SiouxSports.com Forum

Who will be our brick wall?

01grad

It seems that this is a topic that we haven't discussed for awhile. I just wanted to know if Blais is starting to think about playing one goalie more than the other yet? Anybody hear? I know it is tough because one has more experience and a better save percentage, but the other has a better won-loss record. It seems that he is still going to be rotating them until one has a good outing and they earn the right to play 2 in a row. Just wanted to see if anybody has heard, I was just curious.

I would have to say Brandt down the road too, but I believe that it is true that some goalies tend to get better play in front and luck to win, such may be the case for Parise. I just don't think that he would make the big saves as Brandt might down the stretch. This is why it is important to look at goals against and save percentage because you don't know how long you will average almost 5 goals a game for your team.

I just wanted to know if anybody had heard how Blais was planning on playing these two goalies and what point in the season he sticks with one? I would think that if Brandt starts Friday and plays solid, he will and should play on Saturday.

I used to go and watch practices and it was easy to see which goalies looked better and were involved more preparing for the weekend. I don't know if they let people into the new arena to watch still, but one goalie would usually stay around and take in more practice (Karl G. when I watched, but this might just be him and his tough work ethic and not a preview of who was minding the net in the upcoming weekend)

I was at the Ralph a couple weeks ago delivering something to the main office and I saw that the doors were open so I went and watched a little bit of practice. It wasn't a team practice, but a practice for the power play units. The goalie who was there taking shots (aka...extra practice) was none other than Jordan Parise.

As for the who will be our brick wall question, I think that its Brandt for sure. I'm kind of unsettled on Nate Ziegelmann though, the kid should get a chance to start a WCHA game rather than just an exhibition. Maybe this weekend at Tech would be the perfect time to see what he could do.... :glare:

I don't forsee Blais turning to one goaltender over another until there is solid reason to do so. All recent play aside, JPar still is undefeated in the 10 or 11 games he's played thus far. Not bad. He's also been tested in goal against BC, SCSU, and others and came away with, at worst, a tie. Brandt is more solid fundamentally, but JPar is doing too good to bench.

Heck folks, if both goales are good, why not rotate? It worked last season for the Wild and still, Wild goaltending is the only thing going well for the Wild this season.

I just don't know what is going to happen to Ziggy or even Lammy when he gets here next season.

I think that after the past couple of seasons, we should be DAMN thankful that we do have two reliable goal tenders, and a very capable third in Ziggy. Let them rotate and let their play determine if they stay in the rotation. I think the team feels pretty confident in front of them and it tends to show in their defensive zone play and shot blocking. :glare:

The Sioux have a solid goalie combo. I don't think Parise is anywhere near Brandt, but certainly a solid backup. He never loses.

It is very important Parise plays now, so that when March rolls in Brandt can go every game and not be fatigued.

This is what worries me most about the Gophers. They need the wins desparately, so Briggs is going to play almost every game. Will he show fatigue in either the WCHA playoffs or NCAAs. Or will Lucia just keep rolling Johnson out there every fourth game and results be damned.

I say Brandt is the guy down the stretch. No Jordan has not lost yet, but I just think that Brandt is more poised, and has more experience. I still am not comfortable when Jordan decides to "play the puck". Nobody knows what he is going to do with it......half the time he gives it to the other team, or ices it.

I think Jake is ready to take on the load of being the #1 Goalie....Jordan is a very adequate backup if he doesn't get the job done.

It's going to get interesting next year when Lamoureux shows up. Him and Ziggy have been battling/competing against each other for 2 years while in Lincoln. Both are capable goalies and if they renew their competiveness against eachother, Blais might have some tough decisions to make.

I think we have a very fortunate situation in having Parise. Because he isn't as good of a puck handler and handles too much, I'd like to see Brandt. Though Parise doesn't flop around as much. I too, would like to see what Ziggy could do, but with as tight as the WCHA is, it's hard at this point to sit our top two to give Ziggy a chance. I do believe that at some poing he needs to be playing Brandt every game to get him playoff ready. Though come playoffs, you ride the hot goalie. Even the Wild did this come playoff time.

Everyone is saying that Brandt has a lot of poise and stuff such like that. Of course! Because Brandt has more experience in DI hockey. That's why I'm so impressed with Parise. He's nearly at the same poise as Brandt and he's only a freshman. No, he's not Brandt yet, but you have to admit that he's showing us tremendous potential.

Nevertheless, Brandt will be the man in the NCAAs.