SiouxSports.com Forum

2004 NCC Football Schedules

star2city

My def of nearby is 30 mins.

Thirty minutes? :silly:

1. I guess that means NDSU's proposed travel partner is Bisonfan1234 'nearby' ... times six.

2. Wouldn't that just about preclude travel between Jamestown and Valley City? Depending on traffic and time of day, it may prevent it between Bismarck Century HS and Mandan HS. ;)

Trust me, "thirty minutes" is not a DI-AA definition of "nearby." :lol:

92,96 - My understanding was that the Delta State and Ferris State games were just about finalized and negotiations were continuing with Kutztown.

Again, my source was a pretty good one but until the contracts are signed, you never know!

If this schedule comes to fruition, I don't think too many people will accuse UND of having a weak non-conference schedule:

Mesa St.--10-1 regular season in 2003; RMAC champion; finished year as number one ranked team in the west region.

Delta St.--9-2 in 2003; finished season ranked 9th in south region.

Central Wash.--6-4 in 2003; finished season ranked 8th in the west region.

Ferris St.--6-5 in 2003; finished tied for 4th in GLIAC.

Kutztown--6-5 in 2003.

If this schedule comes to fruition, I don't think too many people will accuse UND of having a weak non-conference schedule:

Mesa St.--10-1 regular season in 2003; RMAC champion; finished year as number one ranked team in the west region.

Kutztown--6-5 in 2003.

Wow,

if that schedule holds up to be true, that would be quite the non-conference schedule. I am excited to see it get finalized. I think Coach Lennon is really going hard to put together a really good non-conference schedule. He seems to be extra-committed this year than he has in the past. I think he is sick of playing UMC also.

I think part of the delay or at least a reason why our schedule hasn't been finalized and announced is that Bubba was the lead-guy in putting together this schedule. Obviously, he wouldn't have been the one negotiating guarantees but he was the one who was contacting schools to determine interest, their open dates, etc.

I think the days of Crookston, etc. are behind us. With only seven NCC schools (meaning six games), finding five really good non-NCC opponents will be a challenge some years so we will likely have a patsy once in a while but the perception (which was reality) that we normally play a weak non-conference schedule will end. Thank God!

With UND's showing this past season I am sure that many teams would be looking to play the Sioux. I doubt that it would hurt you finding some tough D2 competition. It will hurt you playing up a division. I think that NDSU's win over Montana put us at a disadvantage in finding D1AA games (since we count as a D2 opponent for D1AA schools and a D1AA opponenet for D2 schools....go figure). SDSU has had a much easier time finding quality D1AA competition.

With UND's showing this past season I am sure that many teams would be looking to play the Sioux. I doubt that it would hurt you finding some tough D2 competition. It will hurt you playing up a division. I think that NDSU's win over Montana put us at a disadvantage in finding D1AA games (since we count as a D2 opponent for D1AA schools and a D1AA opponenet for D2 schools....go figure). SDSU has had a much easier time finding quality D1AA competition.

I agree with you. The Bison win over Montana was huge for the program, but I think it is hurting them finding DIAA opponents.

As a current I-AA GA, I suspect that the difficulties that NDSU is having finding I-AA games stems from the fact that the nearest I-AA opponent is at least 7-8 hours away (one of the montana schools or N. Iowa). This means that they would have to fly wherever they play and being that it is usually the responsibility of the home team to foot the bill for transportation costs, NDSU isn't exactly a great addition to any team's schedule because of the drain on their budgets (which, as you NDSU fans will soon find out, is a problem at EVERY I-AA school).

UND Vince- do you still use a special keyboard to accomodate your massive fingers?

Sioux'01, I don't think that is the case as SDSU has been able to schedule teams like Georgia Southern with no problem on a home and home type arrangement. I think it is like Couteau said....the Montana win was huge for NDSU, but it is also making us pay the price. Especially since our games won't count as D1AA games for the D1AA schools. My point was that UND will have an easier time finding D2 competition because of 2 things. 1, the games count as a D2 game for D2 competitors and 2, After the NC a couple years ago and the showing this past season, it would look very good to have the Sioux on your schedule. If the folks in administration are making the right calls on scheduling they will dump the Crookstons (and it sounds like that is happening) and schedule some rough non-conference games.

