SiouxSports.com Forum

Red Pepper White Sauce Recipe

BobIwabuchiFan

Thanks, I'm gonna have to try this out. Hopefully it comes close to being almost like the real thing.....

This is how it is done.

Cook hamburger

Once hamburger cooked drain fat

Use, what can only be described as a potato masher, to break up the hamburger so you have fine pieces and not large chunks

in bowl mix oatmeal(Quaker Oats and not instant) and some water. amounts depend on how much hamburger. I think i usually do about a cup of oats for every pound of hamburger

Pour the oatmeal and water into the hamburger pan and cook it until you know its done, stirring on occasion. That unmistakeable smell and texture you will be good to go.

Every once in awhile the Northside Hugos will put out the grinder buns for customers to buy. You may also request they make you some as well, which may require some extra time.

My kids can't tell the difference between my grinders and red peppers.

Laddie's on 28th like I wrote before.

That would be L & M Meats on the corner of 28th Avenue South and South Washington. L & M was originally known as Laddie's for the original owner, Ladislav (Laddie) Novak. They changed the name when they moved to the new location from the old one on State Mill Road about 10 years ago. Laddie's story of surviving World War II and finding a way to get himself and his family to North Dakota, then getting into the business, is very interesting. A couple of his sons still run the business. And a lot of people still call it Laddie's.

That would be L & M Meats on the corner of 28th Avenue South and South Washington. L & M was originally known as Laddie's for the original owner, Ladislav (Laddie) Novak. They changed the name when they moved to the new location from the old one on State Mill Road about 10 years ago. Laddie's story of surviving World War II and finding a way to get himself and his family to North Dakota, then getting into the business, is very interesting. A couple of his sons still run the business. And a lot of people still call it Laddie's.

You forgot Marie. The old one stayed open for a while after the new one opened. Was it ever called Laddie's officially or dd we all just call it that? I can't remember.

You forgot Marie. The old one stayed open for a while after the new one opened. Was it ever called Laddie's officially or dd we all just call it that? I can't remember.

I don't remember if it was officially Laddie's or not. But I know they put an emphasis on the L & M name after they opened the south end store, I thought they changed it because I don't really remember the L & M name much before the new store. I put Marie in as family to try and keep the post a little shorter. But she is a big part of the story. Their oldest child was born while they were still in Europe. It is really an American success story.

I don't remember if it was officially Laddie's or not. But I know they put an emphasis on the L & M name after they opened the south end store, I thought they changed it because I don't really remember the L & M name much before the new store. I put Marie in as family to try and keep the post a little shorter. But she is a big part of the story. Their oldest child was born while they were still in Europe. It is really an American success story.

Somebody call Jeff and ask him. I remember when Jeff, Ron Bushy, Tim Anderson, Paul Endres, and I forget whoelse had their beer league hockey team and called themselves the Butchers. I remember the started using L&M after they opened the new store also. Nobody else here been around GF long enough to remember? Where's GeauSioux he was around for years he might remember.

The white sauce recipe is correct, the hot sauce is tomato juice ground redpepper and the trick is to microwave it. The trick to making taco meat a paste is to add about a whole onion that is finely chopped to the raw hamburger and fry the onion away, that makes it pastey. My kids hate onions and they never know they are in there, and they say it is red pepper taco meat everytime. The trick to the seasoning for the red peppers taco meat is ..............................ready for this, chili powder. Good stuff. I think it still tastes better when someone makes it for you though.. All their ingredients are bought at GFG, from day one......

The only thing I can't figure out is their cheese (colby) no matter where or what I buy it doesnt have the same taste.

Somebody call Jeff and ask him. I remember when Jeff, Ron Bushy, Tim Anderson, Paul Endres, and I forget whoelse had their beer league hockey team and called themselves the Butchers. I remember the started using L&M after they opened the new store also. Nobody else here been around GF long enough to remember? Where's GeauSioux he was around for years he might remember.

This is our area's history, the best meat ever, Laddies, and now L&M, thats a no brainer if you have lived here longer than 15 years, everybody knows this!

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I have been trying to replicate the Pepper's mexi-burgers (not the taco burger). My kids have a lot of fun with this because I'm not getting very close to the Pepper's distinct flavor. Any former employees or Pepper aficionados have any suggestions?

Before or after Laddie's was USDA certfied? Where did they get it before Sam's came to town? Would you agree that it is summer sausage and not salumi?

I'm guessing summer sausage, but someone that knows would need to ask L&M. Salami is a very long (36 months) process of fermentation and then drying. Summer sausage can be mixed, stuffed, and smoked immediately, in all flavors of ground beef or ground pork/ground beef combo's. As much as I like grinders, I don't think the reasonable cost could stay as it is if using meats that take that much processing time, which raises costs considerably. There are several sausages called salami that are seasoned, stuffed, smoked and cooked, but those are really only summer sausage as well.

Not sure that the sticks that L&M sent out to ND grocery stores are the same as you in GF are buying at the L&M store, but, by comparison, they come no where near the flavor of similar products we make in the smokehouse at the Crosby Supervalu store (comparing our jalapeno cheddar sticks to theirs). I have not had the pleasure of trying the sticks right at the store off the shelves on L&M, however.

A very popular item is our ground turkey jalapeno cheddar pepper jack summer sausage. I think I may try that thin sliced on a grinder of my own, using some of the info that others have posted to get the meat/white sauce/hot sauce right.

I'm guessing summer sausage, but someone that knows would need to ask L&M. Salami is a very long (36 months) process of fermentation and then drying. Summer sausage can be mixed, stuffed, and smoked immediately, in all flavors of ground beef or ground pork/ground beef combo's. As much as I like grinders, I don't think the reasonable cost could stay as it is if using meats that take that much processing time, which raises costs considerably. There are several sausages called salami that are seasoned, stuffed, smoked and cooked, but those are really only summer sausage as well.

Not sure that the sticks that L&M sent out to ND grocery stores are the same as you in GF are buying at the L&M store, but, by comparison, they come no where near the flavor of similar products we make in the smokehouse at the Crosby Supervalu store (comparing our jalapeno cheddar sticks to theirs). I have not had the pleasure of trying the sticks right at the store off the shelves on L&M, however.

A very popular item is our ground turkey jalapeno cheddar pepper jack summer sausage. I think I may try that thin sliced on a grinder of my own, using some of the info that others have posted to get the meat/white sauce/hot sauce right.

It is just summer sausage. It is not dried and cured. The sticks are the same in the store as sold elsewhere. As for salami I prefer what comes out of Toronto. Molinari is good but not as good as what the Italians in Toronto make.

• 9 months later...

I give up. Too many obstacles to make the grinder sauces. Will just have to suffer without and cherish the memories.

Don't get caught up by brands; just add milk to a cheap brand salad dressing, mix it to white sauce consistency, then add lots of black pepper. I like white pepper as well (a long time ago someone that worked there said they also added white pepper), but some more recent workers said just black pepper. You'll get close enough it won't make a difference.

The hardest to find match is the buns, apparently sold at times in Hugo's, but I haven't found similar buns anywhere away from GF.

Don't get caught up by brands; just add milk to a cheap brand salad dressing, mix it to white sauce consistency, then add lots of black pepper. I like white pepper as well (a long time ago someone that worked there said they also added white pepper), but some more recent workers said just black pepper. You'll get close enough it won't make a difference.

The hardest to find match is the buns, apparently sold at times in Hugo's, but I haven't found similar buns anywhere away from GF.

Hugo's use to have them all the time years ago. They use to also make 6" sub buns and a great Vienna bread. Can't get any of them anymore.