SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Coaches Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches how. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or US College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

Live from Lola's Authentic Northern Italian Restaurant in beautiful downtown Grand Forks. Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman are the hosts with UND head coach Dean Blais.

TH opens the show saying that the Sioux are now unanimous No. 1 team in the nation and have been No. 1 for the past several weeks.

Blais said that after Friday

Edited by PCM

Blais didn't mention the composition of any lines other than those two. My guess is that Prpich, McMahon and Fylling will be the third line. The fourth line is anyone's guess. Blais talked about the Marvin, Palmiscno and Hale line not playing much at SCSU, but he didn't say whether they'd be together for the UAA series.

I should also mention that Zach, Brady and Drew were interviewed for the 6 p.m. WDAZ-TV newscast tonight. One thing Zach said about the World Juniors is that his leg (I assume he meant his knee) felt better than it had in a long time.

I wonder if that has contributed more to his reduced scoring in the NCAA than anyone thought. If so, it should be very interesting to see him back to full speed against UAA.

I'm glad somebody brought up Drew's facial hair. I'm a big fan of his and all but the facial hair really needs to go. I like the fact that Blais made it an apparent fact that Zach, Drew, and Brady aren't back to carry the team. Cuz we all know that they can pull together , even without their top scorers. I think that the Palmo,Hale,Marvin line should be the 4th line, those three are showing a real chemistry that is working for them. As for putting Porter with Genoway and Bochenski, I feel it would be better to have Fylling with them. They seem to work together better.

Well, great recap again, PCM.

At least now, next time we play SCSU, we know who to point the finger at. Saigo is off the hook on this one (at least superficially).

Question is: Who would be our first and who would be our second line? Bochenski isn't a second liner by any means, but neither is Murray, Parise, and I think even Stafford is proving he's a first liner on any other team.

Wow, Folks. These times I'd definitely say it would be tough to be Dean. Too many good players, too few slots to place them

Question is: Who would be our first and who would be our second line? Bochenski isn't a second liner by any means, but neither is Murray, Parise, and I think even Stafford is proving he's a first liner on any other team.

I would start the Parise-Murray-Stafford line just so that they get the recognition from the Ralph crowd. Knowing Blais, we'll see how long these lines are left like this! :p

And, thanks again PCM!! :ohmy:

Start the gold medal players.

If the Sioux open a nice lead, I wonder if Blais will rest the gold medal line. Almost play them as more of a fourth line. Maybe they'll be left off the PP as well. Might not be a bad idea with all the hockey they've played.

Start the gold medal players.

If the Sioux open a nice lead, I wonder if Blais will rest the gold medal line. Almost play them as more of a fourth line. Maybe they'll be left off the PP as well. Might not be a bad idea with all the hockey they've played.

I don't understand the logic your taking in suggesting that we not play these guys that much, your talking about 18-19 year old kids. I don't see it happening. If I am not mistaken Stafford is barely 18. This isn't the NHL were teams rarely play more than three nights in a row. You have to go with your best players. Those three are 3 of the top 4 players on our team. I am sure if Zach can play with a bum knee he can play after playing 5 or 6 games in 10 days. They got a lot of time to rest up too next week...

I hope that Blais goes with the line of Porter-Bochenski-Genoway. Porter is someone who I thought played out of his mind on Saturday in St. Cloud. I was watching from my standing room spot...and just when I mentioned how great I thought he was playing he went down hurt. Turns out he played the rest of the game leading me to believe it was a case of getting the wind knocked out of him. I think he is outstanding at protecting the puck and using his strength to create great chances...so if they do go with that combo...Cheerio.

I don't understand the logic your taking in suggesting that we not play these guys that much, your talking about 18-19 year old kids. I don't see it happening. If I am not mistaken Stafford is barely 18. This isn't the NHL were teams rarely play more than three nights in a row. You have to go with your best players. Those three are 3 of the top 4 players on our team. I am sure if Zach can play with a bum knee he can play after playing 5 or 6 games in 10 days. They got a lot of time to rest up too next week...

I go with this, because even the players have said they are jet lagged. Plus Parise said that the WJT is the most physically demanding hockey he's played. He also has mentioned that he got fatigued at the end of last year. The WCHA is a very physical league. After two games in a weekend, I'd bet most of these guys need most of the week to refresh. Look at the poor saps that play three games in the Final Five and then end up playing like crap come the NCAAs.

While they looked great on Friday, Murray said they were tired in the third period. I have no doubt they'd play their hardest, but if we are winning big, why not give them a rest? I'm not looking at next week, I'm looking at the rest of the year. These players didn't get the extra break time that all the other players got.

They should even more tired after having Sea Wolves players drapped all over them all weekend.

Do coaches teach their players in practice to hook, hold, slash, tackle. I mean I can't believe a coach would sit at the black board during films and say, this weekend we are playing UND the number one ranked team in the nation. We want you to be drapped all over them. Slash them hook them, hold them... I have watched probably 50 NHL games this season and I have yet to see this type of hockey.

Scary, isn't it, that not until ZP is with NJ will he be able to skate without carrying someone.

I watched the Championship game of the WJC and they called all of this stuff. I think that is Zach was able to be the top player in the tourney. I think Zach will shine in the second half because our team is so deep... The opposing teams have to worry about three lines so its going to be more difficult to play UND this way, and I think UND will get the benifit of being on the PP if teams play UND this way...