SiouxSports.com Forum

impact of new conference on TV broadcast

Anderson2200

Does anyone have information on if and how the new conference will impact who broadcasts UND hockey games next season? I am a Cable One customer in Fargo only because South Fargo doesn't allow us to subscribe to Midco.

Any info would be great..

UND will have a handful of games nationally televised on CBS Sports network. The rest of the home games will continue to be televised by Midco Sports Network.

If Cable One carries those two channels, you'll be in good shape.

Does Cable one get CBS college sports

Nope....and I'm guessing next season they won't pick up midco's feed so we can see the games.. They didn't this season because I have to pay them and extra 10.00 per month to get FCS channels... Anything to pi$$ a customer off, they make sure to do it!!

It's because the conference has a contract for exclusive national broadcast rights with CBS College Sports. I believe the FCS deal with UND is done after this year.

Dumb move on UND's or the conferences' part because from what I can see on DirecTV's website, I have to pay for the highest package they have ($87/mo) to even get CBS College Sports. We were the #1 most followed North American team during the lockout/ #4 globally (so I heard). Regardless, it's BS that we have crap for coverage 75 miles down the road.

Dumb move on UND's part ..........................

Understatement of the year..................

By all accounts, UND has chosen to "take one for the team" allowing the NCHC to broker the TV deal with apparently little input from UND. UND is going to move forward relying heavily on web-based platforms for broadcasting hockey.

It seems equally dumb that Cable One and Midco can't work something out to get Midco Sports Net on Cable One's lineup though.

Dumb move on UND's or the conferences' part because from what I can see on DirecTV's website, I have to pay for the highest package they have ($87/mo) to even get CBS College Sports. We were the #1 most followed North American team during the lockout/ #4 globally (so I heard). Regardless, it's BS that we have crap for coverage 75 miles down the road.

And the problem with that is, if you do pay the higher directtv price, you'll get just a few (<5 games) on CBSSports. The rest will be shown only on midcosportsnet; unless directtv/dish pay to add midcosportsnet (not holding breath on that one), we won't see much of the Sioux

Understatement of the year..................

By all accounts, UND has chosen to "take one for the team" allowing the NCHC to broker the TV deal with apparently little input from UND. UND is going to move forward relying heavily on web-based platforms for broadcasting hockey.

It seems equally dumb that Cable One and Midco can't work something out to get Midco Sports Net on Cable One's lineup though.

Ironic that I will get more games in Montana (between CBS and the games UND is in Denver) than some people who live within spitting distance of GF...what's wrong with that picture?

Ironic that I will get more games in Montana (between CBS and the games UND is in Denver) than some people who live within spitting distance of GF...what's wrong with that picture?

I assume that Denver will be able to keep their deal with Root Sports in place, because that is "regional" network rather than "national" like FCS.

The best case scenario is that the Big Ten Network takes all the Gopher games to bolster their programming, leaving Fox North with a need for new content. Then they would likely look at covering Sioux games, and it would be "regional" network so CBSSN couldn't complain. But I think they've already said that a good amount of Gopher games will remain on Fox North for the foreseeable future.

I assume that Denver will be able to keep their deal with Root Sports in place, because that is "regional" network rather than "national" like FCS.

The best case scenario is that the Big Ten Network takes all the Gopher games to bolster their programming, leaving Fox North with a need for new content. Then they would likely look at covering Sioux games, and it would be "regional" network so CBSSN couldn't complain. But I think they've already said that a good amount of Gopher games will remain on Fox North for the foreseeable future.

No different than UND's deal with Midco. What I am curious about though is if Midco owns these rights to broadcast games what keeps them from selling them to FCS? Are their broadcast rights limited to a geographical area? From looking at Denver's schedule Root only carried 6 game all season. It will be internet city next year.

2 thoughts...

1 - Is there any chance that we see a scheduling arangment between UND and CBSs that is somewhat like Root/Montana's football deal? Perhaps half of the CBS games could be UND games, given the fact that we gave up national coverage and have a larger following than the other schools?

2- Any chance Direct TV adds Midco when they go HD?

What I am curious about though is if Midco owns these rights to broadcast games what keeps them from selling them to FCS? Are their broadcast rights limited to a geographical area?

The conference's deal with CBS is exclusive on a national scale, meaning that no games between NCHC teams can be on another "national" network. FCS is a "national" network. Midco can is "regional", so they can sell their production to the small cable companies in the area, but not to a network like FCS, NBCSN, ESPNU, NHLN, etc............

I suppose UND could still try to get Midco produced games against non-conference opponents on a different national netwok.

2 thoughts...

1 - Is there any chance that we see a scheduling arangment between UND and CBSs that is somewhat like Root/Montana's football deal? Perhaps half of the CBS games could be UND games, given the fact that we gave up national coverage and have a larger following than the other schools?

2- Any chance Direct TV adds Midco when they go HD?

I'm really hoping for #2. Anybody have any insight as to whether this may or may not happen?

I'm really hoping for #2. Anybody have any insight as to whether this may or may not happen?

All any fans can do is ask directtv/dish to add midcosportsnet to the sports paks. Many have can will continue to do so, the numbers will likely increase next year when there is no FCS for ND hockey. So far, the answer from the sat tv companies is, "we have no plans to add it at this time, we'll add your request to our files"

The conference's deal with CBS is exclusive on a national scale, meaning that no games between NCHC teams can be on another "national" network. FCS is a "national" network. Midco can is "regional", so they can sell their production to the small cable companies in the area, but not to a network like FCS, NBCSN, ESPNU, NHLN, etc............

I suppose UND could still try to get Midco produced games against non-conference opponents on a different national netwok.

Kind of what I thought. Next question though is there anything that would prevent Midco from signing a deal with Direct?

2 thoughts...

I have no inside knowledge of course, but I'll speculate that the CBSSN menu will include a somewhat heavy diet of UND and Denver games. Probably not quite how Root has a Montana school participating in every single telecast, but these are the two "name" programs in the conference and have followings that set themselves apart from the rest of the league.

Still, we'll be going from 20 or so nationally televised games, to maybe 6 to 8?