As a current I-AA GA, I suspect that the difficulties that NDSU is having finding I-AA games stems from the fact that the nearest I-AA opponent is at least 7-8 hours away (one of the montana schools or N. Iowa). This means that they would have to fly wherever they play and being that it is usually the responsibility of the home team to foot the bill for transportation costs, NDSU isn't exactly a great addition to any team's schedule because of the drain on their budgets (which, as you NDSU fans will soon find out, is a problem at EVERY I-AA school).

UND Vince- do you still use a special keyboard to accomodate your massive fingers?

Sioux'01,

no i dont have a special keyboard anymore. i had them whittled down a bit. keep it up though, and i'll come down to that poor excuse of a DI-AA school, and take out your other achilles. :silly:

I agree that UND was fed up with playing the crookstons. However I also think they were somewhat forced to find good opponents. With the number dwindling in the NCC and loosing some of the good teams, combined with other schools playing good competition, I think it hurts rankings, etc. Also you want your players at a certain level heading into the playoffs, and that wouldnt happen playing 6 crookstons.

Here's the Upper Iowa schedule, as they are playing a few teams from the region (and 3 from the NCC):

8/28 at Missouri-Rolla Rolla, Mo. TBA

9/4 Wisconsin-Oshkosh Fayette TBA

9/11 William Penn Fayette TBA

9/18 at Southwest Minnesota State Marshall, Minn. TBA

9/25 at Minnesota-Duluth Duluth, Minn. TBA

10/2 St. Joseph's Fayette TBA

10/9 Waldorf (Homecoming) Fayette TBA

10/16 at Minnesota-Mankato Mankato, Minn. TBA

10/23 South Dakota Fayette TBA

11/6 at Drake Des Moines, Iowa TBA

From the looks upper Iowa must be struggling as well. To be IAA and have Southwest State, Duluth, Mankato, Waldorf, and Oshkosh on your schedule, isnt very impressive in my mind. I would think Bubba wouldnt schedule them either, unless it would get a W.

Upper Iowa is a prov DII.. Northern Iowa is IAA

Kutztown--6-5 in 2003.

sounds like delta state, central washington and mesa state are done deals for next year. Delta would just be a one game thing for next season, for the home opener. Central Washington will be a home and away, with the home game being next year. And im not sure about the Mesa St. contracts, but I know they will be here next year. Sounds like Ferris St. will be the 11th game next year. It will be a home and home, which is nice. So, as of right now, 8 home games scheduled for next season, with 3 road games. Already looking forward to it. Kutztown, i believe, is out of the picture.

sounds like delta state, central washington and mesa state are done deals for next year.  Delta would just be a one game thing for next season, for the home opener.  Central Washington will be a home and away, with the home game being next year.  And im not sure about the Mesa St. contracts, but I know they will be here next year.  Sounds like Ferris St. will be the 11th game next year.  It will be a home and home, which is nice.  So, as of right now, 8 home games scheduled for next season, with 3 road games.  Already looking forward to it.  Kutztown, i believe, is out of the picture.

If Kutztown is out, that would apparently mean we are still looking for one more game, or else we'll have a 10-game schedule again next year, which I hope is not the case. Six NCC games plus Central Wash., Mesa, Delta and Ferris would be 10.

From the looks upper Iowa must be struggling as well. To be IAA and have Southwest State, Duluth, Mankato, Waldorf, and Oshkosh on your schedule, isnt very impressive in my mind. I would think Bubba wouldnt schedule them either, unless it would get a W.

Upper Iowa University Peacocks was a division three team that is moving up to Divsion II. They were a member of the IIAC, a conference that included Luther College, Wartburg College, Simpson College, Central College, William Penn, and Buena Vista College, Dubuque College, these are the schools that I can remember off of the top of my heard.

Upper Iowa University Peacocks was a division three team that is moving up to Divsion II. They were a member of the IIAC, a conference that included Luther College, Wartburg College, Simpson College, Central College, William Penn, and Buena Vista College, Dubuque College, these are the schools that I can remember off of the top of my heard.

Peacocks? Oh my I can even hear the chants and taunts starting now. :)

Peacocks? Oh my I can even hear the chants and taunts starting now. :)

Actually I can admit that I played football for them in 1990. UIU is not known for being a football powerhouse. I am surprised that this school is even making the move up to Division II since they weren't that competative at the Division III level. Enrollment is about 550 students...