SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs UNC 12/21

SWSiouxMN

The Big Sky Debute for UND did not go as planned. Despite a very good performance at the free throw line (28-35 80%), UND could not get it going on the offensive end and fell to SUU on the road. UND looks to regroup and look to finally play some good ball as they take on former NCC rival Northern Colorado at the Betty. Tip off is at 7:05 PM

HOW TO WATCH/LISTEN

This game will be on Midco Sports and will also be on Big Sky TV. And will be on your respective radio stations in the UND radio network

HISTORY

This will be the 60th meeting of all time against these two schools, with UND having the advantage 40-19. These two schools last clashed in 2009 with UNC coming on top 87-69.

ABOUT THE UNC BEARS (2-6, 0-0)

The Bears are coached by BJ Hill (3rd Season). UNC put itself on the map 2 years ago when it won the Big Sky Championship over Montana and made the NCAAs, after a down year losing all of that talent last year, UNC has organized a team that can be a sleeper pick in the Sky. While they don't have 1 dynamic player, they are a very good team. For the current season, like most Big Sky teams, they haven't been able to get the non-conference wins. They have played 1 common opponent in playing UNI, and they lost 76-59 at UNI. A lot of people have the feeling that UNC has kinda underachived that this point of the season, but that can be put all aside with a strong start to the conference.

KEY PLAYERS

#5 6-2 G Tevin Svihovec SO (11.1 PPG, 2.7 APG, 2.9 TPG .426 FG%)

This young Sophomore from deep in the heart of Texas had gotten off to a nice start to his campaign, but since his DNP against Witchita State, his return against Tabor wasn't quite what he had in mind. Currently, the guard is making his hay inside the arch. He has only taken 10 3 pointers during the season so far. Halfway decent shooter from the line so we need to keep him off the line if possible.

Has had some foul trouble early on in the season, but has since fixed that. Like young guards, he has his moments with the ball, but then has just been wild.

#15 6-4 G Tate Unruh JR (9.8 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 1.3 SPG .364 3P%)

This is my kind of kid right here, he does most of his damage from the 3 point line. Out of the 76 shots he has taken this year, 55 of them have been from behind the arch. He has struggled in his past 2 games, but when this kid is on, it will make UNC tough to stop. While he isn't a head turner on the boards, he can be a sneaky rebound guy in which he can get 3,4,5 boards a game. He does not get to the line at all, so it tells me he is a guy that will run around and look to shoot the 3. We need to keep this guy cold.

#1 6-5 F Derrick Barden JR (9.6 PPG, 6.9 RPG, .500 FG%, .550 FT%)

This JUCO transfer has made his impact quite well for this UNC squad. He is a very good rebounder given his size. He has had games where he has gotten 9, 9, even 14 boards this year. Not only has been been good on the boards, he has chipped in on offense as well. He put his best game against nationally ranked Witchita State going 19 and 14. Has also put up a couple of 3 pointers so we need to watch that. He has done a good job this season in staying out of foul trouble, which is benefitting UNC right now. He has struggled from the line so far this year. We need to keep a body on this guy at all times.

KEYS TO THE GAME

1) Rebounding: Seriously now, we need to have a game where we just kill someone on the boards. Everyone needs to be called out, lets beat these guys on the boards by 10+. Basic Box Out, get on the floor, scrap for every board mentality.

2) Webb/Anderson: Its time for you guys to step up your game. Webb you need to be smart and be a floor general. You need to start stepping up your game or else I could see you sitting for Anderson. Anderson, you need to pick your battles when it comes to driving. I would love to see you hit a couple 3's as well. I would love to see both Webb and Anderson combined have 12+ assists and under 4 TOs combined.

3) Free Throws: You guys have showed improvement so far, but you need to keep the pace. If we can get that shooting performance or something similar to SUU, we will be just fine.

4) Shooters: Schuler and Antwi cannot be quiet in this game, we need these guys to shoot some shots. Do not be afraid to be a little selfish with the ball.

5) Traylor: Keep this up man, you got a little swagger to yourself. I wonder if Jones decides to start him on Friday

I know its way to early to declare this a must win, oh screw it, this is a must win. We need this game badly if we are going to save some face in the conference race.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt this is a must win cause league favorite Montana is next and the possiblity of being 0-3 would not be good.

Actually, @Idaho St. is our third conference game (Jan. 3), and @Weber St. is after that (Jan. 5). Montana is our next home conference game (Jan. 10)

Actually, @Idaho St. is our third conference game (Jan. 3), and @Weber St. is after that (Jan. 5). Montana is our next home conference game (Jan. 10)

OOPS, somehow I missed those games. Its even more of a must win cause those 2 games are on the road before the Montana game and we all know how we play on the road these past several years. UGH

OOPS, somehow I missed those games. Its even more of a must win cause those 2 games are on the road before the Montana game and we all know how we play on the road these past several years. UGH

I would hope by at point we would have Huff or Brekke or both back. If our resident insider could shed a little bit more light on both situation, that would be very greatful.

That is huge, and I wonder if that means we will more than likely see his return next week when they play BGSU

I would think it will take him a few weeks to get into game shape and play quality minutes. He did lose 20 points so I would think his quality minutes may start with the road trip to Idaho St. and Weber.

My DirecTV guide shows this as an upcoming event on the Fox College Sports Channel. Does anyone know if FCS is actually picking this game up? I thought they only planned to carry hockey this year...

It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility...FCS picked up at least one of the volleyball games televised by Midco.

My DirecTV guide shows this as an upcoming event on the Fox College Sports Channel. Does anyone know if FCS is actually picking this game up? I thought they only planned to carry hockey this year...

Channel 306 for Cable One here in Fargo. Its about damn time!!!!