SiouxSports.com Forum

High-Stick Call

GO4-4LIFE

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If me quoting the Gophers factual conference standing as of today is "myopic", isn't your quoting the Gophers current PWR the same? :glare:

No, because the PWR is a truer reflection of how they stand in relation to the Sioux and the rest of the upper teams in the country. If you want to refer to them as a "5th place" team, be my guest but then again the Sioux should have done better this weekend against such a poor team. :huh:

Those upcoming games that affect the conference standings will also affect PWR.

Of course they will, and since the Gophers will win the vast majority of those games their PWR will only go up. ;)

Hey Fedorov - I don't flame, I don't attack the Sioux, I have defended Parise against the ridiculous overrated accusations and I have acknowledged UND is one of the best teams in the country and have as legitimate shot as anyone to be NC this year. Excuse me for having the audacity to have a differing opinion than some Sioux fans. :lol:

No, because the PWR is a truer reflection of how they stand in relation to the Sioux and the rest of the upper teams in the country. If you want to refer to them as a "5th place" team, be my guest but then again the Sioux should have done better this weekend against such a poor team. :glare:

Although the Gophers looked very good on Saturday, you should not overstate the obvious. The reality is, the Gophers are currently the fifth place team in the league! Will they finish higher, probably, but are they currently the fifth place team, yes!

However, you say the power is a more accurate reflection. That being the case, you are saying you are on par with that powerhouse SCSU as you are tied for sixth. Is that an accurate reflection?

Keep in mind that if the season ended today, 8 of the 10 teams in the WCHA would have to be in the tournament. As strong as the WCHA is, if SCSU is the sixth best team in the nation, Denver the ninth and Alaska, of all teams, the 13th, then I have to wonder how accurate the power rankings really are.

Perhaps you should make an eye doctor appointment.

Doug and Frank discussing "high-sticking"...

Gopher.JPG

Get out the Rat poison and the bb guns. Those things are hard to get rid of.

Actually those look like the ones they have out at the Grand Forks Air Force Base. They dig holes all over the place and they multiply by the hour.

hey, if you are going to pick on the Gophs at least use the right mammal! Those look like PRAIRIE DOGS, not "gophers" or better know as 13 lined ground squirrels. :glare::huh:

WPoS

Upon first glance at that photo I got a chuckle....due to the close proximity to one another it almost appears the one in back is "mounting" the one in front. Nonetheless...pretty good humor - and yes I do believe those look like prairie dogs.

hey, if you are going to pick on the Gophs at least use the right mammal! Those look like PRAIRIE DOGS, not "gophers" or better know as 13 lined ground squirrels. :glare::huh:

WPoS

Does it matter? They are both brown, fat and ugly!!!!! ;) And a menace to the golfing industry. I will wax either breed off the golf course in a given day. :lol:

hey, if you are going to pick on the Gophs at least use the right mammal!  Those look like PRAIRIE DOGS, not "gophers" or better know as 13 lined ground squirrels. :glare:  :huh:

WPoS

You should straighten out that beaver-toothed, squirrel-tailed abomination patrolling your ice while you're at it.

Here's the money quote:

"It's quite a strange phenomenon," he said. "It's not too often people think of gophers affecting gas."

I don't know about that. Every time I walk into Engelstad Arena, I think about how bad the Gophers stunk it up last time they were here. :glare::huh:

WPoS

Having terminated with extreme prejudice countless Richardson's ground squirrels, thirteen-striped gophers, and even a few prairie dogs as a youngster, I would tentatively identify them as Richardson's, which are called flickertails by some and gophers back home. Anyone besides Carl licensed to kill these guys? :lol:

Hey GreyEagle . . . .

Your tag line prompts this question. Why you no list the 1940 AAU Championship?

Why does Mariucci have a banner for the same next to its five NCAA banners?

Will the Gophers take it down if, and I do mean if, the Gophers win another title anytime in the next twenty-five years?

We are all in the "IF" boat. That is why championships won, and banners hung, are so precious. We never know if, and when, any more will ever return.

I'll pay you face value for your Fleet Center tickets right now, my friend, if you've four of them in a row.

The NCAA needs to stop using the PWR and start using the KRACH rankings for determining the NCAA tournament selectees. Maine's easier schedule is not adjusted for in the PWR, and neither is Michigan's.

I'm all for Maine making the NCAAs. What does this mean? EASY WIN. And then the fallout.. The fallout on USCHO is HILARIOUS.

Why does Mariucci have a banner for the same next to its five NCAA banners?

Will the Gophers take it down if, and I do mean if, the Gophers win another title anytime in the next twenty-five years?

The U of M hockey program recognizes the 1940 AAU title, for several reasons in my opinion. :glare:

1. Mariucci was on that team.

2. They went 18-0-0, and won the AAU tourney against collegiate opponents. I knew the teams once, but have forgotten.

3. Sanctioned "NCAA" play was only eight years away. This was likely as good as it got.

The Gopher's 2002 NCAA video mentions being co-National Champions with Yale in 1929, but that year gets no love at Mariucci.

I don't see that banner ever coming down as that team has the namesake of the arena.

The U of M hockey program recognizes the 1940 AAU title, for several reasons in my opinion. :glare:

1. Mariucci was on that team.

2. They went 18-0-0, and won the AAU tourney against collegiate opponents. I knew the teams once, but have forgotten.

3. Sanctioned "NCAA" play was only eight years away. This was likely as good as it got.

The Gopher's 2002 NCAA video mentions being co-National Champions with Yale in 1929, but that year gets no love at Mariucci.

I don't see that banner ever coming down as that team has the namesake of the arena.

No one else recognizes it as it is akin to a club title. However, in pulling up the past champions, you may find this interesting:

Of the past 34 NCAA titles (1970-2003), the WCHA has won 17, the CCHA 7, HE 6 and the ECHA 3. In that period, UND, UM and UW have 5. BU has 4, LSSU 3, and Maine and Michigan 2. In the past 25 years, UND has 5, UM and UW 3, Michigan and Maine have 2 each. In the past 10 years, UND, UM, and Michigan have 2, with Maine, BU, BC and LSSU 1 each.

In the 70's, the WCHA won 6 titles, HE 3 and ECHA 1.

In the 80's, the WCHA won 5, CCHA 3, HE 1 and ECHA 1.

In the 90's, the WCHA won 3, CCHA 4, HE 3.

In 2000, the WCHA 3 and HE 1.

Based on this, it does appear that the WCHA is the dominant conference. Also, if you base this upon championships, UND, UM and UW are the top programs with BU, Michigan, Maine and and LSSU on the heels.