SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 season

gfhockey

We are probably going to be able to judge the current state of UND football by comparing our season to USD's. USD played at NAU earlier this year, and lost a competitive game 22-16. They also beat future UND opponent UC-Davis 10-7. Next week, they host Montana, and the week after they host SDSU. USD is currently leading #10 Youngstown St. 17-13 in the first half in Vermillion.

We are probably going to be able to judge the current state of UND football by comparing our season to USD's. USD played at NAU earlier this year, and lost a competitive game 22-16. They also beat future UND opponent UC-Davis 10-7. Next week, they host Montana, and the week after they host SDSU. USD is currently leading #10 Youngstown St. 17-13 in the first half in Vermillion.

Who here would have ever guessed that of the 5 NCC schools that moved to DI last decade that UND would wind up having the worst football team?

How did USD turn it around so quickly?

They smartly cut ties with Meierkort (now out of coaching altogether), and hired a proven winner, albeit one who probably won't coach too much longer.

Even last year in USD's 1-10 season, there were a lot of competitive losses, even while playing a qb who was as poor of passer as you'll see at the collegiate level.

didn't they get a new coach?

Yes, they hired Joe Glenn following the 2011 season. It's an interesting point because there are many things about that hire that UND and Faison should also focus on when hiring a new FB coach. First, Glenn is a South Dakota alumnus. Secondly, he had success as a head coach elsewhere. He led DII Northern Colorado to national championships and later Montana to a national championship.

UND needs to hire someone with some form of head coach experience. I like Bubba Schweigart a lot. Of course, getting Lennon back would be preferable but that won't happen. Ultimately, I have no problem with the hire not being a former UND coach, as long as he is passionate for UND athletics, academics, and the community, along with being a proven leader at the HC level somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

Yes, they hired Joe Glenn following the 2011 season. It's an interesting point because there are many things about that hire that UND and Faison should also focus on when hiring a new FB coach. First, Glenn is a South Dakota alumnus. Secondly, he had success as a head coach elsewhere. He led DII Northern Colorado to national championships and later Montana to a national championship.

UND needs to hire someone with some form of head coach experience. I like Bubba Schweigart a lot. Of course, getting Lennon back would be preferable but that won't happen. Ultimately, I have no problem with the hire not being a former UND coach, as long as he is passionate for UND athletics, academics, and the community, along with being a proven leader at the HC level somewhere else.

Bingo. We need someone who is proven, they don't need to be 65 years old but they do need to be a proven winner and motivator.

Even though it seems nobody wants to even entertain the idea of Lennon returning, is it really completely out of the question? When he left, as hard as it may have been to accept at the time, it made sense. He got a healthy pay raise, and it gave him a better chance to climb the coaching ladder, a la Brian Kelly. Did it work out? No, not really. But it made sense at the time, and he's made good money for an FCS coach. And just because he hasn't been able to replicate the success he had at UND at SIU, that doesn't mean he's not a great head coach. Joe Glenn struggled too at times.

At this point in Lennon's career, he's got maybe 10-12 years left. Frankly, it's probably too late for him to realistically succeed at a level necessary to climb the ladder. So the question becomes--where would he rather be living/coaching for the next decade? Is he really happy at SIU? Is that really the right fit for him? Could he lead UND back to where it was during the glory years? Is there anybody else out there who would be a "safer" choice for UND?

I realize that for a variety of reasons, Lennon's return is doubtful. But it would make some sense. And it shouldn't be completely out of the question that UND's next coach is a current FCS head coach.

Even though it seems nobody wants to even entertain the idea of Lennon returning, is it really completely out of the question? When he left, as hard as it may have been to accept at the time, it made sense. He got a healthy pay raise, and it gave him a better chance to climb the coaching ladder, a la Brian Kelly. Did it work out? No, not really. But it made sense at the time, and he's made good money for an FCS coach. And just because he hasn't been able to replicate the success he had at UND at SIU, that doesn't mean he's not a great head coach. Joe Glenn struggled too at times.

At this point in Lennon's career, he's got maybe 10-12 years left. Frankly, it's probably too late for him to realistically succeed at a level necessary to climb the ladder. So the question becomes--where would he rather be living/coaching for the next decade? Is he really happy at SIU? Is that really the right fit for him? Could he lead UND back to where it was during the glory years? Is there anybody else out there who would be a "safer" choice for UND?

I realize that for a variety of reasons, Lennon's return is doubtful. But it would make some sense. And it shouldn't be completely out of the question that UND's next coach is a current FCS head coach.

The return of the stache

u ever see musman at the bar?

only coaches I have seen from the football staff at the bar was benny boyd and he was at parrots cay drinking water

dale and bubba always use to come out for a few after the games...

hak is known for showing up to southgate or wild hogs after games...

roebuck was a regular at el rocco.

only coaches I have seen from the football staff at the bar was benny boyd and he was at parrots cay drinking water

I remember someone saying they saw a lot of the coaches at a bar after the Montana game. Not sure who it was. I also don't remember the bar.

Not that your credibility was ever all that solid to begin with, but...

All the coaching staff was partying it up ar playmakers last nite...laughing and just buzzed up.....sure like the fire they have!

where did I say I saw them there?

I was informed they were there by sources.

Yoru post didn't say that someone else saw them, it was inferring that you saw them out. Regardless, you post about them being at the bar and make it sound like a bad thing and then a few weeks later post that they aren't ever at the bar and make that seem like a bad thing. Not that it really matters whether the coaching staff goes out and has a drink or two, but just wanted to make sure people knew how seriously to take your posts.