SiouxSports.com Forum

2004 NCC Football Schedules

star2city

From the Mankato Website, the first NCC schedule has been released. No surprise that the UND-Mankato game is at the Alerus. Having both Northern Iowa and Upper Iowa on their schedule is an eye-opener, but then MSU probably has no illusions about getting in the playoffs as those two games will kill their point ratings. They've also been loading up on JC transfers, based on another of their releases.

2004 Minnesota State Footall Schedule

Date Opponent Time Location

Aug. 25 Bemidji State 6:30 p.m. Mankato, Minn.

Sept. 4 Oklahoma Panhandle State TBA Goodwell, Okla.

Sept. 11 Northern Iowa TBA Cedar Falls, Iowa

Sept. 18 Concordia (St. Paul) 6:30 p.m. Mankato, Minn.

Sept. 25 St. Cloud State* 1:00 p.m. St. Cloud, Minn.

Oct. 2 Minnesota Duluth* 6:00 p.m. Duluth, Minn.

Oct. 9 South Dakota!* 1:00 p.m. Mankato, Minn.

Oct. 16 Upper Iowa 1:00 p.m. Mankato, Minn.

Oct. 23 North Dakota* TBA Grand Forks, N.D.

Oct. 30 Augustana* 1:00 p.m. Mankato, Minn.

Nov. 6 Nebrasaka-Omaha* Noon Mankato, Minn.

If we got equal or greater play-off "points" for playing a d1aa team i would LOVE to see the Soiux play the likes of n. iowa, ndsu, sdsu, n. colorado, etc. every year. But every year the goals are the same, in order 1) win the ncc 2) make the play-offs 3) be nat. champs . If playing only d2 teams increases our play-off chances then that becomes the only logical path to take.

Actually, I is the roman numeral 1.

Ok, I'll admit that nomenclature is a pet peeve of mine (surprise).  The NCAA (not nCaA) specifically voted for roman numerals and proper respect is shown by typing it correctly...I-AA. 

Bison I II III IV

This is from the person that runs the I-AA site.

It was hoped that UND could release their schedule before recruiting was complete as it should be quite appealing and could entice a couple of key recruits to come our way. However, it appears that we haven't been able to finalize a few issues. Hopefully, it will be soon!

I am the one who started the "rumor" here that we may have as many as 8 home games.  It appears that we have 7 for sure and we are working on an 8th.

UND Fan:

Does that mean that among Delta State, Ferris St. and Kutztown St. (the teams you had mentioned in an earlier post), there are confirmed games with two of them, and negotiations are ongoing with the other team?

Nearby?

3.5 hours from Mankato to Cedar Falls. I guess Minneapolis is nearby Fargo. :silly:

In terms of fan willingness to travel for a sporting event, Minneapolis is incredibly near Fargo. A lot of Sioux fans travel from Grand Forks to Minneapolis, St Cloud, and Mankato for games. Far fewer travel to Houghton or Denver.

Personally, I consider a 3 hour drive a trivial trip to watch a sporting event that I want to see. When it starts to break 5-6, then it's something I have to plan for because it probably involves a little more formal time off work, etc...

My thoughts when I saw a MSU-Mankato @ UNI game:

UNI got a "cheap date" (low guarantee, a home game, and nearby MSU-M fans that may travel to Waterloo/Cedar Falls for the game).

MSU-M has football fans :silly: hopefully they don't start a riot when they lose

Nearby?

3.5 hours from Mankato to Cedar Falls. I guess Minneapolis is nearby Fargo. :silly:

Mankato to Cedar Falls - 194 miles

Fargo to Brookings - 190 miles

Gee, that's "travel partner" distance so it must be "nearby."

And talking "distance", two other DI-AAs just so "1234" understands "nearby":

Fargo to Cedar Falls (UNI) - 450 miles

Fargo to Missoula (UMontana) - 950 miles

That ain't "nearby."

My def of nearby is 30 mins.

That's me, it differs person to person.

Well, that definition pretty much precludes fans attending ANY road games, so is not particularly germane to the discussion about schools trying to schedule "nearby" road games. In large cities, home games probably wouldn't even be "nearby", by that definition.

Back on topic, here's USD. It's not particularly impressive:

Aug 28  at Truman State (Stokes Stadium, Kirksville, Mo.)  TBA
Sep 4  Peru State (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.)  TBA
Sep 11  Minnesota State, Moorhead (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.)  TBA
Sep 18  Wisconsin-LaCrosse (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.)  TBA
Sep 25  at Nebraska-Omaha * (Al F. Caniglia Field, Omaha, Neb.)  TBA
Oct 2  Augustana * (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.) (Dakota Days)  2 p.m.
Oct 9  at Minnesota State, Mankato (Blakslee Stadium, Mankato, Minn.)  TBA
Oct 16  St. Cloud State (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.)  TBA
Oct 22  at Upper Iowa (Eischeid Stadium, Fayette, Iowa)  TBA
Oct 30  Minnesota-Duluth (DakotaDome, Vermillion, S.D.)  TBA
Nov 6  at North Dakota (Alerus Center, Grand Forks, N.D.)  TBA[/code]

Even any remote chance that USD had for the playoff's is being blown by the games with DivIII Wis-LaCrosse and provisional Div II Upper Iowa. Apparently, NCC vs Great Northwest games do not start until 2005.

I highly doubt playing an NAIA school (Peru State) would help their chances, either. :silly: