SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Joins WAC... Again

GeauxSioux

http://www.wacsports...TCLID=207683462

The Western Athletic Conference today announced that it will add the sport of men’s swimming and diving beginning with the 2013-14 season.

Next year’s WAC membership includes three full-time members that sponsor men’s swimming and diving; CSU Bakersfield, Grand Canyon and Seattle. Joining these schools will be affiliate members Air Force, UNLV, North Dakota and Wyoming giving the WAC seven teams in 2013-14. North Dakota is already a women’s swimming and diving affiliate member.

With Oakland leaving, the SL is down to 5 full DI members (EIU, WIU, SDSU, USD, IUPUI), and yet they couldn't lure UND to join. I think this should close the door on UND ever joining the SL in any sport especially basketball.

With Oakland leaving, the SL is down to 5 full DI members (EIU, WIU, SDSU, USD, IUPUI), and yet they couldn't lure UND to join. I think this should close the door on UND ever joining the SL in any sport especially basketball.

If the Summit makes offers that can save UND money in non-revenue sports, it'd be worth listening to.

If the Summit makes offers that can save UND money in non-revenue sports, it'd be worth listening to.

It does not look like UND and the Summit are talking. In the past three months UND has joined the WAC in two sports that the Summit offers and in which they could have used affiliates. Granted Summit S/D doesn't NEED members, but baseball does. UND is solidifying conference memberships and affiliations. Walking away from those commitments is not likely at this point.

For 2013-2014

Big Sky for all sports except as listed below...

Men's Hockey - NCHC

Women't Hockey - WCHA

Baseball - WAC

Mens and Womens S/D - WAC

Mens Golf - America Sky

For 2013-2014

Men's Hockey - NCHC

Women't Hockey - WCHA

Baseball - WAC

Mens Golf - America Sky

Looks good to me.

For 2013-2014

Men's Hockey - NCHC

Women't Hockey - WCHA

Baseball - WAC

Mens Golf - America Sky

While I have not seen any official word from the Big Sky, I am assuming that the BSC will begin sponsoring men's golf in 2014-15 when Idaho joins. That would be six Big Sky teams in UNC, UND, Sac State, S. Utah, Weber State and Idaho. The closest thing I have seen to confirmation of this is in the press release when Idaho announced they were joining the BSC and HERE:

The University of Idaho, a charter member of the Big Sky Conference, will return for all sports but football on July 1, 2014.

The more sports we can get under the Big Sky and WAC banners the better.
  • Upvote 2