me I never said.

UND needs to be in a western-looking conference in part because of the Bakken. The whole school can grow and benefit from looking west, instead of looking to Minneapolis for approval like NDSU does.

The Bakken isn't going to make UND go FBS, but the money from the region won't hurt. Highly doubt that Harold Hamm or Statoil or Whiting will build a roof over Memorial. But Harold Hamm and Hess have already given to the Geology and Engineering School substantial money and grown their enrollment and importance. Only two companies and probably ten more like it out there wanting to invest money at UND.

• Upvote 1

How much talk/interest has there been between Fullerton and NMSU? I know NMSU and Idaho are one of the same but I haven't heard anything about the Aggies joining the BSC or showing interest, whereas UI starts BSC play with all their other sports in a couple months.

Upon acceptance of this memoradum the University of Idaho shall immediately deposit 50% of $250,000 entry fee with the Big Sky conference. This entry fee is non-refundable. The only exception shall be, should there be a significant loss of membership by the Big Sky Conference prior to July 1, 2014, the University of Idaho may notify the league of its intention not to join the league and the deposit will be refunded. A significant loss of members would be defined as the loss of any or all of the following institutions from the Big Sky Conference: the University of Montana, Montana State University, or the University or North Dakota. The remaining 50% is due July 1, 2014.

That's an excerpt from the memorandum returning Idaho (all but football) to the Big Sky.

Fullerton wants Idaho back in the Big Sky. Idaho's academic credentials would help Fullerton appease the concerns of the Montana schools regarding letting lesser academic schools in the conference. (Fullerton wanted North Dakota for that same reason.)

You can see the same concern in reverse from Idaho, namely, if those named three weren't at the party when Idaho showed up they could get out of the deal including getting their deposit back. (Fullerton would give the deposit back! That's how much he was willing to bend to what Idaho wanted to get them.)

Idaho tightens up, makes more stable, Fullerton's northern Big Sky nucleus.

Why is Fullerton so obsessed with Idaho? He's like a creepy stalker. Every press conference he mentions Idaho Football. Weird.

He's sees Idaho as the Big Sky's ticket to FBS with the NCAA. Montana, MSU, and especially PSU, and the California schools see football as FBS or bust. FCS just doesn't work in big urban areas where pro sports complete with college. PSU and the California teams struggle immensely with the FCS label in their markets, as the media there thinks it is DII football.

Idaho and Boise St announced that they were leaving just as he became commish. (He was the Montana St AD.) Nevada left a couple years before.

For full disclosure:

Craig Haley @CraigHaley

Fullerton: Idaho, New Mexico St. out there as possible 14th Big Sky football members. Only when time is right. #BigSkyKickoff

12:12 p.m. Mon, Jul 14

Craig Haley @CraigHaley

Fullerton: New governing structure could be announced in next 10 days involving five major conferences on FBS level. #BigSkyKickoff

Craig Haley @CraigHaley

Fullerton: "I'm really optimistic that there's some really good things in this new governing structure." #BigSkyKickoff

12:10 p.m. Mon, Jul 14

If there is a window for an FBS Big Sky opening in ten days, Cal Poly, UCDavis, UND, and E Wash need to fundraise for >15,000 seats quickly.

The P5 might write into the FBS rules that any FCS conference with one FBS team can transition to FBS. The G5 really might not like it, but they can't do a thing about it. The P5 want more schools in the G5, so the scheduling is cheaper.

A couple of other tweets that deserve mention:

gyVC-uKs_normal.jpegColter Nuanez @Bobcat_Beat · 10h

ROOT Sports on 4 Emmy awards sat year, including for best live events for their production of
games.

Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton said he is lobbying for instant replay "It's the standard of college sports." #BigSkyKickoff #BigSkyFB

gyVC-uKs_bigger.jpeg

Fullerton supports full tuition for SAs, parents coming on recruiting visits as long as @BigSkyConf schools can afford it #BigSkyKickoff

Not a word on bisonville about that tweet.

I guess it is OK to mock what athletes eats at the Big Sky media day, but anything substantive and they refuse to discuss it out in the open.

Translation: watch the Grand Forks water supply as bisonville is shi**ing bricks down south. Meltdown in 10 days.

I am sure it will make it to a few of the hundred UND threads over there.

If there is a window for an FBS Big Sky opening in ten days, Cal Poly, UCDavis, UND, and E Wash need to fundraise for >15,000 seats quickly.

The P5 might write into the FBS rules that any FCS conference with one FBS team can transition to FBS. The G5 really might not like it, but they can't do a thing about it. The P5 want more schools in the G5, so the scheduling is cheaper.

If the current P5 were to rewrite parts of the rules, as you hypothesize, you have to know they'd understand that many FCS schools don't have 15,000 seat stadiums. I wonder if they'd revisit that number (or the attendance section in general). It'd take the pressure off of a significant number of current FBS (G5) schools also.

If the current P5 were to rewrite parts of the rules, as you hypothesize, you have to know they'd understand that many FCS schools don't have 15,000 seat stadiums. I wonder if they'd revisit that number (or the attendance section in general). It'd take the pressure off of a significant number of current FBS (G5) schools also.

Change the requirement to 4,000 attendance that way Eastern Michigan can finally be in compliance.

Not a word on bisonville about that tweet.

I guess it is OK to mock what athletes eats at the Big Sky media day, but anything substantive and they refuse to discuss it out in the open.

Translation: watch the Grand Forks water supply as bisonville is shi**ing bricks down south. Meltdown in 10 days.

I dont tweet so the first I heard about it was here. Dont know why you are making a big deal about BV not making it a big deal? I found it interesting but its not like its a big surprise is iT?

I can bring my own chair for the endzone plaza. 1 down...

• Upvote 1

I dont tweet so the first I heard about it was here. Dont know why you are making a big deal about BV not making it a big deal? I found it interesting but its not like its a big surprise is iT?

On the CSNbbs realignment board, some of the posters are in shock and claiming Fullerton is full of it.

How exactly the Big Sky or any FCS conference can go FBS is still a mystery (and may not be allowed). But Bison fans who think the MVC would automatically tab them as a full member may be in for a shock. Wichita State has a lot of influence, and they want more teams in the SW. NMSt, Ark St, W Ky, and Texas St are logical targets to go with Mo St, and they would enjoy stronger basketball than the Sun Belt. NDSU, SDSU, W Ill, USD, and Youngstown might be left in the cold if the MVC is allowed to move up.