SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon, question on the Pattyn no goal

Emerald joker

Hey Goon, I read your little piece about you sent to the WCHA office and I know how much we don't like big daddy Sh*thead and I know he probably doesn't like us but how can he possible call that a no goal? So what he's pretty much saying is that the refs can pretty much take a goal away from a team if they want to. It feels like all the Sioux can do is deal with it and keep trying which gets really annoying. Obviously the Sioux havn't been playing that well on Saturday nights and sometimes it's their fault I didn't watch the game on Saturday but I listened to it and saw some of the clips. I didnt realize that it was Leblanc and Schmaltz apparently checked from behind, I heard someone say that Leblanc is a pretty good sized guy so for him to go down as easily as he apparently did is kind of ridiculous and someone check simpson from behind and got a 2 min, just what I heard. So even if the Sioux had a bad game, wouldn't it be hard to get yourself going if some of these calls keep happening from the refs? Like I said i didn't watch the game so maybe the Sioux did play that bad. Just curious what your thought were and anyone else. Ok i have more to rant but not good at putting things into words

I would feel a whole lot better about the officiating that we saw this weekend if next year we had a league run right. I thought the Sioux were movers and shakers in the new league. How in the wide wide world of sports did we end up with the director of officials being the only ref who has publicly stated his hatred for the Sioux (and hosed us again this weekend). What is Faison doing - I wish Sioux fans would insist on a public accounting from Faison on why this tool was selected for the new league. Have we no say in things at all. Someone needs to come clean on what happened because it is not good news for Sioux hockey.

I'm kind of curious why they would pick Adams for the NCHC after what he said and I'm wondering why he still officiates Sioux games. I wouldv liked Gasperini to be in charge of the NCHC in some way but he's with St. Cloud so that won't happen. Im not trying to be a homer if I sound like one. If St. Cloud or any team beat us and we played like sh*t im fine with that but would they have won if the correct calls were made, if so great.

I'm kind of curious why they would pick Adams for the NCHC after what he said and I'm wondering why he still officiates Sioux games. I wouldv liked Gasperini to be in charge of the NCHC in some way but he's with St. Cloud so that won't happen. Im not trying to be a homer if I sound like one. If St. Cloud or any team beat us and we played like sh*t im fine with that but would they have won if the correct calls were made, if so great.

All I can say is, the hiring of Don Adam is a major head scratchier for me. I guess the coaches to a man wanted this guy so... I don't know, I guess the NCHC coaches think he's a good official. I can't figure it out... The problem I have seen with the SCSU game on Saturday night and I have watched the game about three times on my DVR and it appears that is that Tim Walsh is definitely the weak link of the two officials.

Quotes after Don Adam was named head of officials:

NCHC coaches are enthusiastic about the new conference executive:

George Gwozdecky- University of Denver- "For over two decades, Don Adam has been regarded as one of the top hockey officials in the NCAA. His leadership skills, organizational ability along with his experience will be a valuable asset to the conference and will assure that, under his direction, the league will receive the finest collegiate officiating available."

Rico Blasi - Miami University Ohio "It's very exciting to have someone like Don with the knowledge and experience leading our on-ice officials. Along with his experience, his communication skills make Don a great asset."

Dean Blais - University Nebraska at Omaha- "Don Adam brings a wealth of experience in officiating to the National Collegiate Hockey Conference. Don, as Director of Officiating, will be active in evaluating, recruiting, coaching and directing our conference officiating staff according to NCAA rules and regulations. He is a great communicator and will have a lot of significant responsibilities with our new conference. We are all looking forward to his role and leadership with our officiating program."

Dave Hakstol - University of North Dakota- "Don is very well respected throughout college hockey. Over the years his officiating style has constantly evolved as changes have come to the way the game is played and he is very well equipped to build a quality staff of officials for the NCHC."

And: "Don has always been the personification of an honest, well-prepared and knowledgeable official. What more can you ask for?" - Lou Vairo - 1984 United States Olympic Hockey Coach • Former Assistant Coach; New Jersey Devils (NHL) • Currently: Director, Special Projects; USA Hockey

Maybe people actually in college hockey know or see something that fans don't about the situation.

Quotes after Don Adam was named head of officials:

Maybe people actually in college hockey know or see something that fans don't about the situation.

There is a positive to this move... It does take a bad on ice official off of the ice.

• Upvote 3

Yea i remember reading that in the paper too but what else can the coaches say when the press asks them about the decision.

They don't have to put in so many specifics. They could say something simple like "We are happy to have Don join the NCHC. He will be a great addition to the league." Instead they talked about how well respected he is within college hockey, how much knowledge he has and all of his great experience. And I don't think that Lou Vairo is answering to anyone in the NCHC so he can probably say whatever he wants.

They don't have to put in so many specifics. They could say something simple like "We are happy to have Don join the NCHC. He will be a great addition to the league." Instead they talked about how well respected he is within college hockey, how much knowledge he has and all of his great experience. And I don't think that Lou Vairo is answering to anyone in the NCHC so he can probably say whatever he wants.

Yeah you got a point

I just watched the cfb on jordan schmaltz and it looked bad so I'm ok with that call. Thanks for putting that up Goon. Could u possibly put the one up on Dillon Simpson?

It looked bad because Leblanc went into "rag doll" mode instead of playing straight up like a man. Everybody watch the video on Goon's blog and see how slowly Schmaltz is coming towards Leblanc.

I'd like to know what Brian Burke thought of the penalty. He was there. Don Adam would be a laughingstock if he was in the NHL.

I'm old too, Fetch, and I also tend to like what I have. But when you're old you also realize that nothing is ever what it was--that change is what brought us to a good place. The WCHA is not the same conference I grew up on, but it has been a wonderful experience. The quality of hockey in the new conference will be right up there with the best in the country. Adam will be off the ice. I won't have to stay up real late two nights a year. My medications won't be affected, and my prostate is not bound to get any worse. I will greatly miss the gopher and badger rivalries, but when they bring home the banner in April '13 the Sioux will not have kicked the last gopher azz.

And yes, it's a good thing Adam is upstairs and not on the ice.

• Upvote 1

It looked bad because Leblanc went into "rag doll" mode instead of playing straight up like a man. Everybody watch the video on Goon's blog and see how slowly Schmaltz is coming towards Leblanc.

I'd like to know what Brian Burke thought of the penalty. He was there. Don Adam would be a laughingstock if he was in the NHL.

I watch the clip on my phone, couldn't really see much on the regular camera. From were the on ice camera starts I guess I couldn't tell how fast Jordan was coming in, so I guess would be nice to see a longer clip of it

Okay just watched the holka hit on simpson, thanks for posting that Goon. That hit didnt look as bad but he pushed into Simpson more against the boards. Simpson didn't go down like LeBlanc did but Leblanc couldv made it look that bad. I could be thinking with my green head here but I don't remember a Sioux player making a hit look bad, they've always got back up unless they were physically unable to.

• Upvote 1

It looks like Simpson took the hit but that was still numbers to the aggressor causing you to go into the boards. Jordan's hit was a good call you are going to run someone over near the boards from behind even if he shrinks into rag doll mode you should get the shower. Patton scored how seeing the puck completely in white under the bar is waived off with a top down view sounds like wcha officials. I know they are old but what do you need a 50 inch hd tv for reviews?